Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember the last time we played Arsenal

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
What I remember vividly about that game is that we played Southend in a freight rover trophy game a week or so before the arsenal game & it was advertised that if you attended that game you would receive a stub guaranteeing you a ticket for the arsenal game.On the night of that game I arrived at the goldstone about 15 minuetes earlier than normal & the queues to get in the north stand stretched close to the east stand entrances yet the match only attracted 7000 fans.

Remember going to this game to get the magic stub, so many people paying to get in, then turning round and walking out!!

Also had to go in the North West due to North selling out.

I would have been 11 at the time and it is the first Albion game I remember being really annoyed we didn't get a result. I have disliked Perry Groves ever since, to the point I always cheered when he cocked up on that 5-a-side game they had on LiveTV! when he came on as the joker.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Remember going with a bunch of lads from Littlehampton, top day, top lads, those were the days. Great fun both inside and outside the ground.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I was in the south as a 12 year old and the Nelson goal was right in front of me. We had a good side for Div3 and so it proved when we went up. Nelse had a good cup run, didn't he score in each round? Not sure about Northampton but he definitely scored v Brentford (that goal!) Bournemouth and Arsenal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was a great game. We weren't in our normal place, had seats somewhere near the back of the West Stand, but it went mental (as mental as the West Stand could) when Nelosn scored. Marvellous stuff.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
BHA v Arse.jpg

Jimmy Grimble

The North Stand looks f***ing MASSIVE in that video!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Arsenal had the whole of the east terrace that day. Not sure how many it held as cant remember what was open or not....

I remember that very well because I had to switch sides - I used to stand on the East Terrace before I moved into the North Stand about a season later. It was 8,000 they brought, I think - the entire East Terrace was still open in those days.

Edit: 8,000 Arsenal fans but a total attendance of only 26-and-a-half-thousand-ish? I don't bloody think so - there must have been 30,000+ in the ground that day, but the attendances then were never even close to accurately reported. As somebody else has already said, you've got to wonder how much money was siphoned out of the gate receipts by persons unknown in those days.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
When was the night league game when it really properly kicked off?

That is possibly my first ever Albion game, what with Dad being a Gooner, and us recently moving down from Reading, from where Dad used to take me to Highbury.

We were in the North East that night, and some bloke climbed over the fence, getting away from the violence, using my head as a step down!

That was my first ever game too, my brother took me and he's a gooner! Was in the North and it all kicked off, a lad from school broke his leg trying to climb over the fence. My brother was bricking it because he thought i's out him as an Arsenal fan.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Had a slight fisticuff bout in the park after the match.
Actually chased some bloke for ages ha ha I could then !!
Ah those were the days

Lots of fights, went on well into the night. I remember straight after the game both set of fans lining up exchanging punches, my pal got stuck straight in, I hesitated and by the time I went for it the Arsenal fans were running away, chased them down the road for a bit. Then walking round to Hove station there was plenty of skirmishes, I ended up with bruised knuckles and ripped jacket.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Then there was the four nil home defeat .....sigh

Our first home game in the old first division. The thing I remember from that was their big ginger header defender, a pumped up version of El-Ab, nothing got passed him on that day. Can't remember his name.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Our first home game in the old first division. The thing I remember from that was their big ginger header defender, a pumped up version of El-Ab, nothing got passed him on that day. Can't remember his name.

Willie Young, who later signed for the Albion. By that time, everything did get past him, according to many accounts.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The North Stand looks f***ing MASSIVE in that video!

Don't know about massive but it was very full, I was right in the middle of it.

Maybe we should complement the half and half scarves by nominating the game late-80s fancy dress, in honour of the last time we played the Arse. I'll happily squeeze into a pair of sky blue Lois cords and grey Hush Puppies for the occasion.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I can remember oh so well May 1979 v Newcastle 1:3 and promotion. Four months of excitement and the top league on its way. The fixtures come out and its Arsenal at home game one. 0:4 and the bubble was burst.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] was apparently a BALL BOY for this match. :ohmy:

Oh boy. I can't believe there are no photos of this. Photos that we must SEE.

Jimmy Grimble

Don't know about massive but it was very full, I was right in the middle of it.

As someone with little to no recollection of the North Stand, who only's real experience of a 'Brighton kop' is the Amex NS - then the Goldstone NS in that video most definitely looks massive!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here