Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember the last time we played Arsenal

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
This may be a false memory, but I was in the chicken run that day and seem to recall having to wait outside the ground, hanging around in the street behind the South stand end of the ground on police instruction while they let the Arsenal fans, 8000 of them, go past on their way to Hove Station. Which they evidently then set fire to - I didn't know that until today.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
one of the few games I couldnt get into the north stand so i had to make do with the west stand, remember donkey Adams playing for them...
think tickets were £8 a match that season to get into the north stand...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
When was the night league game when it really properly kicked off?

That is possibly my first ever Albion game, what with Dad being a Gooner, and us recently moving down from Reading, from where Dad used to take me to Highbury.

We were in the North East that night, and some bloke climbed over the fence, getting away from the violence, using my head as a step down!

That was the League Cup game in '79. I'll always remember that night - got a right old kicking and broken nose after the game.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
was talking about the Arsenal game at the Goldstone on another thread last week. It was a cracking day, I'd never seen the North stand so packed out.
When Nelson put in his thunderbolt the Northstand went loopy and I was crushed against a barrier in front of me.
From what I remember we had a lot of the game and they were a touch lucky.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
This may be a false memory, but I was in the chicken run that day and seem to recall having to wait outside the ground, hanging around in the street behind the South stand end of the ground on police instruction while they let the Arsenal fans, 8000 of them, go past on their way to Hove Station. Which they evidently then set fire to - I didn't know that until today.

Arsenal had the whole of the east terrace that day. Not sure how many it held as cant remember what was open or not....

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Two words.....

Ginger Tosser

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Never forget the last time we played Arsenal at the Goldstone. For me, it was about the time I really got into the Albion. Great game and we played really well, lost 2-1 in the end. Gary Nelson's equaliser was a beauty! Loads of punch ups after the game, we ran them ragged and it was great (are we still allowed to say these things?) they set fire to Hove station waiting room.

Yes, I think it was the catalyst for me to. Although I was 13, had a stool to stand on and wasn't interested in any punch-ups. Up in the NE corner, absolutely packed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was the League Cup game in '79. I'll always remember that night - got a right old kicking and broken nose after the game.
I was 9, in the North West, watching it all kicking off.
I'm going to claim it as my first ever Goldstone experience, as that was the Summer we returned from the grim north, and I doubt we would have gone to any Brighton games, earlier that season.

Happy days.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
ANY excuse:

nelson.jpg

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
one of the few games I couldnt get into the north stand so i had to make do with the west stand, remember donkey Adams playing for them...
think tickets were £8 a match that season to get into the north stand...
I wonder if the press would get away with photo shopping a donkey head onto a player now ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Love that little surge in the North when Bremner misses. I was further back in the liveliest bit, right on the barrier. When Nelson scored I couldn't breathe for what seemed like 15 seconds.
I'd forgotten that Trusson turn when he takes out three of their players. Vicente-esque.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Love that little surge in the North when Bremner misses. I was further back in the liveliest bit, right on the barrier. When Nelson scored I couldn't breathe for what seemed like 15 seconds.
I'd forgotten that Trusson turn when he takes out three of their players. Vicente-esque.

Yep,would have been right in the surge,fantastic North stand.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great equaliser from Garry Nelson down the South end. Remember the North being packed out and that ginger c@@t Groves scoring the winner in front of the North. Also remember Hove station being on fire!
This.

Also remember Kevin Bremner swivvelling and screwing his shot wide from about 6 yards in front of the north stand that would have earned a draw, or possibly even put us in front at the time.

I went to most games that season including all the cup games. Loved that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here