Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Priced out of promotion?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Oh right, so we're too thick to have worked that out or absorbed if from when it's been said every year for the last 10. Glad you cleared that up.

Quite why he needs to explain something we all know is a bit of a mystery to me but hey ho obviously not a whinge if you're Gus,

Hey don't get angry at me! It's only the internet!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Its plain and simple really. Once the Amex is open we need to fill it and show our support. The more support, the more money is available to

1) Pay back Tony Bloom, because without him, no stadium
2) Be able to buy players and compete with the likes of Southampton

There is a limit to how deep someones pockets are. If you had just used 90 million of your own money and had 10 million in the bank left would you start paying out millions of pounds for players?

The answer would probably be NO. Its up to us now to get to the Amex and make this a success.

Thing is we don't need to compete with Southampton. We just need to spend enough on one player that'll give us the cutting edge! That's all league one needs! A decent squad and a stand out talent and you stand a very, very good shot at promotion.

A la Zamora, Knight.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hey don't get angry at me! It's only the internet!

Sorry, did I come cross as angry? It's just I'm not as lovestruck with Gus ( wonderful though I think he is) as some on here who don't like to see him questioned in any way. It's like all love affairs when they start, you'll all be slagging him off after 5 defeats :lolol:

I'd better change my way of expressing myself as I wasn't even vaguely angry :down:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Sorry, did I come cross as angry? It's just I'm not as lovestruck with Gus ( wonderful though I think he is) as some on here who don't like to see him questioned in any way. It's like all love affairs when they start, you'll all be slagging him off after 5 defeats :lolol:

I'd better change my way of expressing myself as I wasn't even vaguely angry :down:

I guess just read it differently to how it was intended! I just felt his words had been taken the wrong the way thats all. I may be wrong though!

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Talk about all these so called 'big spenders' and promotion, makes me think of one club less well off than us, less glamorous than Saints, probably players on the same level / wages as us, managed to get out of this league and stay up................................Scunthorpe.
Find it annoying that having failed to sign this 'special player', he'll probably continue to kick his heels at his current club, not going for a promotion with us.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Talk about all these so called 'big spenders' and promotion, makes me think of one club less well off than us, less glamorous than Saints, probably players on the same level / wages as us, managed to get out of this league and stay up................................Scunthorpe.
Find it annoying that having failed to sign this 'special player', he'll probably continue to kick his heels at his current club, not going for a promotion with us.

Looking through the list of loan deals completed yesterday, the only who fits the 'special player' category was Aaron Ramsey who's gone to Forest for 6 weeks - were we after him??

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's quite clearly a comment from Gus aimed at Bloom. How can no one see that?

Why else would he make the (slightly petulant) comment that he will now ONLY be looking at players that he cannot afford?

I disagree.

He doesn't say "I'm only signing players I can't afford" he says "My targets from now on are going to be players that improve the team dramatically, except if it is an emergency."

Which suggests he has taken on board the issue of budgets/costs, and is letting TB know that from now on when he goes to him it will only be for a player he feels will dramatically improve the team, while also understanding we can't compete for that sort of player at the moment, so showing an understanding that he may not get them. (While most of those types of players are more expensive, Calderon, Lualua, Ankergren, Kishishev are signs that not all of them are out of our wage budget).

Perhaps he believes if we stay at the top for a while longer, potential signings will see us as having the sort of potential that compensates for lower wages in the short term, so will be able to compete for the better signings.

(It could also be seen as a comment towards the fans - "don't expect a lot of signings, I'm not going to sign someone for the sake of signing someone").

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
Priced out of promotion ? Never heard such bullshit. Lets look at Blackpool, what 4 years ago they were sitting in League One just like us and they've hardly got money themselves, now they've managed to get themselves in the Premier League with such a small budget, so that's why i think we can win the league :)

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Finding that gem....improving willing players ,taking a punt . This is what will give Gus his CV and us promotion (i hope ). When was the last time we splashed the cash , i remember and it nearly cost us the club . Lets not get into the bloom or bust treadmill , lets find that 3rd division spanish winger and stay solvent

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Well let's beat FC United, and then get a money-spinning away tie, which will pay the sky high wages of a new signing. How about it, Gus ? :lol:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
We have already lost points since LauLua was injuried yet supporters are saying its okay we are top of the league,What counts is where we are at the END OF THE SEASON, thats what counts. We lost many fans when we were relegated from the Championship and few of those will return until we are promoted, once you have lost the habit of attending regularly and have got used to watching Premiership footy on Sky you are not going to be lured back by the standard of football we have to endure in league one, talk of increased sponsorship and TV fees will only happen if we are successful in being promoted.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think he's out of order comparing us with Southampton and having a whinge about it as absolutely nothing has changed since he signed his contract.

Just stop posturing and get back to managing Gus :thumbsup:

Was he whinging or just stating facts?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If he was managing expectations he'd hardly tell us the very confusing special player and one other story and then state that he's only gonna buy players we clearly can't afford. Nope it's mischevious and a bit eccentric

I think he's just a bit eccentric. Seems to just shoot off at the mouth in a semi-random manner a la Holloway. When results are going the Albion's way, we get one bit of random rant. Bit of a setback and we get a different kind of random rant. Its fairly entertaining for sure, but in the end its all just semi-coherent shooting off at the mouth. Bless.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Quite easy to believe that a Southampton centre back is on the same wage as out four centre halves combined.

Complete guess.

Jaidi or Fonte - £8,000

Greer £4,000
Elphick £1,500
El-Abd - £2,000
Dunk - £500

I know that Elphick earns £3000 a week and Dunk signed a contract at £500 rising to £800 in his second year (which is now I think)

I'd guess El-Abds on about the same as Elphick whilst Greer being on about £4000, yeh.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Dont bring us into it Gus. Not our fault if you can't keep up with the big boys.

Sounds to me like he's already carting out the reasons why he'll be leaving for West Ham in the not to distant future. (which i hope doesnt happen btw)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here