Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Priced out of promotion?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, that's bollocks. We're "money bags Brighton".

Phil Parkinson, Nigel Atkins and Gary Johnson told me.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He's right though, we certainly have not got the cash to significantly strengthen this rather bare bones team, which in my opinion is not going to last the season, I'll settle for a play off spot but I can't see us making an auto spot with the likes of Huddersfield and SCC around.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Maybe agents and other managers are starting to believe their own hype, that we actually are "megabucks Brighton". There's no doubt that the financing of the stadium makes it look, to the outside world, that we have more money than we actually do. To spend on players, anyway.

I'm pretty sure Gus will look to strengthen in January so it is important that we maintain our form until then. Coiclhester could be massive.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm pretty sure Gus will look to strengthen in January so it is important that we maintain our form until then. Coiclhester could be massive.

It's beyond massive. I think whoever we're playing we need to get three points in the league and get the momentum back. The fact it's against a team who'll be looking to challenge us come the end of the season - massive!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There may be a certain amount of subterfuge here, Gus may have made that statement to dispel the rumours of us being mega rich and thus agents might think twice before trying to squeeze us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fully understand the reasons why nobody arrived, but "special" players are obviously going to come at a premium, so it was a bit unwise to build peoples hopes up by mentioning this in the first place.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Gus might be again hinting to Bloom that maybe he could just loosen the purse strings a little.

Particularly the bit where he talks about ONLY going for players now that he...well, "can't" afford.

Feb 14, 2010
There may be a certain amount of subterfuge here, Gus may have made that statement to dispel the rumours of us being mega rich and thus agents might think twice before trying to squeeze us.

It is the chairmans money and for him to decide if he thinks the price is too high. Its his cash and can spend it as he wants, so i dont blame him if the agents / footballers are jacking their prices up and he is saying that he wont pay it. I would do the same.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
It's beyond massive. I think whoever we're playing we need to get three points in the league and get the momentum back. The fact it's against a team who'll be looking to challenge us come the end of the season - massive!

Agreed!

Interestingly, in the print version, at the end of the article Poyet says:

"I am not one to bring in bodies or shirts or numbers. I'm not going to have 39 players. I think the group we have and the way we train every day and the quality we have here in terms of player and person is good.

"Any new signing will have to be much better and unfortunately right now we cannot get him."

The last sentance sounds like there was a specific player that we were unable to get but may be able to in future. Or am I reading too much into it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It is the chairmans money and for him to decide if he thinks the price is too high. Its his cash and can spend it as he wants, so i dont blame him if the agents / footballers are jacking their prices up and he is saying that he wont pay it. I would do the same.

Quite so, far too many teams going into administration as they make hopes a priority over fiscal responsibility.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's acting like it's a surprise which I find a bit disconcerting. He is setting himself up to be prised away by a club who can afford these players he wants. Gus knew before a ball was kicked what his budget was and the type of players he could afford.

Bit mischevious imo and maybe a bit too ambitious for little Brighton

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's acting like it's a surprise which I find a bit disconcerting. He is setting himself up to be prised away by a club who can afford these players he wants. Gus knew before a ball was kicked what his budget was and the type of players he could afford.

Bit mischevious imo and maybe a bit too ambitious for little Brighton
I think you're reading too much into it. IMO, far more likely that he's managing expecations of fans and agents alike.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
REALITY CHECK:

"People don’t realise, for example, that one of the centre-halves that played for Southampton on Tuesday night earns what my four centre-halves earn together".

This should be posted on Southampton's message board alongside a picture of the current league table.

Hahahahaha.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you're reading too much into it. IMO, far more likely that he's managing expecations of fans and agents alike.

And a hint to Bloom?

Why else would he say that he is now ONLY looking to buy players he can't afford?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Well, lets hope that we are not in League One for another three or four seasons then. I appreciate we are cash poor whilst at Withdean, but next season if we (shudder) are still in League One then we have really got to start loosening the purse strings for special players, speculate to accumulate. The revenue in The Championship is way beyond League One, I understand TV Fees alone are around £6 million per season. Still, we are still top and if we can get through this wobble then we can go forth and beyond!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
REALITY CHECK:

"People don’t realise, for example, that one of the centre-halves that played for Southampton on Tuesday night earns what my four centre-halves earn together".

Just shows what a load of shite players wages are because I didn't see any Southampton centre back worth 4x ours players wages on Tuesday, they were equal at best, so Southampton are just getting ripped off playing 4x times our wages.
What Tony Bloom has given the club is long term stability not trying to be a one season wonder by overspending to try and secure promotion, Gus knew the score, having endured 13 years without a real home and a pretty poor squad (bar the Adams/Coppell glory years) I'm prepared to wait a bit longer to afford (if really needed) players of real quality rather than who demand stupid money from a div one club. Love to see Lua lua back on loan though.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Well, lets hope that we are not in League One for another three or four seasons then. I appreciate we are cash poor whilst at Withdean, but next season if we (shudder) are still in League One then we have really got to start loosening the purse strings for special players, speculate to accumulate. The revenue in The Championship is way beyond League One, I understand TV Fees alone are around £6 million per season. Still, we are still top and if we can get through this wobble then we can go forth and beyond!

Makes you wonder also how we managed to get promoted from this division, twice, under Knight's chairmanship when we spent far less money. Admittedly there was no-one spending the amount Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday (pre-season) and Huddersfield have, but it shows it can be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here