Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Priced out of promotion?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There may be a certain amount of subterfuge here, Gus may have made that statement to dispel the rumours of us being mega rich and thus agents might think twice before trying to squeeze us.

I'm getting sick of that line, people have been saying this since before the season started, Gus has been trying to tell us all along that he does not have the cash, but people are just stick their heads in the sand and hoping that it's all a lie and actually we are filthy rich, we are not, some people need a reality check.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
REALITY CHECK:

"People don’t realise, for example, that one of the centre-halves that played for Southampton on Tuesday night earns what my four centre-halves earn together".

I don't think you're reading to much into it. He is looking for a certain type and I'm pretty sure that mean't a certain player.

We obviously cannot compete wages wise, but if we were ever going to speculate to accumulate now would be the safest time to do it, shirly? While we're sitting four points clear at the top!

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The problem is our income which has to cover the costs of acquisition and wages. We lose 50% of home gate money to BCC and earn nothing from away games. This is why we already lose £4M a year.

Next year, wherever we are, all the income is ours and we can spend more.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Its been an age old problem for any manager in the Albion hot seat.

How to provide champagne football on lemonade money?

I want to try and remain upbeat as possible, we are still 4 clear, but before Jan we welcome Charlton to withers...... mahooosive match.

I don't think our squad is strong enough to lead the pack till season end, and come Jan every target we want (who is better than what we have), will also have other offers I'm sure.

The difference in revenues between League 1 and Championship is vast, and if we want to get our hand on that extra cash, we do have to improve the squad if we want an automatic promotion spot.

I am greatly disappointed that "very special player + will get cover for sure [for lua lua]" ended being nothing at all.

We need to hammer home and build on our advantage, not cling onto it with patched up team and inadequate quality cover

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It is the chairmans money and for him to decide if he thinks the price is too high. Its his cash and can spend it as he wants, so i dont blame him if the agents / footballers are jacking their prices up and he is saying that he wont pay it. I would do the same.

Some people didn't think kindly of our previous chairman when he did exactly the same.

:amex::albion1:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's beyond massive. I think whoever we're playing we need to get three points in the league and get the momentum back. The fact it's against a team who'll be looking to challenge us come the end of the season - massive!

Bees just turned them over at home, so they must be vulnerable. And they seem to draw a lot of games, so presumably their defence is better than their attack, at least until the boys from Griffin Park called in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you're reading too much into it. IMO, far more likely that he's managing expecations of fans and agents alike.

If he was managing expectations he'd hardly tell us the very confusing special player and one other story and then state that he's only gonna buy players we clearly can't afford. Nope it's mischevious and a bit eccentric

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Makes you wonder also how we managed to get promoted from this division, twice, under Knight's chairmanship when we spent far less money. Admittedly there was no-one spending the amount Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday (pre-season) and Huddersfield have, but it shows it can be done.

I think you answered your own question. And you can add other teams who are clearly speculating to accumulate (we couldn't compete with Notts County for goodness sake). We know it's a high risk strategy and one I am happy for us to avoid. We've got a good squad and we're generally playing well. If we can avoid any more injuries, we'll do OK.

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
I have to say as a Tranmere fan living in Eastbourne I would love us to have the budget Gus has at Brighton, we released our accounts this week and our total salary budget £2.6m was just under half Brightons for 2009 and its been decreased further still this season

I know we are not going for promotion but think you have the budget for promotion and will do it

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I think you answered your own question. And you can add other teams who are clearly speculating to accumulate (we couldn't compete with Notts County for goodness sake). We know it's a high risk strategy and one I am happy for us to avoid. We've got a good squad and we're generally playing well. If we can avoid any more injuries, we'll do OK.

My point was, though, that despite there being far bigger spenders when we got the two promotions, we still managed to go up. That same principle applies this year and it has been Gus' mantra all along - we will not have the best individuals but we need to be the best team. That is what has brought us our success so far this season and, with the addition of a left-winger in January, I see no reason why our form cannot continue.

The problem is our income which has to cover the costs of acquisition and wages. We lose 50% of home gate money to BCC and earn nothing from away games. This is why we already lose £4M a year.

The club's income from all sources (ie match day tickets, TV, FL, commercial etc) doesn't currently cover the wage bill and the loss stated in the last set of published accounts (2008/9) was over £4.6M. This was covered, as were the previous seasons' losses, by the current chairman and other directors; presumably this will be reflected in the 2009/10 accounts by the issue of new shares.

The Swiss Ramble: Good Old Sussex By The Sea

Next year, wherever we are, all the income is ours and we can spend more.
Hmmm, I somehow doubt that it'll be quite as simple as that. The stadium company will/should operate as a separate business from the football club (it is a separate legal entity) and I would see the SC charging the club for the use of the facilities, just as anyone hiring a conference, meeting room etc will be charged. After all, the SC does have a few quid to pay back for the stadium build.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Quite easy to believe that a Southampton centre back is on the same wage as out four centre halves combined.

Complete guess.

Jaidi or Fonte - £8,000

Greer £4,000
Elphick £1,500
El-Abd - £2,000
Dunk - £500

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I’m sorry I love Gus but stop f***ing moaning please, much smaller and poorer teams have achieved promotion from this division on very limited resources.

I find it a little bit embarrassing that he is pointing out the disparity between our budget and saint’s budget when we have a much larger budget than the majority of teams competing in this league. I’m glad we are not trying to compete with saints suicidal spending and IMO Gus should be proud we are leading the way with a much more modest squad, playing attractive football.
Something that has been proved on numerous occasions at this level, is that a decent manager can achieve success without the need to spend like saints have.

Rant over.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's quite clearly a comment from Gus aimed at Bloom. How can no one see that?

Why else would he make the (slightly petulant) comment that he will now ONLY be looking at players that he cannot afford?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Quite easy to believe that a Southampton centre back is on the same wage as out four centre halves combined.

Complete guess.

Jaidi or Fonte - £8,000

Greer £4,000
Elphick £1,500
El-Abd - £2,000
Dunk - £500

And if that guess is correct, then that's still bloody good money.

Do we really want to be spending 8k a week on players at this moment in time, I say NO
However we can have players like this is we fill The Amex every game. However if we end up getting like MK Dons, with only 6k through the door we cannot afford it.

Feb 14, 2010
Some people didn't think kindly of our previous chairman when he did exactly the same.

:amex::albion1:

there is a difference between selling the goldstone - athe clubs asset- to a company (that I believe he owned) for about £9 Million to then re sell it a year later for £30 odd million and the club not getting the money, to just not buying a new player. Its the chairman's not the clubs money that funds out#r transfer budget so, some perspective is in order

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like excuses.

Money isnt the Key to promotion

Hilariously ironic coming from someone who supports a club with Harry "I'm a RIDICULOUSLY MASSIVE WHEELER DEALER" Redknapp at the helm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here