Priced out of promotion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
there is a difference between selling the goldstone - athe clubs asset- to a company (that I believe he owned) for about £9 Million to then re sell it a year later for £30 odd million and the club not getting the money, to just not buying a new player. Its the chairman's not the clubs money that funds out#r transfer budget so, some perspective is in order

Think you got the wrong chairman I thought the remark by GOM was about DK saying much the same about spending rather than the other mob.

there is a difference between selling the goldstone - athe clubs asset- to a company (that I believe he owned) for about £9 Million to then re sell it a year later for £30 odd million and the club not getting the money, to just not buying a new player. Its the chairman's not the clubs money that funds out#r transfer budget so, some perspective is in order

I too think you have the wrong chairman here.
As for the chairman's/director's money being used for transfer fees, you may be right but these appear under loans in the club accounts* and have to be repaid somehow.
*Accumulated figure was £16.9M in 2008/9

Feb 14, 2010
I too think you have the wrong chairman here.
As for the chairman's/director's money being used for transfer fees, you may be right but these appear under loans in the club accounts* and have to be repaid somehow.
*Accumulated figure was £16.9M in 2008/9

I thought they meant Archer. I stood up fo DK as well, pointing out it was his money and he could spend it / lend it to whoever he wants. I dont blame Bloom if the price asked was above the market rate for the player. i wouldnt pay over the odds either and nor should Bloom / the Albion

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think Gus might be again hinting to Bloom that maybe he could just loosen the purse strings a little.

Particularly the bit where he talks about ONLY going for players now that he...well, "can't" afford.

It appears that Gus is maybe getting a bit fed up with the money issue fr players ... lets hope this doesn't force him away...

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It appears that Gus is maybe getting a bit fed up with the money issue fr players ... lets hope this doesn't force him away...

He knew exactly our financial situation when he agreed to take over a manager. As he repeatedly said we have around the sixth biggest budget in the division, so it should come as no surprise to him that we can't compete with Southampton, who would probably have the highest budget in the Championship.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He knew exactly our financial situation when he agreed to take over a manager. As he repeatedly said we have around the sixth biggest budget in the division, so it should come as no surprise to him that we can't compete with Southampton, who would probably have the highest budget in the Championship.

It's probably the reason he spent so long in talks re his contract.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He is a good manager, not good enough to change the wage structure set out by the man funding the club. I agree he sounds disgruntled and when he does go I have no doubt it will be in a flounce. I think he's out of order comparing us with Southampton and having a whinge about it as absolutely nothing has changed since he signed his contract.

Just stop posturing and get back to managing Gus :thumbsup:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It's probably the reason he spent so long in talks re his contract.

Exactly, so it's not as if this will have come as a bombshell to him in late Novemeber. I was probably as guilty as anyone else of deluding myself as to our financial clout and believeing "he's only saying that so we don't have to pay over-the-odds for players". The reality is that until we get to Falmer we will not be able to compete financially with the bigger clubs in this division.

Thankfully at this level money isn't everything, and we can compete on the pitch as long as we continue to play in the fashion that got us to the top of the league.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm getting sick of that line, people have been saying this since before the season started, Gus has been trying to tell us all along that he does not have the cash, but people are just stick their heads in the sand and hoping that it's all a lie and actually we are filthy rich, we are not, some people need a reality check.

Sick of what ? There are far too many people who think that TB has the World's deepest pockets when in fact he doesn't want to squander his fortune no matter how big a fan he is. The reality is that we get gates that are between 25-30% of what SCC get hence we don't have their or several others buying power. Unfortunately because we have the stadium costs covered many people think our kitty is a bottomless pit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Makes you wonder also how we managed to get promoted from this division, twice, under Knight's chairmanship when we spent far less money. Admittedly there was no-one spending the amount Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday (pre-season) and Huddersfield have, but it shows it can be done.

It shows it can be done, If you find a Bobby Zamora or a Leon Knight.
That`s probably the only difference.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I find it amazing how some people on here can react to a few words from the manager.

Of course he knew the budget when he started. He's clearly explaining to fans the difference between clubs such as ourselves and Southampton/Huddersfield.

That's not a moan - thats an explanation.

He is managing expectations of people. He said at the start of the season the squad wasn't quite there to challenge at the top! He's hardly changed his line has he!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I find it amazing how some people on here can react to a few words from the manager.

Of course he knew the budget when he started. He's clearly explaining to fans the difference between clubs such as ourselves and Southampton/Huddersfield.

That's not a moan - thats an explanation.

He is managing expectations of people. He said at the start of the season the squad wasn't quite there to challenge at the top! He's hardly changed his line has he!

Oh right, so we're too thick to have worked that out or absorbed if from when it's been said every year for the last 10. Glad you cleared that up.

Quite why he needs to explain something we all know is a bit of a mystery to me but hey ho obviously not a whinge if you're Gus,

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think some on here were getting way too carried away when we were 8 points clear and talking about promotion like it was a given. It certainly isn't. There's a block of about 8 or 9 teams on pretty much the same points below us. At least one of them will go on a run and win the next 4 or 5 games. At leasr 1 of them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think some on here were getting way too carried away when we were 8 points clear and talking about promotion like it was a given. It certainly isn't. There's a block of about 8 or 9 teams on pretty much the same points below us. At least one of them will go on a run and win the next 4 or 5 games. At leasr 1 of them.
Lets hope it isn't the stains.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Oh right, so we're too thick to have worked that out or absorbed if from when it's been said every year for the last 10. Glad you cleared that up.

Quite why he needs to explain something we all know is a bit of a mystery to me but hey ho obviously not a whinge if you're Gus,

Well it's probably more to do with the fact that the reporter asked him the question and he err, answered it. It's hardly a massive defense of Gus having done something absurd, it's just putting things in context a little. It was an explanation, not a moan.

As for being too thick to have worked that out or absorbed... well, you said it...touchy!! :lol:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Its plain and simple really. Once the Amex is open we need to fill it and show our support. The more support, the more money is available to

1) Pay back Tony Bloom, because without him, no stadium
2) Be able to buy players and compete with the likes of Southampton

There is a limit to how deep someones pockets are. If you had just used 90 million of your own money and had 10 million in the bank left would you start paying out millions of pounds for players?

The answer would probably be NO. Its up to us now to get to the Amex and make this a success.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
THE PLAYERS WE HAVE CAN GET US PROMOTION
but I will say that we need to bring on the younger players quickly and maybe have few more squad players with some good experience, Kish being a very good example.
when we get to Falmer we will be able to afford better? players although Gus has found really good players for absolutely nothing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports