Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Project Big Picture

I'm against this but I can see professional football shrinking down to about 50 teams if covid isn't cured by next spring. So a pl of 18 and league's 1/2 if 16 teams each would make sense. The league would likely be small enough for the EPL offer to top up the other two divisions and also enable TV revenue to be generated for the non EPL teams..less teams equal each team getting more TV time..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was scrapped in England after a trial because it rewarded a shit team near the bottom of the table with a smashing day out at Wembley, and money.

It wasn't played at Wembley, it was a straightforward 2-legged Playoff. The reason they junked it was because when Boro relegated Chelsea to the Second Division at Stamford Bridge in the 2nd leg to claim their place in the top flight, the Chelsea fans didn't take too kindly to the celebrations of the Boro team and fans. A 45-minute riot ensued, over a hundred arrests, and 50-odd hospitalised. The FA took the view that the stakes were just too high to have a club not just relegated, but having its place in the (old) First Division claimed by the opposition, so they binned the format.

Personally though, this is the only aspect of this whole grubby proposal that I'm actually in favour of. Pure box office (riot or no riot).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It wasn't played at Wembley, it was a straightforward 2-legged Playoff. The reason they junked it was because when Boro relegated Chelsea to the Second Division at Stamford Bridge in the 2nd leg to claim their place in the top flight, the Chelsea fans didn't take too kindly to the celebrations of the Boro team and fans. A 45-minute riot ensued, over a hundred arrests, and 50-odd hospitalised. The FA took the view that the stakes were just too high to have a club not just relegated, but having its place in the (old) First Division claimed by the opposition, so they binned the format.

Personally though, this is the only aspect of this whole grubby proposal that I'm actually in favour of. Pure box office (riot or no riot).

I stand corrected.

Perhaps the time for a slice of rollerball mixed with Dr Who style 'weakest link' is now :thumbsup:

annedroida.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
100% this.

I still have my £1200 Spurs ST but i doubt i will have it for much longer. If this new plan goes through i am definitely out.

So far this season i jave watched Buxted, AFC Uckfield & Lewes. I can watch Uckfield, have two pints and a bite to eat for about £15 all in (free parking). Plus it is directly behind the best Indian in East Sussex. Win win.

Buxted’s a great little club :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The problem is the power grab is the whole reason for doing this. The other changes are just sweetners to get the power grab through the door and as you say, once it's done, the big 6 can do what they like, even stop any payments to the other leagues.

Indeed.

And they are doing it at PRECISELY the moment the EFL are right now absolutely desperate for a cash injection under the current crisis. Their naked opportunism couldn't be more obvious. In the current climate, they know full well that most of those club owners outside of the EPL would sell their grannies to get this "rescue package" approved. Fortunately it looks like this scheme has rightly gone down like a piss sandwich with the rest of the EPL clubs, so even with their bribes of power towards the "snapshot" clubs of Southampton, West Ham and Everton, they're never going to get the 14 votes. Turkeys and Christmas and all that.

This (predictably) has sticky american fingers all over it. Relegation just isn't in their culture, their business models have no concept of factoring it in. Obviously its all but impossible for the likes of Man U and Liverpool to be relegated now, but the protectionist culture beats strong and hard within them.

And doesn't this nicely draw attention away from the new PPV scheme they're currently trying to pump us with. Football right now....ugh.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And so it begins. Already desperate owners of EFL clubs are grasping at the carrot being offered out. Nigel Travis, chairman of LOFC

"If clubs don't get something soon you will see clubs disappear, I would predict, within 5-6 weeks," Travis told BBC Radio 5 Live.

But he added: "One thing I need to quash is, this isn't about the pandemic, this is about a crisis in football that goes back many years.

"Before the pandemic, 75% of clubs were losing money - that can't continue. The pandemic has, if you like, exacerbated the problem and we need to get it fixed.

"I know you are talking about 'Project Big Picture' - this is a great proposal as far as we are concerned. It is certainly very promising and clubs need it."

I get why lower league clubs are grasping at this, why wouldn't they. But this is a short-term payoff that would ruin the top flight in England, and damage the pyramid forever. Handing ALL power over to 6 clubs, who can then do what the frig they like. Forever more. The Liverpool and Man U owners are utter FILTH for dangling this, under the guise of it being a rescue package for our game. Its utterly transparent, and beneath contempt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The only thing I like about this horrific plan is relegation playoffs.

Seriously, those matches could be epic.

Oh no.! .... That may be ok if we felt confident of a high league position. Albion finished 17th, then 15th last year. Imagine the bed wetting if we had to face that.

I don’t see the cancelling of the community shield. Clubs would only play a pre season friendly instead and the losers would be the community charities that get the proceeds ( eg AITC? ) ...........Oh wait, I see it now . The big clubs don’t like the idea of playing for nothing .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The one thing that would put an end to this is if one of big 6 had balls to came out against. Credit to West Ham who have

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
This will do nothing other than bring football to its knees. It actually brings home to us what has happened to what was once a beautiful game. Corruption power and greed is all that is left.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Any concerns that people have about Project Big Picture should be laid to rest as the Preston Owner representative Peter Ridsdale "broadly welcomes" the proposal. Peter and his wife have been disqualified from acting as a director of a company till 2020, due to cooking the books.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Inevitable, personally would like the 'Big Clubs' to **** off to play each other forever and ever in some meaningless Eurowank which Sky can play on an endless loop while we get on with watching our sides in a meaningful competition that we have some chance of winning (and being relegated).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Inevitable, personally would like the 'Big Clubs' to **** off to play each other forever and ever in some meaningless Eurowank which Sky can play on an endless loop while we get on with watching our sides in a meaningful competition that we have some chance of winning (and being relegated).

does increasingly seem like a better idea doesnt it? funny thing is, im not sure the big clubs, aside from the hard money men, really want that either. i recall many chief executives have been against it in the past, otherwise it would probably have happened by now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here