Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Project Big Picture

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be fair a footballer who lives in Alderley Edge is involved in the takeover of Macclesfield which has just gone through. In which division they will play is yet to be seen though.

Indeed. And now the club is available and cheap he arrives like a knight in shining armour. Here he is, talking about his cars (and this was 10 years ago): Over the years, people have worked themselves into a frenzy over my cars. I’ve lost an absolute fortune on them – in the region of £500,000.

The day I became a Premier League player I bought a pink Porsche.

I’ve had Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, Porsches, Mercs.

I’ve had gold cars, yellow cars, purple cars and now a white Merc which no-one wants to buy because it looks like a wedding car!

At Leicester, I had three Porsches, a red, a blue and a yellow Ferrari, three Mercs and a BMW.

A yellow Lamborghini, two Bentleys, four Range Rovers and an Aston Martin followed at Birmingham and a Hummer, Range Rover, Lambo, white Ferrari and a Merc 320 at Blackburn.

There were three more Mercs, and white Lambo soft top and hard tops at Derby. I suppose cars are my addiction.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Indeed. And now the club is available and cheap he arrives like a knight in shining armour. Here he is, talking about his cars (and this was 10 years ago): Over the years, people have worked themselves into a frenzy over my cars. I’ve lost an absolute fortune on them – in the region of £500,000.

The day I became a Premier League player I bought a pink Porsche.

I’ve had Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, Porsches, Mercs.

I’ve had gold cars, yellow cars, purple cars and now a white Merc which no-one wants to buy because it looks like a wedding car!

At Leicester, I had three Porsches, a red, a blue and a yellow Ferrari, three Mercs and a BMW.

A yellow Lamborghini, two Bentleys, four Range Rovers and an Aston Martin followed at Birmingham and a Hummer, Range Rover, Lambo, white Ferrari and a Merc 320 at Blackburn.

There were three more Mercs, and white Lambo soft top and hard tops at Derby. I suppose cars are my addiction.

He can be a bit of a plum but genuinely feel his heart is in the right place and he's a fan at heart. Had a long chat with him about why he joined the Albion at Withdean when he could have sat at home picking up £30k a week in Derby and he said he loves playing football and that was the driver.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
give it 5 years, and they will be in European Super League, can't bloody wait to be honest. At least they will know what it is like to be the underdog in a game every time the ref and VAR rule in favour of Barcelona or PSG for an innocuous challenge or add johnny foreigner time, I long for that day.

Then and only then when the top 6 feck off, will the Premier League become a fair playing ground.

People keep talking about the Big Six (and other European teams) wanting a European super league but I'm not wholly convinced about this. These clubs have a lot of clout and could easily set one up - and I'm sure would get TV money to back it.

The fact they haven't done so suggests that a) there's not much enthusiasm for it; b) the TV money is not as high as they're expecting or c) the consequences of making such a move would be disastrous for the clubs.

Let's put it this way: the fact they haven't set a European super league up is clearly not for altruistic reasons

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
People keep talking about the Big Six (and other European teams) wanting a European super league but I'm not wholly convinced about this. These clubs have a lot of clout and could easily set one up - and I'm sure would get TV money to back it.

The fact they haven't done so suggests that a) there's not much enthusiasm for it; b) the TV money is not as high as they're expecting or c) the consequences of making such a move would be disastrous for the clubs.

Let's put it this way: the fact they haven't set a European super league up is clearly not for altruistic reasons

What they want is to have their cake and eat it.

A slimmed down Premier League and 34 games there, so that matches against domestic rivals (Liverpool v Manchester United is box office in terms of ratings) can be played AND an increased Champions League with no/little relegation that will involve a guaranteed 12 group games followed by up to 7 knock out matches. That is why the Carabou Cup and 2 clubs in the Premier League are being sacrificed, to free up additional CL slots.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What they want is to have their cake and eat it.

A slimmed down Premier League and 34 games there, so that matches against domestic rivals (Liverpool v Manchester United is box office in terms of ratings) can be played AND an increased Champions League with no/little relegation that will involve a guaranteed 12 group games followed by up to 7 knock out matches. That is why the Carabou Cup and 2 clubs in the Premier League are being sacrificed, to free up additional CL slots.

I thought there were already plans for an increased number of CL games, regardless of any other changes.

And I really, really can't see 14 EPL clubs voting for a reduction in the number of teams - I'm not even sure they'd get a majority for it

EDIT: This is only considering English clubs. Other European leagues already have slimmed down leagues - what's stopping Barca/RM/BM doing this - they'd have much bigger games in a Super League?

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Surely Manchester United should be concentrating on avoiding relegation and not setting up a new look Prem that they might not be in. :whistle:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
EDIT: This is only considering English clubs. Other European leagues already have slimmed down leagues - what's stopping Barca/RM/BM doing this - they'd have much bigger games in a Super League?

A European Super League NEEDS the top English clubs. It would be severely lacking in commercial and meritous clout if it left out Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This may be controversial but I don't think this project big picture is far from being a good solution. If they keep the cup and charity shield, keep 20 in the Premier league and keep the voting the same as it is now it looks a pretty good solution.
Code:

You won’t find many in disagreement. Keep the status quo. If that was what they were proposing there wouldn’t be any controversy. This project is designed to re-enforce the power of the big 6. That said, I am not sure how it could ever pass a PL vote. West Ham have already made their opposition clear and I would be astounded if PB didn’t do the same tonight.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Surely Manchester United should be concentrating on avoiding relegation and not setting up a new look Prem that they might not be in. :whistle:

I find it a bit confusing nowadays this other rule of six - somebody needs to come up with an acronym of those 6 so its clear which teams they are as its not looking like the top six anymore.

TALC MM or MC MALT - are those the right 6 ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A European Super League NEEDS the top English clubs. It would be severely lacking in commercial and meritous clout if it left out Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

Oh I know. I was wondering what would happen if all the other big clubs set a Super League up anyway, would the English clubs not participate? Barca, RM, Bayern, Paris, Juve, Milan etc would have plenty of clout

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
[tweet]1316054122118946816[/tweet]
[tweet]1316055165842096133[/tweet]

These statements from the supporters associations are spot on.

Obviously placing disproportionate power within the hands of the top 6 or 9 (voting) would be disastrous.
It's a disgusting power grab during a time of crisis.

They also raise the concern/question of where this is all leading?
There appear to be a bunch of short term financial sweeteners, but no guarantees for the long term.
As stated, it's entirely conceivable this is all leading to a US style franchise system without promotions and relegations, securing the futures of a handful of super-clubs forever.

A closed shop.

How boring. How disheartening. How vile.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What else did Paul say about it? Any quotes?

Described it as a "blatant Power Grab". Totally against it. Agreed with a fan who said that the big clubs are using Covid to try and get this done.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sadly - strong backing from EFL clubs. But then again they are desperate for cash

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here