Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre-match music and tannoy announcer (Annoying)

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For my money, if the purpose of the pre-match buildup is to create a pumped up atmosphere, then Richard Reynolds does an excellent job, and it almost doesn't matter too much how he gets there. As others have said, the choice of tunes in the mix does need to be changed around regularly though. Personally, I'd love to hear Praise You or Right Here Right Now in there somewhere.

But if the whole thing ends with a 20,000 Amex crowd singing a lung-bursting version of Sussex by the Sea as the players run out, then that'll do just fine for me.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Agree with some of the comments on this thread I set up.

RR is doing his best, of that I dont disagree with, He just needs to stop screaming at the stands to make some noise!

Also if we insist on on playing Gee-up music, which I dont we need then we need something thats more recent than playing a 2001 greatest soccer hits CD.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For my money, if the purpose of the pre-match buildup is to create a pumped up atmosphere, then Richard Reynolds does an excellent job, and it almost doesn't matter too much how he gets there. As others have said, the choice of tunes in the mix does need to be changed around regularly though. Personally, I'd love to hear Praise You or Right Here Right Now in there somewhere.

But if the whole thing ends with a 20,000 Amex crowd singing a lung-bursting version of Sussex by the Sea as the players run out, then that'll do just fine for me.

My Generation sticks out like a sore thumb to me. A far better song than the others but what's it's relevance to football? Can't think of any chant that's ever used that. So people sing along with bits of the others and are then just bemused when that kicks in. 'Right Here Right Now' is used pretty much everywhere but as it's Fatboy would still be great for us. The same for Tom Hark which would be better in that medley than some of the others - Brighton band and all that.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think "Hey Jude" is good as its a simple song for the fans to really sing loud - just PLEASE don't keep doing that Paul MacCartney/John Lennon bit each time
Vindaloo is a bit dated and is an England song - footballs coming home would be be better - as possibly more relevant as we now have a home
Sussex by the Sea started a minute or so beofore the players came out with the words on the screen would be excellent, and all three sides could be in full voice as the players walk out, bit like You'll never walk alone at Liverpool
Praise you, as suggested, would be good as the first bit really sums up our fight.
I do quite like FBS's (I guess its him) put you hands up for Brighton

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As a point of interest how does the new announcer get away with dressing like a bum? I believe he even gets allowed into the 1901 looking like that too.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Just think the annoncer should be more proffestional and get guest and players names right, especially names like Vincelot, it cannot take much to check or ask the player person directly.

blimey, I know brighton is a bit "adventurous" but .................................

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
would be fine if they cut out that musical medley and the 'make some noise' plea. actually like the players being introduced by RR one by one on the screen, plus the other bits and bobs he mentions when out on the pitch. so all in all, it's almost there, just a little bit of tweaking required.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
As much as I agree the build up is slightly cheesey, Id rather have that than goal music.

Were now catering for a whole new bunch of new fans so this sort of hyberbowl has got to be expected and it can easily be avoided by having a beer on the concorse and getting to your seat when the goal montage is about to start if its really not to your liking.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
As much as I agree the build up is slightly cheesey, Id rather have that than goal music.

Were now catering for a whole new bunch of new fans so this sort of hyberbowl has got to be expected and it can easily be avoided by having a beer on the concorse and getting to your seat when the goal montage is about to start if its really not to your liking.

Absolutely. And I think it is the right thing for the majority - there's plenty of lovely ale available on the concourses as an option. We're a big club, we've moved on, don't ned any more of that amateur village fete stuff :) (Though I must say I've never heard the Clash or the Vaccines on Southwick Green.....)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Of all the things for people to bitch and moan about the build up is not one of them - IMHO.

I think the build up has been brilliant - I can understand why a few Luddites would rather we still had 6000 hairshirt wearers at Withdean, but the general consensus from home and away fans is that the noise levels from us have been off the scale, and I'm certain that the build up has played a major part in that.

Agreed. :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd like to request that Richard Reynolds be restricted to entertaining the pre-match crowd through the medium of interpretive dance.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Put your hands up for Brighton is class, but is not really used enough on the pre match build up video. Praise you would sound great over the speaker system we have got in the stadium. Maybe FatBoy could put together a 5 min mix of his best / brighton related tracks to get the crowd into a frenzy before the video starts.

If the club hire this new audio visual engineer then work should include doing some new videos for the pre match build up. I'm sure FatBoy would let us use some of the visuals he used on his beach party gigs a few years back.

We need to start changing the pre match music a bit as it is getting a bit 'heard it all before' after a few games of using it, but ity is still 1000 times better than what we had at Withdean.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I don't get why everyone assumes that new fans like all this cheesy stuff though, if we did a survey I bet most would find it as embarrasing at the Withdean/Gillingham/Goldstone veterans

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I don't get why everyone assumes that new fans like all this cheesy stuff though, if we did a survey I bet most would find it as embarrasing at the Withdean/Gillingham/Goldstone veterans

I'm mainly thinking of the family section as isn't that most of the east stand. As the worry was that we would lose a generation (or two) but obviously this isn't the case and its great too see loads of youngester wearing Albion shirts and not just on match days.

The pre-match build up isn't amongst my favourite things about the Amex, and I would have been very naive in thinking that their wouldn't be that sort of cheesyness at some part of the day. But my main point is that the pre-match stuff is avoidable if you don't want to listen to it where as Goal music isn't. So out of the choice of the two id rather have it as it is.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm mainly thinking of the family section as isn't that most of the east stand. As the worry was that we would lose a generation (or two) but obviously this isn't the case and its great too see loads of youngester wearing Albion shirts and not just on match days.

The family stand takes up around a third of the East stand.

arich264

A rich *******
Can anyone tell me the name of the trance tracks played before the Peterborough game thought they were great and even some of the other old gits around me were moving to the music. Really gets the atmosphere pumped up.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Cant we have Reynolds...... followed by the video montage(make it longer)...... and then GOSBTS with the words on the screen and then when it stops Reynolds just says the word "GOOD" and the crowd go mad singing GOSBTS!!!!!

Brilliant!

I Think Reynolds does a good job and imo the volume is the same as at all arenas now, its more of an event, it makes some folk realise that they can sing an shout. We all Moan about the East stand (having a laugh) but seriously in the old days if someone had stood up in the South Stand at the Goldstone, and sung GOSBTS at full volume we'd have all thought he was mad! People would have moved away.
Lets not go back to when only one area made noise and the rest of the crowd only shouted at a bad tackle or for a penalty. Its much better now and the Amex generates a superb atmosphere. The Noise off the North, West and sometimes East will be the envy of other clubs. The pre match build up helps towards that most poeple I have spoken to like that approach. It makes you unafraid to join in and start singing. Especially when its all so Pro Albion.

Its Ours, Its about our Club, and we should embrace it!
BTW the Sussex by the Sea sing along is something we must convince the club to do. Its our theme. SOmething other clubs dont have (ahem palace).

Carry on Reynolds, The Montage (make it longer!!!!) and Make it a rip roaring GOSBTS and we're there!! punk:

Last edited:

absolutely. And i think it is the right thing for the majority - there's plenty of lovely ale available on the concourses as an option. We're a big club, we've moved on, don't ned any more of that amateur village fete stuff :) (though i must say i've never heard the clash or the vaccines on southwick green.....)

dont want to drink bloody real ale! I want to sit in my seat with the kids and have a proper football build up!:facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here