Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre-match music and tannoy announcer (Annoying)

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
14:20 Music of the clubs choice
14:40 Teams announced
14:45 Gullys Girls
14:52 Fatboy Slim Praise You
14.56 Video Montage of our goals and successes!
14:57 Huge welcome to our 2 teams ********* and Brighton and Hove Albion!
14:57.15s GOSBTS and teams walk out shake hands, take photos with ref etc.
15:00 Kick Off

SORTED!! ;)!
This.

getpurple

Aug 10, 2011
Worthing
I can't stand RR due to his connections with commercial radio stations. You know the ones that play the same song every five minutes, etc.

But, he has done very well in getting people in the swing of things at all the home games so far, and for that I praise him. Yes, there will be issues with the sound system, and they can test it when the stadium is empty, but it sounds totally different with near on 20,000 odd people in the ground, so bare with the club whilst they sort out the technical issues.

He isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is good to have someone who is enthusiastic, albeit cheesey sometimes, but nonetheless he is doing a grand job.

I just wish RR got rid of his Robbie Savage-esque hair. It doesn't suit him..!

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Too loud! At this level Brighton will have a totally deaf bunch of supporters. As a father of a profoundly deaf lad I understand these issues. On second thoughts that's great he will have 20,000 mates!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
No, you're quite right. I'm pretty sure the playout used now is this:-.............

...............And it just stops, right there - instead of going on to the refrain - the real heart of the song for Albion fans:-
Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
Oh we're going up and we'll win the Cup
For Sussex by the sea

we're now getting the verison by the band of the Coldstream Guards rather than the Horsham Borough Band version used at Withdean. The previous version from the Goldstone was lost along with other albion stuff (such as the 1983 squad tax details!!!) when the ground was cleared out before demolition.

I suspect the Coldstream version plays better on the new PA than the Horsham version (I have both on my iPod and the Horsham one distorts)

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
What a bunch of moany old gits you lot are. Why can't you just enjoy it? If you don't like RR, go and have a piss or a pint! I can't see any problem with him getting the crowd pumped up. I like the choice of music before the game, the Albion montage is quality.....whats not to like?

There's nothing wrong with him trying to pump the crowd up but it blatantly doesn't work. As for that tin pot Fanzone shite, don't get me started.

We're a good crowd, with great songs, and more than enough gumption to get ourselves up for the game. Leave the 90's frost tipped mulleted one for the likes of Palace please.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
we're now getting the verison by the band of the Coldstream Guards rather than the Horsham Borough Band version used at Withdean. The previous version from the Goldstone was lost along with other albion stuff (such as the 1983 squad tax details!!!) when the ground was cleared out before demolition.

I suspect the Coldstream version plays better on the new PA than the Horsham version (I have both on my iPod and the Horsham one distorts)
Yes, the new SBTS playout is of far better quality, but the Withdean version - horribly tinny and scratchy - was actually from a 1991 CD by the Royal Marines School of Music.

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
If you want to have a chat with the people around you go into the concourse. Stop moaning all the time. Unbelievable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's nothing wrong with him trying to pump the crowd up but it blatantly doesn't work. As for that tin pot Fanzone shite, don't get me started.

We're a good crowd, with great songs, and more than enough gumption to get ourselves up for the game. Leave the 90's frost tipped mulleted one for the likes of Palace please.

'Blatantly doesn't work'! Either you're being sarcastic or you weren't at the game. The crescendo of noise leading up to when the players emerge to GOSBTS is far better than it ever was at Withdean and dare I say it the Goldstone too. You might not like the way it is done but you cannot deny that for the first two home league games the atmosphere at the start of each has been fantastic. Can you not remember the dull way we used to start games at Withdean, particularly under Wilkins when the team seem to start each match at half speed.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
The moaners on here are getting worse. Cannot actually believe given our new stadium and what we have had to put up with, anyone would actually start a thread like this.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Other than gullys girls, the pre match experience is now not too different to the glory years at the Goldstone than it is now - but hey, some of u are too young to remember that. As for preferring the pre match at Withdean with Atillas choice of music, well u must have spent too much time getting bladdered in the Sportsman beforehand as it hardly got the crowd going!!

Richard Reynolds is only doing what he is employed to do and to have such vitriol against a guy most of you won't ever meet is a bit sad as is the moaning about choices of music, pre-match crowd warm ups and videos.

I'd suggest that if the noise at the amex is a bit too much for you then you should go to watch a game at Grimsby where I'm sure the atmosphere with crowds of 2,500 would be perfect for you to have a chat about what went on last week in Emmerdale and Doctors.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The only thing I would say is that having basically been 'told' what songs to sing by the pre-match music, you need a bit of a gap to sing a song of your own before the players come out and you're 'told again' to sing GOSBTS. On Saturday, we were singing "Albion, Albion" all over the start of GOSBTS.

After a while, it starts to feel like crowd manipulation rather than crowd encouragement.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I like it when they play the medley of songs for a bout 5 minutes, ending with Hey Jude, then just let the crowd sing it.

Maybe they could change the songs the do play to build up the crowd as it could get annoying hearing Carnival de Paris/Vindaloo/Banarama every game

I think it works and gets the crowd in good voice, so long may it continue!

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
who is the chap who comes on and says welcome the teams Brighton and Hove Albion verses Hull!

So i wasnt imagining it when he announced the teams!

If your gonna prance around pitchside before the match, at least get the opposition's name right ffs :facepalm:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Like the pre-match music for building up atmosphere but that medley will soon get too repetitive.

Have never been keen on DJs that shout over music. Stop it.

I'm hugely in favour of a singing gap as said many times before and hopefully that's still happening before SBTS. Don't agree with people who say it should just be silent for 15' prematch. Cast iron guaranteed, you would end up with a very quiet stadium unless it's a play off semi or huge league game.

I think RR has done a decent job in all the games I've seen (had to miss Saturday). Sounds like he just needs to tone it down a little.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Personally find the carnival de paris medley very tacky and cringeworthy. No problem with pre-match music or the volume of the PA but how about a bit of variety and individuality. And I'd prefer for the atmosphere to build naturally, which I'm sure it would, without some faceless DJ telling us what to do.

Have to say though, the Albion montage is fantastic. Goosebumps every time!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
agree - it is absolutely unbelievable

I disagree with this. Of course everyone is delighted with the new Stadium but this does not mean we should become Martyrs or BHAC Zombies unable to make any comment or suggestion for the decades/centuries we may be at the Amex because we have had it so bad in the past. Also there is the point that people pay good money in difficult times for the experience and customers who pay for a service or entertainment are entitled to make a comment on it. Its early days and people are making suggestions to tweak the experience to incorporate everyone and make it an enjoyable visit for all and sundry.

Last edited:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I disagree with this. Of course everyone is delighted with the new Stadium but this does mean we should become Martyrs or BHAC Zombies unable to make any comment or suggestion for the decades/centuries we may be at the Amex because we have had it so bad in the past. Also there is the point that people pay good money in difficult times for the experience and customers who pay for a service or entertainment are entitled to make a comment on it. Its early days and people are making suggestions to tweak the experience to incorporate everyone and make it an enjoyable visit for all and sundry.

Of all the things for people to bitch and moan about the build up is not one of them - IMHO.

I think the build up has been brilliant - I can understand why a few Luddites would rather we still had 6000 hairshirt wearers at Withdean, but the general consensus from home and away fans is that the noise levels from us have been off the scale, and I'm certain that the build up has played a major part in that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here