Pre-match music and tannoy announcer (Annoying)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I much preferred the pre-match entertainment at Withdean.

Agree totally.
Music often chosen as it had hidden connections that only the musically educated would get.
For example I remember we played Tranmere and a half man half biscuit track was played prior to the game. The reason- the band members are passionate Tranmere fans.
Wont get that attention to detail now sadly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree totally.
Music often chosen as it had hidden connections that only the musically educated would get.
For example I remember we played Tranmere and a half man half biscuit track was played prior to the game. The reason- the band members are passionate Tranmere fans.

Now we have musical snobs on this board, whatever next!! The point of pumping up the atmosphere is the effect it has on the players. I've been going 35 years and don't have a problem with it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree totally.

Now we have musical snobs on this board, whatever next!! The point of pumping up the atmosphere is the effect it has on the players. I've been going 35 years and don't have a problem with it.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
What a bunch of moany old gits you lot are. Why can't you just enjoy it? If you don't like RR, go and have a piss or a pint! I can't see any problem with him getting the crowd pumped up. I like the choice of music before the game, the Albion montage is quality.....whats not to like?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Better than the nob at Withdean

We never heard the tannoy in the south stand at Withhdean, gone from silence to full on sound system.

Sat at the back of the new APEX stand at the county ground for the 20/20 quarter final and that was a similar experience, could not have a conversation. Would want to be sitting next to or under a speaker.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I have to say I am not a massive fan of all these initiatives to pump the fans up as it is all rather American and for my money not actually needed. Unfortunately, this is the way football seems to want to go.

One of my best mates is a Watford and on occasion I have found myself up at Vicarage Road where they have a guy on the pitch during the build-up to the game itself. He asks each stand to "make some noise" and barks out such nonsense as "let's hear it for the Golden Boys". I quite rightly take the piss out of my mate for this commenting that whilst most clubs employ a Director Of Football, Watford have a Director Of Entertainment!

Now sadly we have gone the same way. I have no opinion on Richie Reynolds personally, I just feel we do not need someone on the pitch to gee the crowd up, we can do it on our own.

However much I dislike it I appreciate that this is the way football going but for atmosphere there should be a compromise and this would work; From stadium opening they can play their "gee-up" music with breaks for reading of the teams. This can last until just before 2:40pm whereby they can use that small medley but without someone on the pitch. Ending it with "Hey Jude" the crowd can then carry on singing and making our own atmosphere then about 2:55pm just the teams are about to emerge show that little video on the screens and play Sussex-By-The-Sea as the teams arrives. Also, putting the words to Sussex-By-The-Sea on the screen would be a cracking idea.

It is all rather simple really and the way forward...I cannot believe this has not been thought through properly, If they just consult the right people it can be sorted.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think the type of muisc they're playing should stay, because like it or not, its songs everyones knows and can join in with and gets those who might night normally sing, in the singing mood. We've had decent atmosphere's so far and I think the pre-match stuff has helped. That said, the RR stuff could be toned down a little bit.

Also Susses by the Sea lyrics would be decent. Got a free ticket to the Emirates the other week and they had some song up on the screens with the lyrics. Will help those who don't really know the words get to know them better and may even help us to getting singing it with the proper words during a match.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was disappointed with the lack of noise before the game yesterday plus the pa system was not loud enough

I assume you are taking the piss!

My hearing aids automatically turned themselves to a lower level due to the noise. The only time that has happened before was due to a very low flying passenger plane. It does seem to be ridiculously loud (even to my defective ears).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I agree with most of the above, I much preferred the pre match build up at the withdean, and that's no joke.

At the Amex, it is far, far too loud, I do not see the justification for it, the selection of songs is alright, probably better than at the withdean, but it isn't just songs sadly, you have this pompous Tottenham fan yelling at you from the tunnel, trying to get the entire satdium singing at 2.30, it is incredibly plastic and exactly what I would expect, as someone said if I were going to watch the MK Dons.

He needs only say hello before the music starts, introduce gullys girls, read the teams out and annouce their arival onto the pitch, thois whole saying hello to each stand in turn then demanding they make some noise is really f***ing me off, it is so plastic.

Oh, and stick a sing-a-long version of the GOSBTS lyrics up on the big screens, I've heard a few around me trying to sing them, but struggling.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This board is becoming like points of view, endless moaning and whinging about everything. In the last 24 hours I've seen whinging about...

- Getting to the ground
- Beers in the ground
- Pre match build up
- People who have paid their money but are not there
- Craig Noone, Casper Ankergren, Gary Dicker...
- Getting away from the ground

I'm amazed anyone bothers to be honest.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
14:20 Music of the clubs choice
14:40 Teams announced
14:45 Gullys Girls
14:52 Fatboy Slim Praise You
14.56 Video Montage of our goals and successes!
14:57 Huge welcome to our 2 teams ********* and Brighton and Hove Albion!
14:57.15s GOSBTS and teams walk out shake hands, take photos with ref etc.
15:00 Kick Off

SORTED!! ;)!

perfect but instead of praise you, right here right now

that was awesome in cardiff 2004

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
Way too loud!

Whoever controls the sound needs to sit amongst the crowd to hear for themselves - it's SO loud it's distorted, can't understand half of what's said (maybe not a bad thing when RR gets going). Actually quite enjoy the build up to the match, but....it's called a volume switch, just try turning it anti-clockwise a notch?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I can see what the OP is getting at though; no one's asking for silence, just nothing contrived. As long as we don't get pre-recorded crowd-roaring (a la Middlesborough? a few seasons ago) through the tannoy, I reckon what we've got will find its level soon enough.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Love the pre-match music, gets everyone in the mood for the game.
I like it as well....

If you grumpy old farts dont like it I have a few suggestions....

1, stay on the concourse until 1 min to three, then you can talk to your mates/neighbours.
2, wear earplugs
3, STAY AT HOME !!!!!!

We now have a real stadium and all half you lot can do is moan moan moan..

No wonder fans of other clubs look on here and laugh at us...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports