Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prague Advice *** I WILL TRY AGAIN****

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Always agree a cab fare before you get in, we got totally ripped off one afternoon going back to the hotel from the city centre, and beware gypsy hookers, Cher they are certainly not, just tramps and thieves.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Most of the warnings you have..

Dont get into cab without checking price first....only use yellow AAA cabs if poss...they are the most honest and speak English...theres a dodgy AAA that tries to pinch their custom, but dont have yellow cabs....definitely dont argue with any taxi drivers as they all carry guns.

If a dark haired, complexioned girl is asking if you want sex and rubbing you...she is checking your pockets..

Check your bill in restaurants, they will over charge..not by much, but they will.

You can smoke almost anywhere in bars, clubs, restaurants unless otherwise stated.

Do your eating away from the center. Its much cheaper.

Let me know what sort of music you like... surely Bruce Springsteen is some sort of weird nostalgia thing :)

If you smoke grass...Zizkov...many bars sell...

My girl and I have bar in Smichov area, but its a Ukrainian music club... its up to you haha...bit of a way to get to it if
you dont like it when you get there.

Other than that, its a small city, and easy to get around...just wander about....

Last edited:

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
Most of the warnings you have..

Dont get into cab without checking price first....only use yellow AAA cabs if poss...they are the most honest and speak English...theres a dodgy AAA that tries to pinch their custom, but dont have yellow cabs....definitely dont argue with any taxi drivers as they all carry guns.

If a dark haired, complexioned girl is asking if you want sex and rubbing you...she is checking your pockets..

Check your bill in restaurants, they will over charge..not by much, but they will.

You can smoke almost anywhere in bars, clubs, restaurants unless otherwise stated.

Do your eating away from the center. Its much cheaper.

Let me know what sort of music you like... surely Bruce Springsteen is some sort of weird nostalgia thing :)

If you smoke grass...Zizkov...many bars sell...

My girl and I have bar in Smichov area, but its a Ukrainian music club... its up to you haha...bit of a way to get to it if
you dont like it when you get there.

Other than that, its a small city, and easy to get around...just wander about....

Cheers Dave

Springsteen is just a blast from the past, for old times sake for us. whilst at secondary school my mates dad would always work nights so we would often polish off his bottle of JD and listen to springsteen records. My mate is a bigger fan than I am but I know the songs. We are only 23 so anything current really music wise..... into clubbing and lively bars etc.

Will def check the FB page when not at work and stop by. We will have a lot of time on our hands !

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
ok, let me know if youre going to our place, and ill make sure youre not charged on the door...expect to be searched by security though...

In the center of the city, just off Wenceslas, there is a place called Lucerna...fri, and sat they have 80s,90s crap but full of young Czech girls, its a bit top rankish...but in nicer setting.

Radost Fx which is near IP Pavlova metro(red line)...one stop from Museum station (top of wenceslas) for R&B/HipHop etc.
Cross Club which is near Holosovice (red line)... big place for dnb, some reggae...
Techle Mechele - Behind museum at top of wenceslas square...walk up the road on the left hand side and you will see it.
Chapeau Rouge - Behind Tyn Church in old town square...just walk down the side of church on the left hand side and walk for 5 mins.3 floors...usually different music..
Celnice - Namesti Republiky - Fairly nice place, but very Russian...beautiful women..
Duplex - Wenceslas...never been in the place, but beautiful women, im told.

Best place I think is Le Clan, and that is behind museum again.. over railway bridge, and first turning on the left...you would hardly notice the place as
its in residential street.....I smoke grass, but have to say, its the only place ive seen in the world that people are doing coke openly...doesnt get going till after 3-4am... open till midday...most soulful house, but a lot of dancers from the cabertets go
there after work..

Most of the tourist places, ive not stepped foot in, so I cant tell you..
Bars, well...theres just fecking hundreds...im surprised still finding places that are cool and packed with people...

list of clubs and bars..
Clubs in Prague - Nightlife

Last edited:

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
ok, let me know if youre going to our place, and ill make sure youre not charged on the door...expect to be searched by security though...

In the center of the city, just off Wenceslas, there is a place called Lucerna...fri, and sat they have 80s,90s crap but full of young Czech girls, its a bit top rankish...but in nicer setting.

Radost Fx which is near IP Pavlova metro(red line)...one stop from Museum station (top of wenceslas) for R&B/HipHop etc.
Cross Club which is near Holosovice (red line)... big place for dnb, some reggae...
Techle Mechele - Behind museum at top of wenceslas square...walk up the road on the left hand side and you will see it.
Chapeau Rouge - Behind Tyn Church in old town square...just walk down the side of church on the left hand side and walk for 5 mins.3 floors...usually different music..
Celnice - Namesti Republiky - Fairly nice place, but very Russian...beautiful women..
Duplex - Wenceslas...never been in the place, but beautiful women, im told.

Best place I think is Le Clan, and that is behind museum again.. over railway bridge, and on the left...you would hardly notice the place as
its in residential street....doesnt get going till after 3-4am... open till midday...most soulful house, but a lot of dancers from the cabertets go
there after work..

Most of the tourist places, ive not stepped foot in, so I cant tell you..
Bars, well...theres just fecking hundreds...im surprised still finding places that are cool and packed with people...

great info Dave cheers printed it all off to take with us !! Just what I was looking for. Whats the name of your place? Just so that I can FB it on my phone and let you know. Just one last thing..... any idea what we can expect to pay for cheap accom in the city ? not at all fussy but i think we would prefer a private room rather than sharing with the masses. we could deal with sharing bathroom etc but want a lockable safe room to stay ?

Thanks again !!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Our place is Club Midnight
Its in street called Zubateho.....to reach it..
Take tram 9 from center in direction of Andel... think its 5 or 6 stops so about 10 mins...
Get off at Svandovo Divadlo, and walk in same direction as tram and its your first right....

Accomodation ive got no clue mate...theres a lot of hostels as well as hotels, but what its like in high season
ive no idea im afraid...

Print prev page again, as ive added a list of clubs/bars from net that looks quite decent..

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
We stayed in Zizkov when we went last september - We visited some good local bars and restuarants in the area and they were all cheap. Main squares all worth seeing but they are alot more expensive than a couple of tram stops out.
Stuff to do wise - We did the usual toursit stuff e.g Petrin Tower and the funicular railway to the top, Zizkov tower with the Miminka babies climbing the tower (tram 9 out of the centre then a walk up a very steep hill). Prague Castle. The metronome at the top of Letna gardens, Strahov Stadium and some monastery with lots of different beers.

Overall it's a nice place

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
Thanks Again Guys !!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
'Zizkov tower with the Miminka babies climbing the tower (tram 9 out of the centre then a walk up a very steep hill)'

I walked up it once, on the basis of ...if that 80 year old woman with rucksack and walking stick can do it, so can I. Dont make the same mistake.
Stay on the tram till next stop (Lipanska), its a lot easier...haha

I moved to where our bar is a couple of years ago from a flat in Zizkov, and I still spend most of my time up there.
Most of the smoking bars are in the area.. particularly around Palac Akropolis..( a decent venue in its own right, with cheap restarurant)
They are a bit iffy about selling to people they dont know, dont buy in the street as an alternative. If you want to smoke, let me know.

and heed advice about not eating and drinking in center...it will still be cheap I guess for you guys, but you wont meet any Czechs other than bar staff...they wouldnt dream of paying the prices you have to pay there...particulary the Irish/English places... like I say, still cheap for you, but ...why pay more if you dont have to...

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
'Zizkov tower with the Miminka babies climbing the tower (tram 9 out of the centre then a walk up a very steep hill)'

I walked up it once, on the basis of ...if that 80 year old woman with rucksack and walking stick can do it, so can I. Dont make the same mistake.
Stay on the tram till next stop (Lipanska), its a lot easier...haha

You tell me now - it nearly killed me and i thought i was reasonably fit,We had had 3 -4 pints each and half way up i thought i was going to see them again........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
O'Che's Cuban Irish Bar down by the bridge is ok.
It's in a nice area for other bars/cafes.

There is also a bar that's down a narrow alleyway off of Wenceslas square.
The alley leads into a small dark court yard.
Tucked into the far left hand corner of the court yard, you'll see a little green sign.
Well that's the bar.
Quaint, friendly, local and about 40p a pint.

If you find it let know, as I've been back 3 times since and still can't.
Not really surprising at 40p a pint, I was smashed when I left.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
stat bro...was it behind a restaurant?... there are no alleys in Wenceslas...but some doorways into courtyards..
Most bars in Zizkov its between 16-19 for small beer, and 25-35 for large beers....

Always amazes me that the beer in the supermarkets can be as low as 6kc....impressive when milk is 13kc..

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
stat bro...was it behind a restaurant?... there are no alleys in Wenceslas...but some doorways into courtyards..
:shrug:
Possibly, that has nudged my memory, but not by much.
It was a lovely little place, great beer.
I do remember it was sunny when we went in, and dark when we came out, does that help?

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
Ive been to prague 3 times. Have always travelled with no where to stay(bit more exciting) tho do your homework,there are many sites that have hostels,b&b(pensions)appartments and hotels.

Ive stayed in pensions, tho appartments around prague are cheap enough(last time i went ) 3 of us £15 each a night.

from the airport(it is some distance to the center.I would suggest ye get the bus and then the metro(its so cheap) tho buy a ticket and make sure you stamp it yourself on the bus.

taxis are a rip off( so a little research) and youll be fine.. Its so easy to jump in a taxi from the airport and say center of prague and then realised your paying £40-£50 instead of 2 pound and i think its quicker to go via public transport too.

english and irish pubs are very similar prices to england..maybe be advisable to visit one if youve left it pretty late to find accomadation.

czech bars are good(very cheap) and if you offer the barman/barlady a drink(a shot) on your first round they will be far nicer to you.

restuarants, some add the tip and some dont,

I personally would not carry a wallet out.

the old town district 1,is very nice less hassle from pickpockets thieves too.

if there is an app for your phone (not sure if google maps)does one ,you can get lost very easily.

If you like go karting(i think they have the biggest go kart track in europe)bit out of town tho.

bring some very comfy shoes. cobbled streets and hills (be sensible about this)

nightclubs (depends on what music you like)

and enjoy the city :)

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
The Beer Factory, that is what it is called. I went there last month and it gave me one hell of a hangover!

Yes! That's the place. Bloody awesome idea but agree on the hangover. Think I collapsed in McDonald's a whole 12 hours later. Happy days!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here