Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Contract - What's the Problem - DISCUSS

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
Gus made an offer some time ago.

Remains unsigned unless I have missed something.

In the interim, Skipper sold - £350k profit

Missed out on Prutton who should have been a Banker due to previous connections. The fact a couple of his mates are at Swindon - Do they pick the team?

Still to sign Experienced Centre back or Striker.

Is Gus holding onto his ACE in the hole, until any playing budget promises, both signings and wages, are made good. In the meanwhile vacancy now at FULHAM, and if Capello were to go, possible vacancy at Tottenham.

I hope neither Brown nor Bloom are gambling with our ability to retain Gus if they do not make good on promises.

Not trying to undermine anyone, just felt worth other peoples thoughts.:ascarf:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I shouldnt think Gus has anything near enough to convince a Premier League team. He said he wants to stay, so im sure he will sign a contract.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
like its been said.. hes under contract for another year, but ive heard the delay in the issue is connected to Luncheon Vouchers.

Why extend Gus contract? Look at Capello! The FA can't afford to get rid of him!!

If the Albion struggle for the third season in a row the majority of fans will want him out anyway by Easter. Until we have a decent squad, get rid of Holroyd & Hart and bring in some decent forwards, I for one would not be looking to press Poyet 'yet'.

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
Extending his contract gets us better Compensation should he leave and in fact I would imagine Bloom would insert a Buyout clause.

Getting rid of Holroyd or Hart should be Gus's decision not ours and also not Bloom or Browns.

I admit his CV is probably not strong enough for Premier League but it remains a concern that there has been a long delay in signing what was originally reported as a formality. I remain unconvinced Gus is not confident he is getting the financial backing he expected.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I have no concerns, but having said it would be signed in the next couple of days a few weeks ago, it does seem a little strange that he hasn't signed it yet. Still I'm sure it will be sorted out before the big kick off. :)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We'll know by the end of this week.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Extending his contract gets us better Compensation should he leave and in fact I would imagine Bloom would insert a Buyout clause.

Getting rid of Holroyd or Hart should be Gus's decision not ours and also not Bloom or Browns.

I admit his CV is probably not strong enough for Premier League but it remains a concern that there has been a long delay in signing what was originally reported as a formality. I remain unconvinced Gus is not confident he is getting the financial backing he expected.

But on the other hand, if we extend his contract and then wish to sack him, the club ends up paying more compensation.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Who said there's a problem?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gus Poyet remains a manager with potential. He won't leave us for better things unless he does well. Equally, if he does badly then we won't have a massive contract to settle. If we have a good first half to the season then the pressure will be on for him to sign but I suspect Bloom is happy for the moment. There have been too many false dawns in recent years.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Gus Poyet remains a manager with potential. He won't leave us for better things unless he does well. Equally, if he does badly then we won't have a massive contract to settle. If we have a good first half to the season then the pressure will be on for him to sign but I suspect Bloom is happy for the moment. There have been too many false dawns in recent years.

Odd then that Bloom should have gone on record as saying how keen he was for Gus to sign, how important for the club and the future and how he expected it to happen within a couple of days (over a month ago). He clearly didn't agree with you.

Swansea

Jan 13, 2010
Swansea fan in peace,

With regard to Poyet there seems to be a feeling with some on the Swansea boards that he could replace Sousa if he leaves. The general feeling is he would not leave Brighton with your new Stadium coming ect but he may be asked. He just missed out on the job the last time which you think may have put him off but he seems to have remained on a good relationship with our Chairman.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Swansea fan in peace,

With regard to Poyet there seems to be a feeling with some on the Swansea boards that he could replace Sousa if he leaves. The general feeling is he would not leave Brighton with your new Stadium coming ect but he may be asked. He just missed out on the job the last time which you think may have put him off but he seems to have remained on a good relationship with our Chairman.

Was actually thinking the same the other day. Would he want to go knowing he was second choice last time though?

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Was actually thinking the same the other day. Would he want to go knowing he was second choice last time though?

I may be mis-remembering but he was not first chioce for Bloom either(?)

What concerns me is the potential affect his lack of signature (after saying himself it was virtually a done deal) may have on our ability to sign decent players going forward.

Hoping this is all a fuss about nothing but years of supporting the stripes makes me expect to get shat on at any moment..........

note to self... must not let Albion rule life and end up as jizz mopper (thanks Notters)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here