Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Contract - What's the Problem - DISCUSS

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Discuss means to describe then highlight positive and negitive points and relate it back to real life.

I fail to see how discussing will do anything here :thumbsup:

IMO there is no problem. Gus is busy sorting out players. He might be trying to sort out backroom staff contracts to be tied to his as well. Thats important and would explain the dely. Nothing more to see here folks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Discuss means to describe then highlight positive and negitive points and relate it back to real life.

Are you referring to some previous conversation or personal joke? Because discuss doesn't mean talk in disconnected hypotheticals then try to connect them. It means to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.; talk over or write about.

GrahamH65

May 19, 2009
I'm sure Sparrow indicated that one of the reasons for signing for us was to work with Poyet. Gus and Tano went scouting in South America and as a result we have now got two young Argentinians as potential flair players. Marcos and Calde are with us and we've signed got Poke. It is rumoured that there are more on the way.

Does this sort of squad building indicate that our manager is about to do a runner? Nothing is certain in football, but I really don't think so.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Swansea fan in peace,

With regard to Poyet there seems to be a feeling with some on the Swansea boards that he could replace Sousa if he leaves. The general feeling is he would not leave Brighton with your new Stadium coming ect but he may be asked. He just missed out on the job the last time which you think may have put him off but he seems to have remained on a good relationship with our Chairman.

As I understand it, your Chairman refused to give Sousa the funds to bring in a striker in January. Your defence was outstanding last season, but a lack of goals scuppered your promotion campaign. Unless Mr Jenkins gives Poyet a cast iron guarantee that the purse strings will be untied, surely Gus wouldn't be interested; and unless something is wrong between Bloom and Poyet then I wouldn't have thought Swansea would be a particularly alluring prospect anyway.
Here's a name for you Swansea; Brendan Rodgers. He had a torrid time at Reading, but I believe he can be a very good manager, and he plays the game the way you've got used to under Martinez and Sousa.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I hope he wont go (obviouslt) but have noticed that his mate Sousa is being reported on SSN website as having left Swansea.

Swansea

Jan 13, 2010
As I understand it, your Chairman refused to give Sousa the funds to bring in a striker in January. Your defence was outstanding last season, but a lack of goals scuppered your promotion campaign. Unless Mr Jenkins gives Poyet a cast iron guarantee that the purse strings will be untied, surely Gus wouldn't be interested; and unless something is wrong between Bloom and Poyet then I wouldn't have thought Swansea would be a particularly alluring prospect anyway.
Here's a name for you Swansea; Brendan Rodgers. He had a torrid time at Reading, but I believe he can be a very good manager, and he plays the game the way you've got used to under Martinez and Sousa.

There is a little more to it than that, we are a fairly small club but Sousa was given money he spent it on Cotterill £600,000 from Sheff Utd he had been given £800,000 for a striker a few Months previously for Craig Beattie words were exchanged but it was not that he was given no money he just wasted it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There is a little more to it than that, we are a fairly small club but Sousa was given money he spent it on Cotterill £600,000 from Sheff Utd he had been given £800,000 for a striker a few Months previously for Craig Beattie words were exchanged but it was not that he was given no money he just wasted it.

£800k for a centre forward is what top LEAGUE ONE sides spend, though. It won't get you to the Prem.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I may be mis-remembering but he was not first chioce for Bloom either(?)

When Slade left Bloom contacted potential replacements and asked them for an interview (he wanted to meet professionally as he had not employed a Manager before) Copell turned down the interview.

Bloom then interviewed a few people but was very impressed with Gus and 'knew straight away' that Gus was the man for the job

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
Another day gone.

Club still to announce Gus signed or what is hold up.

Sky finally report Prutton signing for Swindon. To be with his mates?

Argus reports ........nothing at all really.

No new Striker or Centre back.

Just on the Premier League and a Good CV requirement, what was on Zola's CV? Certainly not been enhanced.

Happy days!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This may have appeared elsewhere, but;

Poyet says he is about to sign a four year deal, from the BBC:

Brighton manager Gus Poyet has distanced himself from the vacant post at Championship side Swansea City.

The Uruguayan was widely believed to have been pipped to the job a year ago by Paulo Sousa, who left on Monday to take over at Leicester City.

"I would say it is practically impossible," said Poyet, who guided the Seagulls to League One safety last season.

"I am very close to signing a four-year deal here and everything is agreed."

Poyet, who was appointed at the Withdean in November last year, still has a year to run on his first managerial contract but has been in talks over the new deal since April.

It is not known if Brighton would stand in the 42-year-old's way should Swansea make an approach, but Poyet admitted he was not surprised to have been linked with the job.

Brighton's Gus Poyet cools Swansea City job speculation

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think we need a slight reality check, even if Gus signed a five year contract he is only as safe as a Chairman's wallet, either way. If, and that is a massive IF, Man City, Spurs, Fulham, or whoever else from the Premiershite wanted him there are two huge factors to consider:

1. A contract can and would be broken, and
2. Could w eafford to turn down the compensation package?

Don't get me wrong I think Gus is a very good manager and we should od very well with him at the helm, that said a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on, better placing your faith on the manager's integrity.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I think we need a slight reality check, even if Gus signed a five year contract he is only as safe as a Chairman's wallet, either way. If, and that is a massive IF, Man City, Spurs, Fulham, or whoever else from the Premiershite wanted him there are two huge factors to consider:

1. A contract can and would be broken, and
2. Could w eafford to turn down the compensation package?

Don't get me wrong I think Gus is a very good manager and we should od very well with him at the helm, that said a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on, better placing your faith on the manager's integrity.

Whilst i agree with what you are saying, it may make the difference when a chairman thinks:

Poyet or (E.G.) Zola? If i want Poyet i have to pay Brighton 250k compensation, I can get Zola for nothing!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
True, but to be honest until you get to £1m+ does it really make a difference in the PL?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The money makes a difference to us... he needs to sign his contract...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Another day gone.

Club still to announce Gus signed or what is hold up.

Sky finally report Prutton signing for Swindon. To be with his mates?

Argus reports ........nothing at all really.

No new Striker or Centre back.

Just on the Premier League and a Good CV requirement, what was on Zola's CV? Certainly not been enhanced.

Happy days!

I'm tempted to just say "F**k off" to this kind of post - it's really starting to get right on my tits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here