Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We did agree a transfer fee with Reading, but it was Gus, not Reading, that pulled the plug on the deal.

Not what I have been led to believe by ' other sources '
Think you will find that Reading pulled out of the deal when they realised what Gus was up to.

Back in March GP was everybody's darling. Except for TB. GP's request to leave in March was only known by a few; can you imaging the uproar that would have occurred if TB had simply let GP go at that time? TB would have been accused of having no appetite for promotion; for not having the balls to keep his manager to his contract; and for letting the manager push the chairman around, not to mention a 100+ page binfest on NSC.

Quite unthinkable at the time.

I feel like I'm starting a book half way through so apol's for trying to catch up, but:

Didn't we all know he wanted to leave in March? Regardless of any others we knew he was speaking to Reading

TB had prepared to let him go, the minute he gave permission for the talks. Yes it might have made the final couple of months difficult but pretty sure the way I heard it was he was gone and then it was Poyet that did the U turn after everything had been agreed

Had he gone I doubt TB would have come in for too much criticism, he is smart enough to know how to position such news I think

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I used to like Poyet and hope he screws up.

Like Cheshire cat, I still like Poyet and hope he does well.

Just sad it went wrong down here, whatever "it" was.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes - I've said today on this board that anyone who takes the attitude of "Gus GOOD, Club BAD" is stupid. Just Gus has come in for an UNBELIEVABLE amount of flack in an area where we have NO idea what happened - he could be almost totally at fault, or the club could be. Chances are it's somewhere down the middle.

We should be looking at it from down the middle, rather than from Gus's "corner" or the club's.

He has also had a fair number metaphorically noshing his knob throughout this whole farce so he hasn't been without his friends on here. There are many who believe that Poyet walks on water and did no wrong at all during his time with us.

I was 100% supportive of him as our manager, gradually lost respect for the man and now I have no time for him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was referring to when he wanted out, as per Mellotron's post. You do accept he wanted out a few months before he was sacked I assume?

He was sacked after ,, shit I can't be arsed.

No, you're right. I misread the context of you post. My error.

However, I'm still suprised people even link his 'wanting out' with his sacking. Legally, in the case of 'gross misconduct' it has no relevance in the slightest.

But that's another issue.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No, you're right. I misread the context of you post. My error.

However, I'm still suprised people even link his 'wanting out' with his sacking. Legally, in the case of 'gross misconduct' it has no relevance in the slightest.

But that's another issue.

How do you know it has no relevance in the slightest? Poyet's gross misconduct could be connected. He may have deliberately engineered his own sacking once he knew he had to pay (or an interested third party would have to pay) to get out of the remainder of his contract.

NONE of us know so I'm surprised that people are still so supportive of Poyet over the club until the truth comes out.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Like Gus said, time to move on. Not just for him but us. Football fans seem to have a particular propensity to wallow in the past. Only two things I have to say. 1) Good luck to him; and 2) Thanks.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How do you know it has no relevance in the slightest? Poyet's gross misconduct could be connected. He may have deliberately engineered his own sacking once he knew he had to pay (or an interested third party would have to pay) to get out of the remainder of his contract.

NONE of us know so I'm surprised that people are still so supportive of Poyet over the club until the truth comes out.

How do you know 'none' of us know.

You may know.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He has also had a fair number metaphorically noshing his knob throughout this whole farce so he hasn't been without his friends on here. There are many who believe that Poyet walks on water and did no wrong at all during his time with us.

I was 100% supportive of him as our manager, gradually lost respect for the man and now I have no time for him.

I've never seen ANYONE on here who said he never did any wrong whatsoever in his time with us.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

He was and still is an incredibly frustrating individual. Im sure he was a bugger to work with, difficult to manage and rude.

I don't think anybody doubts or denies that

But, we had a good solid football team under him, and given our history a high level of success. He is now in the premier league and we have, it would appear, been unable or incapable of hitting the heights we did last year either in squad quality, cost or attainment.

That's not a criticism of Oscar by the way.

Jimmy Grimble

I honestly don't care what happens to Poyet. The answer to the obvious "so why did you post on this thread" question is that I'm interested in how he does but don't care if he's a success or failure. I've always thought he'd be a good premier league manager but that now is too soon for him. He obviously thinks he's ready but I don't. Interested to see who's right.

And I bloody hope we get them in the cup or are in the same division as them next season. His return to the Amex would be 'fun'.

But, bloody hell, isn't this...

"Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me.”

...just typical Poyet?

He really is one of those characters who is just as difficult to hate as he is to love.

I'm glad we had him for a while but, because we're not as big as Poyet's ambitions, it was always likely to end badly.

Excellent post.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

I'm totally in agreement with this; I have several friends who feel the same and I suspect that there may be hundreds if not thousands of others.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good luck to him. Met him once, very personable, charming, a bit crazy, and can talk the hind leg off a donkey. Saw the Albion play some of the best football I have seen in watching them for 40 years, so no complaints from me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good luck to him. Met him once, very personable, charming, a bit crazy, and can talk the hind leg off a donkey. Saw the Albion play some of the best football I have seen in watching them for 40 years, so no complaints from me.

Have you ever met Not Gus Poyet???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah right like we need that, never tempt fate... knowing his jammy luck they would win...... can you just picture that smug face walking towards the Sunderland fans after the game holding aloft his red & white scarf grinning like a cheshire cat before he turns to the directors box saying "This ones for you Bloom"

I can do without that thanks

Nightmare scenario and a binfest of biblical proportions on here about how we should have worked out some way to keep him here from more than few NSC posters. No thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here