Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thing is, Gus has always lived by the principle that if one of his players wanted to play at a higher level, he would NEVER stand in their way. Perhaps he felt the club should've taken the same attitude towards him.

The key point here is, a player is an asset of the club. If another club (at a higher level) wanted one of our players, we wouldn't stand in their way if that club met our valuation of the player. Of course we wouldn't just tear up the player's contract and let them leave for free.

Gus told Bloom in March that he wanted to leave at the end of the season; but I bet he didn't offer to buy himself out of his contract. This is what Paul Barber said at the Supporters' Club AGM in August:-

Gus told us four days before a match against Crystal Palace he wanted to leave. From then on we were in a difficult situation but I can’t go into details of what followed. In an era of Financial Fair Play we’ve got a bigger responsibility than ever to protect the club’s assets, including the contracts with personnel and the money those contracts are worth.

I am certain that if Gus had offered to pay the compensation clause in his contract, or if another club had been prepared to do so [and by some accounts, Reading had been willing to do so, Sunderland not so much], then Gus would have left in more amicable circumstances. But why SHOULD the club let Gus leave for nothing (or even have to pay HIM compensation), if he has engineered the departure? And we are not talking small sums; apparently the compensation figure was in the region of 2.5million.

Let's just assume Bridcutt wants to leave; would you be happy for the club to say "Okay Liam, thanks for your efforts, you are free to go and we will pay you out the rest of your contract"? Or would you expect them to seek the market valuation from a potential buying club? And if you WOULD, why do you have a different expectation in the case of Poyet, who was probably the biggest "asset" we had at the time?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I was referring to when he wanted out, as per Mellotron's post. You do accept he wanted out a few months before he was sacked I assume?

He was sacked after ,, shit I can't be arsed.

I for one am willing to believe TB, (despite GP's denials), who is quoted as saying, "He phoned me up and he made it clear to me that he wanted to leave at the end of the season." - I am not convinced however that he actually wanted to leave immediately - TB's exact quote on this is, "He didn't want to discuss it at all. He said that if he could leave, if it would be allowable for him to leave the next day that would be fine."

That last quote strikes me as being very similar to someone who hands in their notice and lets their employer know that if they want them to go straight away then that's fine - not necessarily that they actually wanted to leave immediately. If he actually wanted to leave immediately then why didn't he just say so - why mention "at the end of the season" at all?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The key point here is, a player is an asset of the club. If another club (at a higher level) wanted one of our players, we wouldn't stand in their way if that club met our valuation of the player. Of course we wouldn't just tear up the player's contract and let them leave for free.

Gus told Bloom in March that he wanted to leave at the end of the season; but I bet he didn't offer to buy himself out of his contract. This is what Paul Barber said at the Supporters' Club AGM in August:-

I am certain that if Gus had offered to pay the compensation clause in his contract, or if another club had been prepared to do so [and by some accounts, Reading had been willing to do so, Sunderland not so much], then Gus would have left in more amicable circumstances. But why SHOULD the club let Gus leave for nothing (or even have to pay HIM compensation), if he has engineered the departure? And we are not talking small sums; apparently the compensation figure was in the region of 2.5million.

Let's just assume Bridcutt wants to leave; would you be happy for the club to say "Okay Liam, thanks for your efforts, you are free to go and we will pay you out the rest of your contract"? Or would you expect them to seek the market valuation from a potential buying club? And if you WOULD, why do you have a different expectation in the case of Poyet, who was probably the biggest "asset" we had at the time?

If the club wanted to get compensation for Gus, they shouldn't have sacked him.

I imagine if Gus had started this season we'd be in a higher position than we are now, and we might have been able to attract a better manager than Oscar to take over.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
.....Even so,i felt when i saw Gus in his Sunderland tie,that it was like seeing an ex girlfriend with another man.....

But it's quite funny knowing that she will end up screwing someone else behind his back as well. Because she can't stop her knickers falling off everytime she see's a hard cock.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
.....Even so,i felt when i saw Gus in his Sunderland tie,that it was like seeing an ex girlfriend with another man.....

Funny, it felt like that to me too - a red and white striped tie just didn't seem to suit him!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Funny, it felt like that to me too - a red and white striped tie just didn't seem to suit him!

I agree. I also thought he looked very sheepish when he was holding the scarf above his head. He had this 'do I have to?' look about him.

I'm surprised he took the role. No doubt Sunderland are a big club, but rooted to the bottom and with goodness knows what mess Di Canio has left behind, I thought he'd wait for Jol to be pushed and go for that. High risk in my mind, but also big reward if he pulls it off.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I imagine if Gus had started this season we'd be in a higher position than we are now, and we might have been able to attract a better manager than Oscar to take over.

So the manager tells the chairman he wants out in the summer. Then almost immediately after a terribly dispiriting loss to our bitterest rivals in the play-offs, he publicly questions his own commitment to the club. The next day he refuses to deal with the players out of contract, telling the squad he may not be manager next season.

And yet you would still have been happy for Poyet to continue as Albion manager?

I thank the footballing gods that you are doing fine work with orangutans in Borneo rather than running the football club I love.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
So the manager tells the chairman he wants out in the summer. Then almost immediately after a terribly dispiriting loss to our bitterest rivals in the play-offs, he publicly questions his own commitment to the club. The next day he refuses to deal with the players out of contract, telling the squad he may not be manager next season.

And yet you would still have been happy for Poyet to continue as Albion manager?

I thank the footballing gods that you are doing fine work with orangutans in Borneo rather than running the football club I love.

Rational logic like this has been proven to have no effect on the Poyet bedwetting boys club on here unfortunately.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

orangutan-male.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

so what else could the club have done and what's the point in having a manager who has made it clear that he doesn't want to be here? Do you really think his heart would have been in it pre season? what sort of players would he have signed?

Let's face it, the club wouldn't have sacked him on a whim, they (and Bloom) do have expert legal/employment law advisers you know!!

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I thought the blue and white tie was left over from his Chelsea outfit, and the red and white from Swindon. No doubt he has a plain white one somewhere, the colours bleached out in case another club finally calls.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

How good is Oscar compared to whom?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Borneo?

Cloud Cuckoo land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here