Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If the club wanted to get compensation for Gus, they shouldn't have sacked him.

I imagine if Gus had started this season we'd be in a higher position than we are now
, and we might have been able to attract a better manager than Oscar to take over.

Exactly right-if he'd kept his mind on the job in hand we'd be playing Premier League football this season. He didn't, we aren't.

I'm sending you a crowbar so you can get your head out of Poyet's backside.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Exactly right-if he'd kept his mind on the job in hand we'd be playing Premier League football this season. He didn't, we aren't.

I'm sending you a crowbar so you can get your head out of Poyet's backside.

But that does not really stand up to a statistical analysis. According to TB, Gus said he wanted to leave three days before we played Palace at the Amex.

Our subsequent league form was P9 W5 D4 L0 F18 A5 Pts 19

If he had wanted to leave at the end of the season, the best way to have done this would be via a successful promotion campaign, as it would have enhanced his cv and earnings potential in a similar way to that of Paul Lambert, who also took a club from the arse end of League 1 and took them up to the Premier League, and then quit to go to Villa.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So the manager tells the chairman he wants out in the summer. Then almost immediately after a terribly dispiriting loss to our bitterest rivals in the play-offs, he publicly questions his own commitment to the club. The next day he refuses to deal with the players out of contract, telling the squad he may not be manager next season.

And yet you would still have been happy for Poyet to continue as Albion manager?

I thank the footballing gods that you are doing fine work with orangutans in Borneo rather than running the football club I love.

:lolol:

I think its simple enough to say I don't agree. Gus is ambitious and knew he was in demand from the premier league. It also seems likely there was a falling out somewhere along the way, so Gus decided to tell TB he wanted to leave in the summer after hopefully getting us promoted. TB took exception to this and the relationship rapidly spiraled out of control. Despite this Gus kept his eye on the job and got us to the play-offs with a fantastic run and some of the best football we've played, it only went wrong in the final 20 minutes of the final game of the season. It was a terribly dispiriting loss, no doubt very dispiriting to our manager who gave a passionate and in the eyes of many, ill-advised interview after the game when he spelled out exactly what we needed to go up. Some people wanted to be cuddled and patted on the head but its never been Gus' style, he has always told it like he is. Meanwhile the board had made it plain to him he was on his way out so he refused to deal with the retained list - because his loyalty has always been first and foremost to his players and he knew it wouldn't be fair to them. Whether this was the thing the Board used to suspend and then sack him, we don't know, but at this point the relationship was so broken that things like the retained list was just a symptom of the overall malaise.

Under these circumstances, no of course he couldn't continue as our manager, but he should have been let go amicably and respectfully after all he had done for us. Maybe they tried to, once it was too late, after all Gus is a proud man. And I wish that somewhere along the line TB could have realized just how important Gus was to us, that we needed a special manager to get us promoted under our budget constraints and he was that man. If they had worked it out then I would of course be delighted if he was still here.

Anyway, your point was that we should have tried to get compensation for Gus - which is hard to do when you sack him, that was all I was saying in my comment.

Maybe this will be my last on Gus. I'm just waiting for Oscar to show me something - anything! - to demonstrate he is a good manager, and then it will be easier to move on.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why would you want someone who'd already said he was quitting months beforehand to deal with the retained list?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why would you want someone who'd already said he was quitting months beforehand to deal with the retained list?

Because he was still - nominally at least - our manager. Therefore it would presumably be part of his normal duties. He wasn't suspended until after that happened (I think), so maybe that was why he went. Would "failing to carry out a direct order" count as gross misconduct? Quite possibly, I would have thought.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Quite right - and I wasn't attempting to "speculate".

:lolol: Ok.

I DO enjoy reading some of the BRILLIANT theories on this thread though. Some are like a movie plot.

I'd go for Ricky Gervais to play David Burke and Jason Statham to play Barber.

Dom Littlewood as Oatway.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
:lolol: Ok.

I DO enjoy reading some of the BRILLIANT theories on this thread though. Some are like a movie plot.

I'd go for Ricky Gervais to play David Burke and Jason Statham to play Barber.

Dom Littlewood as Oatway.

How about Javier Bardem to play Mr Poyet - could portray him as deliciously evil, which would suit the interpretations of some.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But that does not really stand up to a statistical analysis. According to TB, Gus said he wanted to leave three days before we played Palace at the Amex.

If he had wanted to leave at the end of the season, the best way to have done this would be via a successful promotion campaign, as it would have enhanced his cv and earnings potential in a similar way to that of Paul Lambert, who also took a club from the arse end of League 1 and took them up to the Premier League, and then quit to go to Villa.

Exactly what I thought would happen anyway, as I've probably stated before. Yes he's got his PL gig now, but it probably would have been a lot quicker and simpler if he'd stuck it out, regardless of if we got promotion or not, and then quit over the close season...

Ah well. 62 pages, eh? Wow!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Thought this was an interesting piece in today's Sunderland Echo

Poyet spent 16 months working alongside ex-Manchester City, Fulham and Southampton scout David Burke at Brighton after he was appointed the Seagulls’ head of football operations in January 2012.

And after ending Sunderland’s search for a new man in the dug-out, Poyet insists he had no qualms about working alongside De Fanti.

He told the Echo: “I am used to it. It was a process we had a Brighton as well.

“At Brighton, I was the manager and then the chairman came to me and asked me to work with a sporting director, who took the title head of football operations.

“It amounts to the same thing.

“I was not afraid because I know what I want and I know how it (the system) works.

“As long as we are all on the same page and we are all realistic, I have no issues.”

Short turned to De Fanti after becoming disillusioned with how a series of big-money signings in the Steve Bruce and Martin O’Neill eras had failed to improve Sunderland’s fortunes.

Italian De Fanti was the one responsible for bringing 14 players to the Stadium of Light during the summer, yet Di Canio still had an input into the final decision on signing those fresh faces.

And Poyet realises how important it is that the arrangement between the director of football and head coach is an effective one, if it is to succeed on Wearside.

“I need to make sure that I connect well with him (De Fanti) and that we have a good working relationship,” added Poyet.

“It is not about simply being friends, but making sure that you understand one another – for him to understand what we need and for him to find what we need

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thought this was an interesting piece in today's Sunderland Echo

Poyet spent 16 months working alongside ex-Manchester City, Fulham and Southampton scout David Burke at Brighton after he was appointed the Seagulls’ head of football operations in January 2012.

And after ending Sunderland’s search for a new man in the dug-out, Poyet insists he had no qualms about working alongside De Fanti.

He told the Echo: “I am used to it. It was a process we had a Brighton as well.

“At Brighton, I was the manager and then the chairman came to me and asked me to work with a sporting director, who took the title head of football operations.

“It amounts to the same thing.

“I was not afraid because I know what I want and I know how it (the system) works.

“As long as we are all on the same page and we are all realistic, I have no issues.”

Short turned to De Fanti after becoming disillusioned with how a series of big-money signings in the Steve Bruce and Martin O’Neill eras had failed to improve Sunderland’s fortunes.

Italian De Fanti was the one responsible for bringing 14 players to the Stadium of Light during the summer, yet Di Canio still had an input into the final decision on signing those fresh faces.

And Poyet realises how important it is that the arrangement between the director of football and head coach is an effective one, if it is to succeed on Wearside.

“I need to make sure that I connect well with him (De Fanti) and that we have a good working relationship,” added Poyet.

“It is not about simply being friends, but making sure that you understand one another – for him to understand what we need and for him to find what we need

Why didn't the journalist ask him about his relationship with John Stephenson? When Poyet says
I was not afraid because I know what I want and I know how it (the system) works.
does he actually mean "I already got one Head of Football fired, so I didn't feel too threatened"?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
:lolol:

I think its simple enough to say I don't agree. Gus is ambitious and knew he was in demand from the premier league. It also seems likely there was a falling out somewhere along the way, so Gus decided to tell TB he wanted to leave in the summer after hopefully getting us promoted. TB took exception to this and the relationship rapidly spiraled out of control. Despite this Gus kept his eye on the job and got us to the play-offs with a fantastic run and some of the best football we've played, it only went wrong in the final 20 minutes of the final game of the season. It was a terribly dispiriting loss, no doubt very dispiriting to our manager who gave a passionate and in the eyes of many, ill-advised interview after the game when he spelled out exactly what we needed to go up. Some people wanted to be cuddled and patted on the head but its never been Gus' style, he has always told it like he is. Meanwhile the board had made it plain to him he was on his way out so he refused to deal with the retained list - because his loyalty has always been first and foremost to his players and he knew it wouldn't be fair to them. Whether this was the thing the Board used to suspend and then sack him, we don't know, but at this point the relationship was so broken that things like the retained list was just a symptom of the overall malaise.

Under these circumstances, no of course he couldn't continue as our manager, but he should have been let go amicably and respectfully after all he had done for us. Maybe they tried to, once it was too late, after all Gus is a proud man. And I wish that somewhere along the line TB could have realized just how important Gus was to us, that we needed a special manager to get us promoted under our budget constraints and he was that man. If they had worked it out then I would of course be delighted if he was still here.

Anyway, your point was that we should have tried to get compensation for Gus - which is hard to do when you sack him, that was all I was saying in my comment.

Maybe this will be my last on Gus. I'm just waiting for Oscar to show me something - anything! - to demonstrate he is a good manager, and then it will be easier to move on.

Hasn't Gus been in touch with you and Mustapha to follow him up to blunderland so you can say all this stuff again when it all goes tits up.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

That's all well and good but you haven't told me where to send the crowbar.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Wow, just seen the latest Poyet story, he really doesn't stop talking.

Gus Poyet took Sunderland reigns after Martin O'Neill chat

“..........I asked him something like 150 questions about Sunderland. I felt it was interesting to know his opinion after he had been here. I used him – when he was having 18 holes with me – to get information.

On Newcastle "“Now I will be playing them here again soon – it looks like I will be linked with Newcastle for all my life!”

He does make me larf, discussing private conversations publicly and bigging up any future club links already. I can already see that the Sunderland fans will love him :lolol:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Wow, just seen the latest Poyet story, he really doesn't stop talking.

Gus Poyet took Sunderland reigns after Martin O'Neill chat

“..........I asked him something like 150 questions about Sunderland. I felt it was interesting to know his opinion after he had been here. I used him – when he was having 18 holes with me – to get information.

On Newcastle "“Now I will be playing them here again soon – it looks like I will be linked with Newcastle for all my life!”

He does make me larf, discussing private conversations publicly and bigging up any future club links already. I can already see that the Sunderland fans will love him :lolol:

Nothing different to what we see regularly here on NSC and I haven't seen anyone complain about that ???

"I met XYZ at ABC and asked them PQR - they said . . . . . . ."

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Nothing different to what we see regularly here on NSC and I haven't seen anyone complain about that ???

"I met XYZ at ABC and asked them PQR - they said . . . . . . ."

You don't boast about using someone to get information?

If you and I met at some function and we had a private chat, and I went on to say publicly that I used you for information, I would expect you to feel a offended, and a little used ???

What Gus is saying is that he just wants everyone to know how "clever" he is, and that he sucseeded in his plot to use MON.

Come on Creaky there are just somethings that you don't say, even if it is true ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you and I met at some function and we had a private chat, and I went on to say publicly that I used you for information, I would expect you to feel a offended, and a little used ???

What Gus is saying is that he just wants everyone to know how "clever" he is, and that he sucseeded in his plot to use MON.

Come on Creaky there are just somethings that you don't say, even if it is true ???

You do realise that English isn't his first language? I wonder how well you would cope doing press interviews in Spanish? It seems as though you can't leave the subject alone, despite the fact that he has gone.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I don't disagree with what you are saying at all - I feel exactly the same when I see posts on here reporting chance meetings with players and staff and the conversation is reported verbatim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports