Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Fair play to him when he drops all his double talk and it is not my fault "They cant leave me alone" my arse.

Ha and another thing he is not in charge of buying players at Sunderland it is Roberto De Fanti who picks the targets, so rest easy people

Poor old Gus, jumped outta a simmering frying pan into a.... feckin huge volcano.

Good luck with that task Gus.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ah, the classic use of the everyday work scenario in comparison to a football club.

If I was at a football club and used to really enjoy working under my old manager...and really disliked working under my new manager and disliked the feeling around the place, then I would probably jump at the chance to go work with my old manager, in the same role im currently in, on the same or better wages.

Does that mean I'd have to man up? I personally think that's a completely normal reaction.

Fair point, however are you suggesting there are players who "really dislike working under the new manager and dislike the feeling around the place" ? I wonder if a few players feel like that mmmmm

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So perhaps his job remit changed massively from the job and responsibilities he was given when he joined?

Or perhaps his job remit didn't change at all and he was just told that he couldn't keep on spending.

I don't think that the club would've been so naive as to write it into his contract that he could spend a certain amount each year.

Once the pre-Barber lack of financial control was exposed then there was no way that the player budget wouldn't be impacted. To image that Gus's responsibilities also changed is simply that; imagination.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thing is, Gus has always lived by the principle that if one of his players wanted to play at a higher level, he would NEVER stand in their way. Perhaps he felt the club should've taken the same attitude towards him.

What makes you think the club stood in his way? If he didn't leave in the summer, who could we have got in to replace him if he left for Sunderland now, when we are 10 games into the season? It certainly wouldn't have been Oscar.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Thing is, Gus has always lived by the principle that if one of his players wanted to play at a higher level, he would NEVER stand in their way. Perhaps he felt the club should've taken the same attitude towards him.

And in the case of a player, we'd have got a transfer fee, but in this instant we've not had another club pay us the compo that I'm sure we wrote into his contract. I think it's quite plausible that Gus was surprised by the clubs attitude.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And in the case of a player, we'd have got a transfer fee, but in this instant we've not had another club pay us the compo that I'm sure we wrote into his contract. I think it's quite plausible that Gus was surprised by the clubs attitude.

We did agree a transfer fee with Reading, but it was Gus, not Reading, that pulled the plug on the deal.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We did agree a transfer fee with Reading, but it was Gus, not Reading, that pulled the plug on the deal.

Not what I have been led to believe by ' other sources '
Think you will find that Reading pulled out of the deal when they realised what Gus was up to.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

But didn't Gus also say in the semi's post match interview that "contracts don't mean a thing." You cannot say that and expect to be contractually paid off ???

This £2.5m figure being thrown around isn't a loss to us, it's not as though we paid for him in the first place.

He wanted to go, we wanted him to go, but he didn't offer to buy his own contract out, and we didn't want to compensate him.

The way I see it is both parties got nothing, and was the correct outcome. The only difference is that instead of leaving amicably he was dragged out kicking and screaming.

The club would have been considered incompetent if he was not replaced by the time the players returned and sacking him was the last resort. Gus made it that way, and our club had no choice.

Could you imagine if he was still with us and Sunderland came in for him 10 games in. Who would we have got? it wouldn't have been Oscar, and would the £2.5m have really helped us this season if we had a management replacement crisis when there are no managers available to choose from?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not what I have been led to believe by ' other sources '
Think you will find that Reading pulled out of the deal when they realised what Gus was up to.

If you mean that Gus was trying to flush out another interested party by talking to Reading, then I know where you are coming from :thumbsup:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Fair Play, Gus.

I honestly don't care what happens to Poyet. The answer to the obvious "so why did you post on this thread" question is that I'm interested in how he does but don't care if he's a success or failure. I've always thought he'd be a good premier league manager but that now is too soon for him. He obviously thinks he's ready but I don't. Interested to see who's right.

And I bloody hope we get them in the cup or are in the same division as them next season. His return to the Amex would be 'fun'.

But, bloody hell, isn't this...

"Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me.”

...just typical Poyet?

He really is one of those characters who is just as difficult to hate as he is to love.

I'm glad we had him for a while but, because we're not as big as Poyet's ambitions, it was always likely to end badly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Maybe they did but the club looking didn't want to pay the compo, in fact I've seen something somewhere that suggested Sunderland were interested just before they appointed Di Canio but weren't willing to pay the compo, so they went with Di Canio

Whenever we have let players go it has been for a fee, why should we let Gus just walk away for no compensation?

Do you EVER look at things from the club's point of view rather than Gus's?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought Gus was mistaken and we'd be in the Premier League before him

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Arbitration is still the likely scenario.

Although Gus may still want to "clear his name", he may not want the "facts" to be presented in public ,

If the club retracted the gross misconduct in arbitration, they/we would look really silly and it would look like they/we were in the wrong.

The only thing Gus should do if he wants to "clear his name", is to make the charges public, give his version and let us decide.

He keeps on saying the gross misconducts are not as bad as it sounds, so he should be happy to reveal all. He can't have it both ways?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Something did happen.
For whatever reason ( financial/dis-satisfaction ? ) he entered into talks with another club, in March. They offered him the job. He tried to use this to get a better deal out of BHA. TB wouldn't play ball. Gus threw his toys out the pram and offered his resignation.
The last two months were clearly spent in an atmosphere of bitterness and non co-operation, coming to a head around the time of the play-offs.
Maybe GP decided he couldn't work with Barber and wanted to engineer an exit. He certainly ' ramped up ' his interest in other jobs in the last two months of his tenure. He was hardly ever out of the media spotlight.
Any long term plans had disappeared by March. GP wanted away. Perhaps it might have been better to release him in March and unleash a new man for the play-offs but TB clearly decided to see the season out.
The rest is history.

Back in March GP was everybody's darling. Except for TB. GP's request to leave in March was only known by a few; can you imaging the uproar that would have occurred if TB had simply let GP go at that time? TB would have been accused of having no appetite for promotion; for not having the balls to keep his manager to his contract; and for letting the manager push the chairman around, not to mention a 100+ page binfest on NSC.

Quite unthinkable at the time.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Fair point, however are you suggesting there are players who "really dislike working under the new manager and dislike the feeling around the place" ? I wonder if a few players feel like that mmmmm

I can tell you one next time I see you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe they did but the club looking didn't want to pay the compo, in fact I've seen something somewhere that suggested Sunderland were interested just before they appointed Di Canio but weren't willing to pay the compo, so they went with Di Canio

Whenever we have let players go it has been for a fee, why should we let Gus just walk away for no compensation?

Do you EVER look at things from the club's point of view rather than Gus's?

Yes - I've said today on this board that anyone who takes the attitude of "Gus GOOD, Club BAD" is stupid. Just Gus has come in for an UNBELIEVABLE amount of flack in an area where we have NO idea what happened - he could be almost totally at fault, or the club could be. Chances are it's somewhere down the middle.

We should be looking at it from down the middle, rather than from Gus's "corner" or the club's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here