Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Firstly, can you debate the subject without the spitefulness, and secondly, Poyet was upset about being sacked for 'gross misconduct'. Without going into the ins and outs of the situation, he said he wanted to clear his name. He understood if results on the field weren't positive that a sacking is inevitable, but having that hanging over him, is the reason he was thinking of going to court.
Magilton took Ipswich to court and although it took 3 years, he won his case for being sacked for allegedly hitting a player in the changing room. I'm not saying that Poyet will carry on with his case, but getting a new job will not necessarily cease any action that he wants to take.

Gus said he was going to take the club to court because he wanted to clear his name. He hasn't done so. By saying that he was going to do it to clear his name because he wanted the truth to come out suggests he had done nothing wrong. That is now what people think. But...

Poyet wouldn't take the club to court because he wouldn't want the truth to come out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Gus said he was going to take the club to court because he wanted to clear his name. He hasn't done so. By saying that he was going to do it to clear his name because he wanted the truth to come out suggests he had done nothing wrong. That is now what people think. But...

Poyet wouldn't take the club the court because he wouldn't want the truth to come out.

I think you're not understanding how log it takes to both prepare these types of cases and then get them to court. Don't expect anything this year.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I think you're not understanding how log it takes to both prepare these types of cases and then get them to court. Don't expect anything this year.

Sorry wasn't aware of that but wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Gus won't take the club to court because the truth will then come out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Poyet wouldn't take the club to court because he wouldn't want the truth to come out.

I was told last week by a former long term player, that he'd spoken to Poyet a couple of days before and that Poyet had repeated that he was taking the club to court and that he was absolutely certain he'd win.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Who says GP doesn't want the "truth" to come out?

Do you really think the reasons surrounding his dismissal wouldn't be known by potential future employers? - on that basis he has nothing to lose by taking the club to court.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was told last week by a former long term player, that he'd spoken to Poyet a couple of days before and that Poyet had repeated that he was taking the club to court and that he was absolutely certain he'd win.

I'd be gobsmacked, given the money involved, if it didn't end up in court.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Who cares? If he gets a job good luck to him. It's time we all moved on!

No, no Its not time yet. He must be excised first through public failure at another club (or continue being a grinning clown on telly)

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011

Do you really think the reasons surrounding his dismissal wouldn't be known by potential future employers? - on that basis he has nothing to lose by taking the club to court.

I do. Because he wouldn't.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I do. Because he wouldn't.

Whatever may or may not be the "real reasons" behind the dismissal are irrelevant, they won't make the slightest difference to his future employability, one way or the other. A court case is not just about the money, win or lose it provides a stage to air the circumstances surrounding the affair rather than the bare bones of the so-called gross misconduct.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Whatever may or may not be the "real reasons" behind the dismissal are irrelevant, they won't make the slightest difference to his future employability, one way or the other. A court case is not just about the money, win or lose it provides a stage to air the circumstances surrounding the affair rather than the bare bones of the so-called gross misconduct.

I understand that completely. I would imagine that the club aren't completely innocent with the saga as I highly doubt Gus would just hand in his resignation for as soon as possible half way through the season without a good reason.

The only reason I could see Gus going to court is to make public what the club did to him and to get the other point of view out there which would be very intriguing which nobody seems to know. But, if I was Gus, I wouldn't want people to know what I did as it would have a severe impact on my reputation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I understand that completely. I would imagine that the club aren't completely innocent with the saga as I highly doubt Gus would just hand in his resignation for as soon as possible half way through the season without a good reason.

The only reason I could see Gus going to court is to make public what the club did to him and to get the other point of view out there which would be very intriguing which nobody seems to know. But, if I was Gus, I wouldn't want people to know what I did as it would have a severe impact on my reputation.

Clubs don't care what happened at previous employments. When Russell Slade came to us, he'd been sacked by Yeovil for allegedly fiddling his expenses. We took him on and whilst he was with us, he cleared his name.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Clubs don't care what happened at previous employments. When Russell Slade came to us, he'd been sacked by Yeovil for allegedly fiddling his expenses. We took him on and whilst he was with us, he cleared his name.

Yes I know. Never said they did.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Can somebody explain why it is going to court not an industrial tribunal as it is employment related and that is the usual place to settle disputes.

For unfair dismissal, the IT would only have the governance to order the club to pay c£80k, if they found in his favour. That is the extent of their remit.

In court, Poyet would be able to claim much more (whatever the figure is) - i.e. the rest of his contract and so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports