Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's a cracking job, only played 5 matches so got loads of time to sort things out and the transfer window to play with in January. Palace are nailed on for one of the relegation places and a couple of results and they are clear of the bottom 3. If I was Poyet I snap their hands off if I got offered the job.

This. This. This.

Gus would have absolutely no trouble keeping them up. He would certainly build a much better working relationship with the players than PDC ever did. We know from anecdotal evidence from his time here that for the vast majority of his reign he had a very, very good relationship with the squad, barring a few exceptions.

IMHO, this would be the perfect stepping stone Premiership job for Gus. Prove himself at Sunderland and he might get a crack higher up the league.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I said earlier, I can see it happening, and I hope it does. Can't wait for him to start touting himself for the better jobs he 'so richly deserves' again. We can redeploy any monies set aside to pay off the goon. And the Gus lovers can then finally move on too (I hope).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is such a clown that he is in demand as a pundit on most channels.

A clown, but an entertaining one. Rent-a-quote. An opinion about everything. And likely to say something stupid.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he has to be a serious contender. If he gets it, then I wish him well.

Got a feeling they are more likely to go with RDM if he wants it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As I said earlier, I can see it happening, and I hope it does. Can't wait for him to start touting himself for the better jobs he 'so richly deserves' again. We can redeploy any monies set aside to pay off the goon. And the Gus lovers can then finally move on too (I hope).

A clown, but an entertaining one. Rent-a-quote. An opinion about everything. And likely to say something stupid.

my God do you ever stop?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

What like you have ???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I would love it, if Poyet went there. But alas I don't think he would go that far North, hope i'm wrong though. It is a big job on paper and they were stupid enough to employ Di Canio, so you never know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Firstly, can you debate the subject without the spitefulness, and secondly, Poyet was upset about being sacked for 'gross misconduct'. Without going into the ins and outs of the situation, he said he wanted to clear his name. He understood if results on the field weren't positive that a sacking is inevitable, but having that hanging over him, is the reason he was thinking of going to court.
Magilton took Ipswich to court and although it took 3 years, he won his case for being sacked for allegedly hitting a player in the changing room. I'm not saying that Poyet will carry on with his case, but getting a new job will not necessarily cease any action that he wants to take.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The MAIN thing about Mr Poyet is that he is no longer the Brighton and Hove Albion manager. If he is offered and takes the job at Sunderland then that's up to them and him, and rugger all to do with us.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The MAIN thing about Mr Poyet is that he is no longer the Brighton and Hove Albion manager. If he is offered and takes the job at Sunderland then that's up to them and him, and rugger all to do with us.

precisely

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Indeed. Although I suggest it makes a pre court compromise agreement between Gus and the club, if at all possible, much more likely.

And then finally a line may be drawn under everything.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It would be quite fitting if Poyet got offered the Sunderland job, dropped any court case( I don't think a club can employ a manager, who has an ongoing issue with a previous employer. I could be wrong but i'm sure that's why Curbishley couldn't work for ages) and took it. That would be him all over, then make out he was doing us a favour and he is the victim still.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why would Gus want to go there? Their pre summer transfer window wage bill was £64m, they have a debt of £84m ish and they signed 14 players in the window. How much would Ellis Short be prepared to givehim in January? He has an italian back room staff, would he be able to bring in his own staff, with all the extra expense that would mean for the club. I think he will probally wait for Fulham, which i dont think will be long, than take on a club which appears to be in meltdown, and Sunderland need a manager with more experience in the Premier league

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thing about speculating about Fulham is that if Jol were sacked I think RDM would be up for it too and his CV is better than Poyet's.

I reckon it's Pulis to Sunderland leaving Poyet to whoever fires next that isn't Fulham. Still keep coming back to Palarse!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder what input the boy Tanno has?

What are the chances the entourage is getting twitchy.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Premier league?, massive fanbase, some real talent who have just been mismanaged...?

Nah, Gus would hold out for something better because he enjoys the Jobcentre regulars so much.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If RDM gets Sunderland after Hughes got Stoke and Martinez got Everton you could conclude the market for Poyet would consist of the promoted three. Of those I can't see Mackay or Bruce getting the chop....

That said, Gus is a good fit at Sunderland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here