Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet SLAMMED by Abbott

Sep 1, 2010
“How can he make a statement like that when Brighton have had no money and have been in financial trouble in the past?

Does the club not run at a loss at these games?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
A touch of the Leeds United/Portsmouth to that business plan, don't you think?

Hardly on the scale of Leeds or Portsmouth spending money is it just to put out a side that wants to win a tin pot trophy.

Try to be a little realistic in your comparisons please.

Now if you had compared it to other clubs that have won the JPT and their subsequent financial demise because of it, then that would be a good point well made.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hardly on the scale of Leeds or Portsmouth spending money is it just to put out a side that wants to win a tin pot trophy.

Try to be a little realistic in your comparisons please.

Now if you had compared it to other clubs that have won the JPT and their subsequent financial demise because of it, then that would be a good point well made.

Of course it's not to the same scale, that's why I said 'a touch'. All I am saying is losing money (which every additional game at Withdean basically is) because we MIGHT be able to win something that would bring in some money is the basic principle of what Leeds and Portsmouth did.

I am 1 of these supporters that wants the albion to go as far as possible in all competitions whether it be the carling cup,JPT or FA cup and I feel for the fans that pay herd earned cash to see a weakened team fielded..... Yes,priority is the league but all competitions are a good source of revenue if you get to the later stages so in dissing the JPT Gus can expect some critisism!!!

If we get into a play off spot or better then I would agree with Gus.
However, if we are mid table this year - then yes it would have been a wasted opportunity to get knocked out of the cup in the first round.

I expect Gus, didn't want any more injuries or red cards - so is pleased that we are out.

2 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats (in all competitions) is not great form is it?
Hopefully a win on Saturday will focus the mind on the league

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Out of interest, does anyone know if we HAVE to enter or could we just skip the JPT ?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think it's all about expectation. Poyet's longer term aims are such that the JPT is not a priority, and anything that isn't a priority gets in the way.

For Abbott, it represents the best he is likely to achieve

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Out of interest, does anyone know if we HAVE to enter or could we just skip the JPT ?

You're automatically entered, its mandatory.

If they simply let clubs opt out, then I think they'd end up seriously struggling for numbers.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it's all about expectation. Poyet's longer term aims are such that the JPT is not a priority, and anything that isn't a priority gets in the way.

For Abbott, it represents the best he is likely to achieve

I think that is a tad churlish to be fair. carlise are a decent team and I expect them to be there or there abouts.

My concern ( although I had no intention of going anyway) was that if Gus had made his mind up that we were not interested in this competition ( and I understand he made similar comments after the League Cup) then what wa sthe point in asking people to come along and pay a tenner? I expect that Brighton and Hove Albion and its management give 100% every game otherwise, remember the OUTRAGE on here when Mark McGhee said that he wasnt bothered about a couple of games away as we were going to lose them anyway

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You're automatically entered, its mandatory.

If they simply let clubs opt out, then I think they'd end up seriously struggling for numbers.

Which kinda indicates what a pointless cup it is then. I'm pretty sure the FA Cup you can opt out of and you don't see that happening.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which kinda indicates what a pointless cup it is then. I'm pretty sure the FA Cup you can opt out of and you don't see that happening.

I've seen instances where non-league clubs have forgotten to register for the FA Cup. But unless you're Man Utd, teams would never deliberately opt out of it because there is actually a chance of playing someone decent in a big tie, and unlike the JPT, the FA Cup is generally still held in some esteem by 99% of clubs and fans.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think that is a tad churlish to be fair. carlise are a decent team and I expect them to be there or there abouts.

To me it's about mindset, and that is the key difference between the two men

The fact is, Poyet is expecting to manage at a higher level

For Poyet, doing well in either the League Cup or JPT would potentially undermine his chances of going up, which is his sole aim. If he got the team to a JPT final, for instance, but failed to get into the playoffs, the season would be a failure.

I'm not saying a agree with it, just attempting to explain.......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To me it's about mindset, and that is the key difference between the two men

The fact is, Poyet is expecting to manage at a higher level

For Poyet, doing well in either the League Cup or JPT would potentially undermine his chances of going up, which is his sole aim. If he got the team to a JPT final, for instance, but failed to get into the playoffs, the season would be a failure.

I'm not saying a agree with it, just attempting to explain.......

Fine...but I would caution Mr Poyet as many have tried and many failed.

I am still not 100% convinced he will still be here at the end of the season, It would not surprise me at all if a decent championship/premier club came knocking, especially as he seems to have contacts

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He's quite right. As much as the competition is not a priority, to come out and say it should be scrapped the day before a game is disrespectful in the extreme. It's OK for him to say having played at the top level but third division footballers may see it differently.

That's without taking into account all the fans that bought tickets for the game. I don't usually disagree with Poyet but I think his comments about the JPT were wrong.

By and large,I think Poyet is wrong.IMHO,we need to get into the habit of winning.....whatever the game/competition.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've seen instances where non-league clubs have forgotten to register for the FA Cup. But unless you're Man Utd, teams would never deliberately opt out of it because there is actually a chance of playing someone decent in a big tie, and unlike the JPT, the FA Cup is generally still held in some esteem by 99% of clubs and fans.

Man United didn't opt out. United opted to take part in the inaugural World Club Championship in Brazil to help England's ill-fated 2006 World Cup bid.

United faced no choice after being strongly pressurised by both the Football Association and the Government to take part, so that German champions Bayern Munich did not take United's place and score political points.

That kind of casual misinformation is the way urban myths get started Easy!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I would think the point of the JPT is that there is far more chance of us winning that, than there is of winning the FA Cup.

I have never understood the poor response to the JPT. I would wager a large bet that there would be more interst if we had got to the final. All the knockers would be clamouring for tickets.

Poyet got it wrong.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
IMHO,we need to get into the habit of winning.....whatever the game/competition.

I'm sure most people would agree about that, but the reality is that the players and management are not focusing on the JPT because it doesn't get them to where they want to be, ie, the Championship. Players won't be taking on that 50/50 challenge that they might if it was an important league game.

What if key players got injured or sent off during a JPT match and then we missed out on the playoff by a couple points? We can make a lot more money as a club by going up then we can winning the JPT.

swazinio

swazinio
Nov 1, 2009
partridge green
I feel it's a competiton you either get to the final or go out in the 1st round,
Looking at the crowds for it ,there is a complete lack of interest in it until the
area finals.At least we didn't suffer any injuries or sending offs(like Southampton
did with Lee Barnard).

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
If you look at the facts, Carlisle have got to this final at least 4 times before, so they obviously take it seriously. We have got no further than that luton match a few years back and so we don't. Just a difference of opinions, not just Gus Poyet and Greg Abbott, it includes the board and probably a large percentage of supporters. We should just agree to disagree about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here