Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet SLAMMED by Abbott

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
A trip to the final at Wembley would have brought out the arm-chair fans, and I’m sure the club would have done some sort of final-ticket/Falmer-ticket deal, together with the sale of shirts/scarves/flags etc. How many ‘fans’ did the South Coast club take?

Gus advises that he sees no point in the competition as it does not give anything to the promotion push, or entry into Europe, it’s just a trip to Wembley. But it would have been the first time a great number of us have been back since 1983, and could have put a few £’s in the transfer kitty ready for the Championship.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
A cup run, in any cup, is only going to bring a positive vibe to the club. Look how many people wanted to go to Luton on a Tuesday night a few years back? If the League is "far more important" then why wernt we talking that many on a Saturday afternoon?

I would love to see the club win the JPT.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I'm still totally 100% behind Gus but that doesn't make him immune to criticism.

He was wrong to say what he did before the game and he was wrong to adopt the 3-7-0 tactics for the last half hour of the match once we had gone 0-2 and missed the penalty. The two guys sitting next to me were obviously new to the Withdean experience and I can't see them rushing back to watch the Albion.

I still don't understand why many people think we can either do OK in the League OR have a cup run. A decent team with a reasonably large squad, which is what I believe we have, should be able to try to do both.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the timing of Gus's comments were poor, but I just cannot muster the enthusiasm for this competition. Would I go to the Final if we got there ? Yes, of course. Would I be bothered if we lost ? Not particularly. Its a good day out, but ultimately completely meangingless, and I certainly wouldn't be buying any souveneir "JPT WINNERS" paraphanalia.

Its just too tinpot to bother with properly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Those of you who think we were crap againt orient are deluded and for some reason just desperate to moan or have a pop at poyet. IMHO like.

Agree with easy, I'd go to wembley, but it wouldn't have the excitement or suspense of even a run of the mill league match.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Abbot just trying to big himself up at the expense of somebody who has a name in the game, boring little twat. The JPT is a waste of time unless you happen to be a no hoper club.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Those of you who think we were crap againt orient are deluded and for some reason just desperate to moan or have a pop at poyet. IMHO like.

Agree with easy, I'd go to wembley, but it wouldn't have the excitement or suspense of even a run of the mill league match.

I'm certainly not a negative poster on this board, nor am I desperate to moan or have a pop at Poyet, who I think is an excellent manager. In my opinion, though, we were very poor against Orient and I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise. We looked toothless in the final third.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I really feel we should have tried to win the JPT this year, as its OBVIOUSLY the LAST time we will ever be able to enter it...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Really can't get too excited about this either way.

Although to listen to the fella, you'd think the JPT was woven into the very historical fabric of the game, like the Wembley horse, flat caps, and Leon Knight.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I agree with gus as its a pointless cup that only benefits the final,surely if anything clubs are losing money while playing innit???

Maybe JP should pump more money in to make it more viable:thumbsup:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
mt ost fans reading this would love a day at wembley because jpt was realistic premotion this season is not:bhasign:

I admit it is early, but we are three points off top spot with a game in hand. LuaLua has just re-signed too, and if Sandaza lives up to the billing we will be serious contenders IMO.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He makes a fair point about a potential windfall, but not so much about us no longer being a 'poor club' financially. Sure, our debts are manageable, but we don't have money to waste.

It is a potential money spinner if you are able to get to the final, but I would imagine that every single club that does not make the Wembley final loses money on the night, not forgetting that there is the added risk of losing key players to suspension and/or injury.

League Cup/FA Cup is great. There is a chance to play a large team, but the JPT is rubbish. If we are going to be forced into a cup competition then I would rather we had an Anglo/Gallic cup or something along those lines.

If the FA see fit to force the smaller clubs to compete in such a competition then perhaps they need to reconsider the prize money available or at least ensure that it is profitable.

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
To be honest i have never heard of this fella having a pop at our Gus, Using the great man to try and make a name for himself!

Abbott will be nothing more then a League 1 manager!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
This competition doesnt really bother fans until maybe the Southern Semi Final which is effectively the 1/4 final.

Any this Carlisle dude is still upset after getting humiliated in the final last year, both in the goals stake and the fans stake.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
To all those who think that the JPT is a prestigous competition which should be given full and total support by all teams involved...

Imagine if Lua Lua and Murray broke their f***ing knees in collision with some lump at Stevenage or somewhere equally shit.

Then come on here and explain why it's such a great idea in a season, where we really, really have a chance of getting out of the basement, to risk our talented players in a cup that not even the papers can be arsed to cover.

It is a waste of everyones time and money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here