Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As someone who saw this come up yesterday, ignored it and has come back today to see nothing has changed, I feel slightly less downbeat than some others here. At the moment, the only Sky Sports article about this is:

POYET FAVOURITE: Sky Sources understand Brighton boss is set for Reading talks

Now I am pretty sure that Sky, in their eagerness to "bring you breaking news first" would be all over any actual detail related to this, and present it as fact. But all they can put in their headline is that "sources understand" that he is "set for talks"?

Sky always want to be first with 'breaking news' - that's why they often get it wrong.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
When all this is finally over and Gus comes out and says he isn't interested (which I'm sure he will), I hope that the Googlers at SSN issue a public apology and admit that most of the time they don't have Googling clue about what is going on.
:Albion:

cpfc1905

Mar 18, 2013
I know, but why was Barbour there?

probably to discuss a compensation claim. which in itself tells you he's open to discuss with other clubs to the point of salaries... We see this with Freedman only a few months ago...
Once this happens its a case of when and where to, not much hope now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Gus in Barbados ..so unless Reading appoint someone else in meantime this should run until he is back at the very least ..200 pages by then?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Gus in Barbados ..so unless Reading appoint someone else in meantime this should run until he is back at the very least ..200 pages by then?

Not at all. I'm sure Reading's head honchos have access to aircraft, you know.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread is reminiscent of the Vicente one just before he came back, only with less bile directed at Gus :smile:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
probably to discuss a compensation claim. which in itself tells you he's open to discuss with other clubs to the point of salaries... We see this with Freedman only a few months ago...
Once this happens its a case of when and where to, not much hope now.

I agree, but it makes little sense at the first interview with Poyet?

I understood the normal protocol to be the compensation agreement before permission to talk. Not actually in the same meeting?

Why would Poyet actually go to a meeting with Barbour, or do Reading want both of them?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has anything concrete happened since then?
Yes. NSC has gone into meltdown.

yep i heard this too, gus has gone apprently, going to be released soon...
Yep, it's a done deal - Gus is up there teaching Reading to pass right now. Meanwhile, you can still get 8/11 with the bookies. Apparently people don't want to take the free money on offer :shrug:

less than 2 mill compensation?!! surly it would be a lot more than that?
That's what it's always been reported to be (eg when Wolves wanted Gus), and it makes no sense to me whatsoever. How can our players be worth more than our manager? If our manager goes we're in a whole heap of shit.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Even if Reading come down and they will, he will probably double his wages because of the parachute money. If he manages to keep them up he'll get a massive bonus.. He probably wants to stay with you although he believes at this stage you only have a slim chance of promotion. You wont make 2nd spot so its a lottery even if you do make the play offs. I believe they discussed terms prior to the flight also compensation, that is why Barber was present and he's thinking it over while supping a pina colada on a beach in Barbados right now......
He'll be gone by tonight

I call you're the mug who signed up to the airport forum for one post claiming he was in a meeting with Reading. Impressive commitment to a prank but nonetheless very, very sad. My source says Holloway was in a meeting with a pair of scarecrows yesterday to discuss taking over from your centre backs, as they may be a little less static and more capable of marking strikers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why is everyone talking as if he's already gone?

There was some utter clown on talksport earlier dong just that. It all media speculation and nothing has changed since yesterday. Stop panicking!

I heard that, the guy from Hampshire? I'd been out in the car, and it took me about three minutes to find out he hadn't actually gone. Both him and Brazil talking as though he had gone already. And then they chucked in some random question about England and Rio Ferdinand. WTF? ???

cpfc1905

Mar 18, 2013
Welcome to the discussion, but there is no chance Gus is leaving.

Remember that your situation with Dougie was a lot different, because Bolton are much bigger club with better resources & facilities. The same scenario doesn't apply between us and Reading.

Thank you Mustafa, Admittedly the fan base is very much the same, but with the premier league money and if and when Reading get relegated financially with the parachute payments they are a much bigger club as was in the bolton scenario

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Even if Reading come down and they will, he will probably double his wages because of the parachute money. If he manages to keep them up he'll get a massive bonus.. He probably wants to stay with you although he believes at this stage you only have a slim chance of promotion. You wont make 2nd spot so its a lottery even if you do make the play offs. I believe they discussed terms prior to the flight also compensation, that is why Barber was present and he's thinking it over while supping a pina colada on a beach in Barbados right now......
He'll be gone by tonight

I'm just baffled by your need to come on to this forum. Would you be kind enough to give an explanation as to the reason why you feel the need to opinionate on all things Brighton, it's very intriguing because it has got absolutely nothing to do with your South London club. I think deep down you would love to be fan of The Seagulls, thats my take on it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Thank you Mustafa, Admittedly the fan base is very much the same, but with the premier league money and if and when Reading get relegated financially with the parachute payments they are a much bigger club as was in the bolton scenario

As I understand it they are owned by some Russian oligart, and have loads of money already. Poyet is a pimp, and will go if the money is there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports