Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because it was boring when you was in the 1st division for all those years
Yes it was. But we weren't there because we had bad managers, we were there because we had no ground, so no money. Losing Poyet now would be a dent for us, particularly for the style of football I've enjoyed watching, but it won't put us in league 1/2.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I can't understand why some don't appreciate why Reading would be a relatively attractive next step for Poyet.

If they stay up, he would be a hero. If they come down, his reputation won't be harmed considering where they are now. And he would have a stronger base from which to mount promotion challenge next season.

Whatever happens I trust Tony Bloom 100% to keep the Good Ship Albion heading in the right direction.

chiefkickass

Jan 19, 2012
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363869740.181441.jpg
Odds heading the wrong way for Gus again :-/
With Adkins now on 4/1

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That Mail story actually makes me more hopeful. Clearly Gus' advisers are thrashing out a deal in case he wants it, but it seems he's definitely not decided to leave yet. Reckon he's strengthening his bargaining position within Brighton by demonstrating he has other options, but would be very surprised if he ultimately left for Reading.

Exactly a year ago Brian McDermott was given permission to speak to Wolves who were where Reading are now.. He spoke, Reading forum was in meltdown..... But he merely used those talks to get a better contract and strengthen his position.

Gus advisors would tell him he must speak to Reading wether he's interested or not, they is nothing to lose from such talks and potentially much to gain. Would not be suprised to see Gus stay on improved terms just as McDermott did last year

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I can't understand why some don't appreciate why Reading would be a relatively attractive next step for Poyet.

If they stay up, he would be a hero. If they come down, his reputation won't be harmed considering where they are now. And he would have a stronger base from which to mount promotion challenge next season.

Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves.... they all came down, retained most of their Premier League squads and have further strengthened.

Look where they are.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If everyone on NSC puts a pound on Adkins, we'd see him quickly overtake Gus into the favourite. And then we can all relax! Sounds like it is worth a pound to me...
I'm sorry to be a traitor, but I just put £500 on Gus to go to reading. He can go now if he wants.
Ok, that's a lie, I didn't. But I am in a bad mood.

TBM

Mar 20, 2013
Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves.... they all came down, retained most of their Premier League squads and have further strengthened.

Look where they are.

Difference being we (Reading) actually know what is involved in the Championship and what is required to get out of it (we've done it twice and reached the play-offs four times) - Wolves/Blackburn/Bolton were too suited to Premiership football

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Whatever happens I trust Tony Bloom 100% to keep the Good Ship Albion heading in the right direction.

Tend to agree with most of what you wrote. It will be a step back in the project and suspect we will lose some key elements of the squad but the club goes on and we ll come back stronger

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Difference being we (Reading) actually know what is involved in the Championship and what is required to get out of it (we've done it twice and reached the play-offs four times)
When you say 'we (Reading)' do you mean the fans? Because if Gus is your manager, he doesn't know what is required to get out of the Championship - other than to leave. So will your fans run the team?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Gus will go if he thinks it will get him the Chelsea job a little bit quicker to be honest.

TBM

Mar 20, 2013
When you say 'we (Reading)' do you mean the fans? Because if Gus is your manager, he doesn't know what is required to get out of the Championship - other than to leave. So will your fans run the team?

No i mean the club - we have a director of football (Nicky Hammond) who Gus would have to work with.....

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Difference being we (Reading) actually know what is involved in the Championship and what is required to get out of it (we've done it twice and reached the play-offs four times) - Wolves/Blackburn/Bolton were too suited to Premiership football

What about Blackpool, Birmingham, and Burnley then? They came down and certainly weren't too suited to Premiership football. None of them are close to being near the promotion picture this campaign. Parachute payments don't neccesarily lead to success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here