Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pound 4 Pompey Appeal?

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I have little / no sympathy for Pompey as a club. They deserve all thats coming to them. One thing does puzzle me though.......People keep saying that it is fans that will suffer. How? The general supporter will not be out of pocket like all the creditors and if the club goes tits up I am sure that a new team / club will emerge giving the inhabitants of Portsmouth a team to get behind and support. That doesn't seem to be REAL suffering.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Some one threw a pound on the Pitch at Fratton Park last week - Police are investigating whether it was a missile or a take over bid.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
My thoughts:

a) it's a futile gesture and even £1M is a drop in the ocean. £10k wouldn't be worth the hassle.
b) who would the money go to? Players on £30k a week or gun-running owners? Can you guarantee it won't just get swallowed up?
c) Where are all the Pompey fans' protests? Why should I care if they don't?
d) there's very little goodwill with the Pompey situation. It is different to Wrexham and Plymouth.
e) in reality you'll raise £1000 at most.

agree totally.......also, have you given thought to monitoring 'collectors' credentials ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Why not have a collection confined to outside the South Stand next Saturday?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You may be in the majority. It doesn't make you right.

Arguments about you getting upset that Pompey fans took the piss, are frankly, laughable and irrelevant.

As is the fact you can't hold a view unless you went with a shaking tin to every club in trouble ever (dozens).

Interesting also, that in all the posturing you haven't actually dealt with the central point about what does anyone know about what is really going on.

I am not on a high horse. I just think you're a hypocrite, and have forgotten Pompey fans at our Fan United.

I'm wondering why you've singled me out as the villain? You missed my point about attending other Fans United. I am supportive of other clubs-but not when they've screwed local businesses, charities and other clubs 3 times. Maybe that kind of business ethic is acceptable to you and therefore deserves your support. It isn't something I find palatable-especially when their fans were still wanting players to help get them into the playoffs as recent as last week.

Where did I say I was upset about Portsmouth fans taking the piss? I merely mentioned the fact that they did. Clearly your issue is with me so any rational debate with you is not going to happen. 1 more for my ignore list.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm wondering why you've singled me out as the villain? You missed my point about attending other Fans United. I am supportive of other clubs-but not when they've screwed local businesses, charities and other clubs 3 times. Maybe that kind of business ethic is acceptable to you and therefore deserves your support. It isn't something I find palatable-especially when their fans were still wanting players to help get them into the playoffs as recent as last week.

Where did I say I was upset about Portsmouth fans taking the piss? I merely mentioned the fact that they did. Clearly your issue is with me so any rational debate with you is not going to happen. 1 more for my ignore list.

Just a quick question-if somebody who is on you ignore list starts a thread.do you see it

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Likewise, you may be standing alone but it doesn't make your viewpoint any more morally correct.

A serious answer from me: Pompey are, in their present form, f***ed. If they got bailed out yet again it would be to the detriment of yet another set of creditors and would undoubtedly be a temporary respite. The people at the top of the club seem to attract the very people that Pompey fans don't want. The simple answer is for the fans to take back their club and the only feasible way of doing this is to start again. They have a terrific fanbase and other clubs have shown that within 10 years they could be knocking on the doors of the league again.

Let's stop papering over the cracks and just accept the cold hard facts. You and I both know this is best for Pompey fans in the long run and also best for football too. I'd rather save my ire for the people at the head of compliance in the Football League and FA who seem incapable of running a fit and proper test over prospective owners.
Beautifully put and really no more need to be said. I agree with Tooting inasmuch as some of the gloating is a bit beyond the pale, but likewise the "we're all fans together" and "no one wants to see a club go bust" mantras really don't apply in this case.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Bullsh*t. Gutless. You just thought everyone would agree with you, and couldn't handle another view. If you react like that every time someone disagrees with you, enjoy looking at a blank message board some time very soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Pompey had got rid all of all big earners in the summer and bought a load of Conference players, they would have 0 points, but things would be a bit better financially.
They'd have been relegated and would be ready to start again in L1 next year - except they'd still have had their stinking owners, so nothing would have changed unless they could have got rid of them. They need a decent owner (like Sir Dick Knight), whether they get that now or by starting again.
Maybe I'm being too caring here, but I'm just thinking of their supporters. How would we be feeling if we were in their shoes?
I do feel for their supporters, but that is diluted by the fact they've done very little to stop it.
The simple answer is for the fans to take back their club and the only feasible way of doing this is to start again. They have a terrific fanbase and other clubs have shown that within 10 years they could be knocking on the doors of the league again.
Would it really take 10 years, or is that what it takes for the smaller clubs you mention? If Pompey start again, how many promotions would they need to get in league 2? I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to rent Fratton Park, get several thousand fans (it would be fun watching your team winning promotion after promotion) and get the best players in the division.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Maybe I'm being too caring here, but I'm just thinking of their supporters. How would we be feeling if we were in their shoes?

We would be doing something, holding protests, making banners, campaigning at places like the FA, finding out who the responsible people are/were and sending floods of e-mails to those people. What have Portsmouth fans done?

Where is the publicity?

Where are the threads on here from their fans (GFITW :bla: :rolleyes:) asking ask us for help or advice?

I know an MP asked a question in the House of Commons about the club but that is all I have seen.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They can sod off. When we were in the shit we didnt shaft one single creditor we didnt sign palyers that cost 000s a week WHILE STILL IN THE SHIT. f*** them. there will be a phoenix afc portsmouth so the fans will have a club.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
No, crook 2 owns FP, and is either owned £7 or £17million.
He'll want his money back from the sale.
But crook 1 owns the surrounding land, so nobody would want to just buy FP.

To expand

Gaydamak (5 owners ago) owns the land behind the Fratton End and right round to the land behind the North Stand. The rest of the land is owned by the businesses which occupy the south side. Gaydamak is somehow also owend £2.2 mill from the parachute money after the terms of the Andronikou administration.

Chainrai owns the ground which is valued by him at £17 million but valued at approx £3m in real terms.

The only chance Pompey have is liquidation which would mean that the ground and surrounding area could potentially be bought by someone with the clubs interests at heart at a real rather than monopoly price. Any other scenario and it keeps Chainrai £17 mill in pocket due to this 'football creditors rule' which has been abused in this instance.

Quite why anyone would give a quid to keep those money laundering arms dealing chancers in business is beyond me. Someone think of the fans I hear you cry. each to thier own.

Last edited:

Lakedry

Aug 13, 2011
Just a random Sunday morning thought, should we not do a 'Pound 4 Pompey' Appeal bucket collection next Saturday? Given what we have been through, I think we should do something. Given we should have a 20,000 crowd, the scale of our bucket collections is on a different level to Withdean. If we could raise £10,000 that would be phenonominal.

If this or something similar has been posted, sorry please ignore!

But just because we have The Amex and are in a good place, I feel we should do something to help - it's not the Pompey fans' fault.

Supporters' Club and volunteers seated inside each of the stands could collect in & around ALL the concourses.

We need a list of who could help & in which stand - each brings at least one bucket. We print the 'Pound 4 Pompey' labels - and off we go. We meet outside say Dick's Bar, stick the labels on the buckets and start collecting from 1.30pm outside The Amex and then move into the concourses pre KO and at half/full time.

Just because we are financially secure, we must not cease to ignore others.

Thoughts?

From a Pompey fan.....thanks for your thought mate. Unfortunately most on here are right.....even a massive effort across all grounds would go but a little way to pay the thieves and robbers who have destroyed our club.

I fear it is too late for us but fans should rally....if not for us then for themselves....to make sure the authorities know that their customers across the piece are not happy to stand by and see the things that have happened at Portsmouth happen elsewhere.....and they will.

Irrespective of old enmities on here.....and what some deranged old woman said on the telly years ago.....football in this country is being taken over by a great many overseas opporutnisits looking to make a quick return. The football authorities are currently, largely powerless to stop the wave and know little of the people buying into our clubs.

Birmingham.....just starting out down the same road as us.....mebbe?
Reading....lauding a new young Russian owner....but no one knows anything about him or his motivation.

What happens when these people pull the plug as the owners did at Pompey? What happens if the the sheik decides the £1bn he has poured into Man City needs recovering fast? There are at least 20 clubs in worse debt/income ratios in the UK than Pompey ever were.

What of your own club.....today.....tomorrow?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just like Rangers went into admin a few weeks ago, and over the following days said how they hadn't given up the fight for the title. WTF are these people on to think that after going bankrupt they still have the right to fight for honours.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From a Pompey fan.....thanks for your thought mate. Unfortunately most on here are right.....even a massive effort across all grounds would go but a little way to pay the thieves and robbers who have destroyed our club.

I fear it is too late for us but fans should rally....if not for us then for themselves....to make sure the authorities know that their customers across the piece are not happy to stand by and see the things that have happened at Portsmouth happen elsewhere.....and they will.

Irrespective of old enmities on here.....and what some deranged old woman said on the telly years ago.....football in this country is being taken over by a great many overseas opporutnisits looking to make a quick return. The football authorities are currently, largely powerless to stop the wave and know little of the people buying into our clubs.

Birmingham.....just starting out down the same road as us.....mebbe?
Reading....lauding a new young Russian owner....but no one knows anything about him or his motivation.

What happens when these people pull the plug as the owners did at Pompey? What happens if the the sheik decides the £1bn he has poured into Man City needs recovering fast? There are at least 20 clubs in worse debt/income ratios in the UK than Pompey ever were.

What of your own club.....today.....tomorrow?
Indeed, the FA need to change the rules. Fan clubs should probably own sections of the ground, something like Chelsea, so that the worst that could ever happen is the club start again but with a home and fans.

Good luck.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd like to think that the whole notion behind any Fans United aspect of football fraternity is helping fans of other clubs help themselves (like we did with Wrexham and Plymouth) - NOT in helping other clubs.

If there was a Portsmouth fans' movement who wished to graps the nettle and take on this whole sorry affair to a satisfactory conclusion, I would be first in the queue to assist. Sadly, I see none. If there is one, I have not heard of it, or they have not shouted loudly enough.

Additionally, the figures we're talking about here is chasing good money after bad and wouldn't have any desired effect, aside from maybe some Brighton fans thinking 'well, we tried...'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here