Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pound 4 Pompey Appeal?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You are an utter disgrace on this issue, and I am embarrased you are an Albion fan. How can you gloat in their problems like this after what we have been through?

No two situations are ever the same. Has there been gross financial mismanagement over years there? Of course there has. Should they be paying Kitson £20k a week, and have been paying Lawrence £30k a week? Of course not, it is madness. They should have sold all of them, bought some cheap players, ensuring relegation but survival. But that is NOT the fans' fault.

I have read some complete drivel on here about 'they should have known, they were milking the good times'. And? What are we doing now? They didn't know what was going on.

Not for one second do I doubt Tony Bloom - but what do you REALLY know about his finances. Who could ever know as a fan.

If you, or anyone else, starts glorying in Portsmouth's predicament on Saturday in my vicinity, expect a load of abuse.

Where am I gloating ?

If you are near me bleating on Saturday, expect a load of abuse.

I take it you are in favour of collecting money to help pay poor Kitson?

You are the embarrassment. PFC have, since 1998, gone into administration THREE TIMES yet you think we should help them stay in the league? I have supported every other club's struggles. We're you at Wrexham for Fans United? If not then I'm embarrassed that you are an Albion fan. We're you at Chester for their Fans United? Doncaster's at Gillingham?

The big difference is those clubs didn't go into administration 3 times whilst getting all of the monies life in the Premiership brings.

As for their fans-how many years of them taking the piss and gloating over our situation did you miss? And what are they doing now? Wanting loan players bought in to get them into the playoffs, that's what.

It's strange how you have decided that I'm the villain here-what's life like up on your high horse?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
If we gave them 10k of our hard earned all it would do is pay 3 and a half days wages for Dave Kitson.
What's the point?
They've got themselves so deep anything the rest of us do is irrelevant.
The day they put players like Kitson and Lawrence on 20k a week after being in administration once they lost all sympathy - only themselves to blame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where am I gloating ?

You are the embarrassment. PFC have, since 1998, gone into administration THREE TIMES yet you think we should help them stay in the league? I have supported every other club's struggles. We're you at Wrexham for Fans United? If not then I'm embarrassed that you are an Albion fan. We're you at Chester for their Fans United? Doncaster's at Gillingham?

The big difference is those clubs didn't go into administration 3 times whilst getting all of the monies life in the Premiership brings.

As for their fans-how many years of them taking the piss and gloating over our situation did you miss? And what are they doing now? Wanting loan players bought in to get them into the playoffs, that's what.

It's strange how you have decided that I'm the villain here-what's life like up on your high horse?
Exactly.

Just two/three months ago, when we were 5 points ahead of Pompey, my Pompey ST holder mate believed they'd score more points than us between then and the end of the season. He knew about their financial mess, but just refused to accept it as a reality, and assumed they'd keep pushing on for more glory. I think the best way to help these people is to let them start again (which I hope they do successfully).

By the way, how much have Pompey fans raised with buckets at the ground in the last month?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Is he really? A lot of us have started feeling like this as Pompey continue to take the piss while their fans just talk about pushing for promotion.
Did the fans protest every game asking the club to sell these players so their may be a chance of survival? No, they talked about promotion.
:lol: Given that our owner (who we know exists) has spent his own money, interest free, on a new ground, we have no reason to think our spending is out of control. Pompey fans did know what was going on, they were concerned but did little about it. And you think you can compare their hundreds of million pound spending spree good times with our current position? We've barely spent anything on players.

Yes there are examples where a fan would be surprised to find their owners were taking the piss and running up debt. Pompey is not one of these examples.
I guess I'd better think twice then.

That saved me all that complicated multi quoting business. Thank you.

I drove down to the Plymouth Fans United game and have campaigned to help clubs like Wrexham and Chester, but I wouldn't walk to my front door to "save" Pompey.
Their fans have welcomed one unknown saviour after another without ever questioning the bona fides as long as the latest East European or fake sheik can squeeze into a Pompey shirt and pronounce his love for the club (presumably through an interpreter)

I actually think I care more about what happens to a traditional old football league club than most of the Pompey fans do.
But it seems its too late now for them to actually do anything about it.

So, sorry Paul, but when the buckets go round on Saturday I'll be having lunch in the East Stand Brasserie, which was bought and paid for by a Brighton fan.
Portsmouth don't deserve my support.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just a random Sunday morning thought, should we not do a 'Pound 4 Pompey' Appeal bucket collection next Saturday? Given what we have been through, I think we should do something. Given we should have a 20,000 crowd, the scale of our bucket collections is on a different level to Withdean. If we could raise £10,000 that would be phenonominal.

If this or something similar has been posted, sorry please ignore!

But just because we have The Amex and are in a good place, I feel we should do something to help - it's not the Pompey fans' fault.

Supporters' Club and volunteers seated inside each of the stands could collect in & around ALL the concourses.

We need a list of who could help & in which stand - each brings at least one bucket. We print the 'Pound 4 Pompey' labels - and off we go. We meet outside say Dick's Bar, stick the labels on the buckets and start collecting from 1.30pm outside The Amex and then move into the concourses pre KO and at half/full time.

Just because we are financially secure, we must not cease to ignore others.

Thoughts?

Totally disagree. You simply cannot compare Portsmouth's situation to what we went through; that's like saying Ghandi was the same as Hitler as both were imprisoned for their beliefs. My view is that for the overall good of football Portsmouth need to follow the path taken by Aldershot, Accrington Stanley, Newport Coounty and many other clubs, so I won't be helping or contributing, sorry.

And as an aside why do people always say "it's never the fans fault"? To a certain extent it IS the fan's fault simply because fans always expect the chairman to 'invest' in the team regardless of where that investment is coming from. If they feel that not enough is being spent then they make their feelings known. Add that to the general modern fan belief that a club's progress should always be forever upwards and the view that it's 'not the fans fault' looks increasingly inaccurate. The bottom line is fans can play just as bigger part in the demise of a club as they can in saving it - when of course we all trumpet about how marvellous we are. That's a general criticism of all football fans BTW (yes, even ours), not just a dig at Pompey's.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Where am I gloating ?

You may be in the majority. It doesn't make you right.

Arguments about you getting upset that Pompey fans took the piss, are frankly, laughable and irrelevant.

As is the fact you can't hold a view unless you went with a shaking tin to every club in trouble ever (dozens).

Interesting also, that in all the posturing you haven't actually dealt with the central point about what does anyone know about what is really going on.

I am not on a high horse. I just think you're a hypocrite, and have forgotten Pompey fans at our Fan United.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm in two minds if I'm honest I think it'd be wrong of us to ignore their plight, We all agree the fans don't deserve it then it gets abit mixed up.

Is there a possibility that it was the glory hunters and the load prickish few that many have seen/heard/read? Sounds familier. What about the thousands of fans who did give a shit?

What about us under Bamber? We also only started really kicking off when we found out about the ground?

And even if it is the big nasty fans fault that has very little to do with raising some money, If we did raise say £10/15k then we could go one of two ways either withhold it until AFC Portsmouth are born and it is given to the new club to have a good start/legal fee's renting a ground.

Or speak to the offical supporters club or the appropriate body and make sure and actually see the money going to the non playing staff.

Or are we just going to ignore them like another Chesterfield?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is where I have a problem about raising money for them, where will it go - to the person who is taking the next 4 parachute payments ?

This. No point in raising money just as a gesture. It has to go towards something positive like a Supporters Trust fighting fund or something. Do they even have one?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
If nothing else us helping them will piss off the Saints fans on here on the wind up 24/7.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can they sell Fratton now and lease it back?

You may be in the majority. It doesn't make you right

Likewise, you may be standing alone but it doesn't make your viewpoint any more morally correct.

A serious answer from me: Pompey are, in their present form, f***ed. If they got bailed out yet again it would be to the detriment of yet another set of creditors and would undoubtedly be a temporary respite. The people at the top of the club seem to attract the very people that Pompey fans don't want. The simple answer is for the fans to take back their club and the only feasible way of doing this is to start again. They have a terrific fanbase and other clubs have shown that within 10 years they could be knocking on the doors of the league again.

Let's stop papering over the cracks and just accept the cold hard facts. You and I both know this is best for Pompey fans in the long run and also best for football too. I'd rather save my ire for the people at the head of compliance in the Football League and FA who seem incapable of running a fit and proper test over prospective owners.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just a random Sunday morning thought, should we not do a 'Pound 4 Pompey' Appeal bucket collection next Saturday? Given what we have been through, I think we should do something. Given we should have a 20,000 crowd, the scale of our bucket collections is on a different level to Withdean. If we could raise £10,000 that would be phenonominal.

If this or something similar has been posted, sorry please ignore!

But just because we have The Amex and are in a good place, I feel we should do something to help - it's not the Pompey fans' fault.

Supporters' Club and volunteers seated inside each of the stands could collect in & around ALL the concourses.

We need a list of who could help & in which stand - each brings at least one bucket. We print the 'Pound 4 Pompey' labels - and off we go. We meet outside say Dick's Bar, stick the labels on the buckets and start collecting from 1.30pm outside The Amex and then move into the concourses pre KO and at half/full time.

Just because we are financially secure, we must not cease to ignore others.

Thoughts?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Great idea - how can I help? :moo:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Disagree with the idea, they have been in Administration 3 times in over 12 years - yet continued to bring in players with high wages. Best thing for the club would be to be liquidated - then start as AFC Pompey, which would be set up by the clubs true fans, debt free - that is what we could raise money for if it was to happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can they sell Fratton now and lease it back?
No, crook 2 owns FP, and is either owned £7 or £17million.
He'll want his money back from the sale.
But crook 1 owns the surrounding land, so nobody would want to just buy FP.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting also, that in all the posturing you haven't actually dealt with the central point about what does anyone know about what is really going on.
That point has been discussed here. Pompey fans knew there was no money at the start of the season when they didn't have a full squad to play us, and had to bring in youth players. They knew they were in trouble before the last transfer window, but did they all protest at the club asking them to sell their expensive players? No. Of course had they have protested it could have fallen on deaf ears, but if they had tried they would now have more sympathy.
I just think you're a hypocrite, and have forgotten Pompey fans at our Fan United.
Did they have buckets going round Pompey for us? What exactly did they do for us? When they have fans united days there, you can be sure Brighton fans will turn up, but you want us to do a lot more for them than they did for us, while our situation was a lot worse and wasn't self-inflicted.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Likewise, you may be standing alone but it doesn't make your viewpoint any more morally correct.

A serious answer from me: Pompey are, in their present form, f***ed. If they got bailed out yet again it would be to the detriment of yet another set of creditors and would undoubtedly be a temporary respite. The people at the top of the club seem to attract the very people that Pompey fans don't want. The simple answer is for the fans to take back their club and the only feasible way of doing this is to start again. They have a terrific fanbase and other clubs have shown that within 10 years they could be knocking on the doors of the league again.

Let's stop papering over the cracks and just accept the cold hard facts. You and I both know this is best for Pompey fans in the long run and also best for football too. I'd rather save my ire for the people at the head of compliance in the Football League and FA who seem incapable of running a fit and proper test over prospective owners.

I agree, that is a serious answer and probably the best solution as opposed to some of the childish nonsense above. My real problem is with the 'Fcuk Pompey fans' attitude given our own problems, rather than their financial catastrophe which I also spelled out in my original post. I don't think such a gloating attitude sits very well with what Brighton have asked of others in recent years. If Pompey had got rid all of all big earners in the summer and bought a load of Conference players, they would have 0 points, but things would be a bit better financially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here