Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ve never replied to one of your posts to date. This message board is open to all and is all about opinions but as your are not a Brighton fan and only appear to be interested in following Potter’s career ( and there is nothing wrong with that at all), why do you not just post on the Shed End ? You can’t understand the history or culture of our club just by researching the internet. Your comments now do unfortunately come across as a bit arrogant and “know it all” .
Because I don't want to. Like I've said 10 times or something. Go to the f***ing Shed End yourself, I'm not interested.
It might well have blown over.

In normal circumstances.

However the poaching of Bruno was the game changer ( and I know Bruno gave the final Yes/No on that ). If that hadn't happened the wound of Potter leaving would have been far more superficial.
Problem with Bruno is that people thought that they and the club owned him but eventually it turned out that Bruno owned Bruno. I can see how that is disappointing but when reality meets football it often turns out that a legend or icon was just a human.
This!! Potter is a fabulous coach, and supposedly a very intelligent man. Choosing Chelsea is so high risk as to be almost suicidal on his behalf. His Brighton ‘project’ was halfway through and looking like it might just disrupt the established football order of this country. It’s a season like no other. England will be looking for a new boss. Chelsea’s owners are inexperienced - there’s relegation Todd and NO draft. Their fanbase has helped f*** off Jose, Sarri, Conte, Tuchel… The last of your worries is the reaction of an incredibly loyal fanbase who did stick by you as your refined and defined your approach. Wish you no Ill will; yesterday lanced the boil.
When is the "project" of leading a football club all the way through rather than halfway? When you win the league? When football cease to exist? How far was Alex Ferguson into the Manchester United project?
Not the best at taking it? He's behaving like a 5 year old! He's so bitter he's lost control over the personality he worked so hard to present.

I fully expected him to say, "That's football, its emotional. I get it, they love their club and they are hurt by what's happened. I'm sure they appreciate what I gave to their club and in time they'll understand why I moved. The club's in good hands, theyll continue to progress and I wish them well"

But no, childest little digs and a full 180 over "it's not about me, it's the club, the structure. It's never about one person". Now he's saying it is only about him, look what I did for you. How dare to react to me walking out and taking the whole coaching team with me.

I'm gobsmacked how it's got to him. The digs about the atmosphere may be the pinnacle of his tantrum, or is it the "some people appreciate what I've done" comment after Perv shook his hand.

Emotional intelligence? Of a five year old. He's lost a lot of respect all round, what a prick. He'll not last long at Chelsea if he doesn't grow up.

Perhaps he needs to go back to college? Take the grown up course.
Yeah he didn't say what you expected him to say and if you really, really want it (and plenty do) he's taking all the credit for all the success. If you think that makes him five-year-old then that is your take obviously.

In reality there is very little he could have said that people here wouldn't have tried to turn into something pathetic or devilish by twisting his words to oblivion.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When is the "project" of leading a football club all the way through rather than halfway? When you win the league? When football cease to exist? How far was Alex Ferguson into the Manchester United project?

Potter was given an extraordinarily long contract after a very short 'probation'. It was a shock to everyone - fans, journalists, maybe even Potter himself.

Bloom then stuck with Potter through some truly terrible runs. Even last season, home form was awful until the last few games.

Then, just as results turned and Bloom's incredible faith was starting to be repaid...

Anyway, f*** Potter.

TEAM DE ZERBI.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He's not as stiff as he comes across in most interviews and on the sidelines. If you listen to longer, more relaxed interviews with him, you see a different side.

How you come across on the sideline and in TV interviews is usually part of a strategy rather than a personality. Some, like Jesse Marsch and RdZ do the whole "look at me, I'm passionate and clownin' around on the pitch and shit" which gets the fans to side with the manager and the team etc. which is very useful, but if he has a dire spell against easier opposition than RdZ has had before, people are going to find the antics more silly than useful. Hopefully we won't have to see that day.

Others are like Mourinho, raging and deflecting blame and taking some pressure off the players by taking all the space.

Others are like GP, not giving much away, staying controlled. Maybe doesnt do much for riding the wave but helps in bad times that the players know he won't do something batshit or silly if things aren't going well.

There's merits to all of those approaches (which are usually more calculated than they look, at least when winning).
You're right about marsch, it's a deliberate act.

DeZerbi no, he's a football obsessive. Seems to be generally obsessive in fact. Very passionate and determined, his improvement in English whilst changing the playing style and achieving good performances demonstrates that. He's all in.

It's hard/impossible to hide that. Graham doesn't have that personalty unless he's a complete psycho freak. Graham's low key style and calmness has its merits certainly.

Maybe he'll continue to unravel and start getting looney passionate with the stress and expectation at Chelsea - it will be a sign that all is not well though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
However he meant it, Potter was right when he said that he hadn't experienced an atmosphere like Saturday's when he was in charge. It was the best since the legendary Sheffield Wednesday game, and proves that we can get produce it when it really counts. Forget the booing, Saturday showed what the positive noise of fans getting behind the team can achieve.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter was given an extraordinarily long contract after a very short 'probation'. It was a shock to everyone - fans, journalists, maybe even Potter himself.

Bloom then stuck with Potter through some truly terrible runs. Even last season, home form was awful until the last few games.

Then, just as results turned and Bloom's incredible faith was starting to be repaid...

Anyway, f*** Potter.

TEAM DE ZERBI.
Bloom stuck with Potter through some terrible runs and Potter stuck with Bloom despite being the only club in the league, possibly ever, to achieve a net transfer profit over 2.5 years. There's plenty of managers who in the past have either walked or thrown their owner under the bus for not investing in the team. There's even more managers who have overseen their teams getting relegated, with the millions and millions it costs, because there was no investment in the team.

Blooms "incredible faith" got repaid, GP & the staff likely saved him hundreds of millions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not the best at taking it? He's behaving like a 5 year old! He's so bitter he's lost control over the personality he worked so hard to present.

I fully expected him to say, "That's football, its emotional. I get it, they love their club and they are hurt by what's happened. I'm sure they appreciate what I gave to their club and in time they'll understand why I moved. The club's in good hands, theyll continue to progress and I wish them well"

But no, childest little digs and a full 180 over "it's not about me, it's the club, the structure. It's never about one person". Now he's saying it is only about him, look what I did for you. How dare to react to me walking out and taking the whole coaching team with me.

I'm gobsmacked how it's got to him. The digs about the atmosphere may be the pinnacle of his tantrum, or is it the "some people appreciate what I've done" comment after Perv shook his hand.

Emotional intelligence? Of a five year old. He's lost a lot of respect all round, what a prick. He'll not last long at Chelsea if he doesn't grow up.

Whilst I enjoyed all the booing at the weekend, and the lovely win, and Potter sounding a bit like Pep does in interview when he loses, I do think you may be reading a little too much into this. Armchair psychology can be fun but I'm not sure it's terribly predictive. I don't think that Potter (or anyone else, aside from those who have suddenly taken an interest in class A drugs) would turn from the messiah to a very naughty boy overnight.

It is interesting how much he's rubbed the 'Shed End' board up the wrong way, though. If you add in several bucket loads of extra entitlement, they sound like the likes of oneilco, bw3 and junior did a year ago on NSC :lolol:

My final comment on our former manager (till he gets the boot/England job): I still think that Potter has the demeanour of someone who bullies would like to punch. A bit like Southgate. The sucking of air through the teeth, etc. The beard(s) help, but humans are mostly cruel and simple folk who like their 'leaders' to appear 'strong'. Like Bob 'f***ing focus!' De Zerbz :lolol:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I could post this quote in many of the current threads, but this one will do. Just a little snippet from the The Times report today;

Atmosphere
Seeking revenge for Chelsea’s raid of Brighton’s staff led to a record attendance and a spectacular atmosphere. Season-ticket holders described it as the best at the Amex since the stadium opened in 2011. Chelsea’s players, especially the former Brighton defender Marc Cucurella, were beaten by more than just the 11 opponents on the pitch.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
However he meant it, Potter was right when he said that he hadn't experienced an atmosphere like Saturday's when he was in charge. It was the best since the legendary Sheffield Wednesday game, and proves that we can get produce it when it really counts. Forget the booing, Saturday showed what the positive noise of fans getting behind the team can achieve.
Yeah, but I think the players were also up for this one more than many other games.
The intensity of the opening 5 minutes fuelled the already hyped-up fans, which in turn transferred to the players.
The Man City win was similar (for different reasons)

But to counter your argument, it isn't just a case of it being up to the fans can make the team play better.
I have been to too many games, where the fans have been up for a game and then been quickly deflated by the performance on the pitch.
The last time we played Cardiff in a "must win" is a good example.
Also plenty of times under Potter, where the fans were baying for some intensity, only to be met with, slow intricate build up play, with no end product.
It absolutely killed a good atmosphere on many occasions.

I'm hoping that De Zerbi's style will lead to a more positive atmosphere throughout 90 minutes, more frequently/

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Spot on.

The reply you suggested is exactly what he should have said.

He's still got a lot to learn. It's the first time - I think - he has moved between clubs in the same division. He's handled it all very badly. At this level he needs a thicker skin.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yeah I've usually talked in third person about all things Brighton to save you from the hysterical reactions to the word "we".

Move on to the Chelski board and miss out your reaction when your beloved King Southgate go out in the quarter finals? Dunno man...
I can think of many adjectives to describe Southgate, but "beloved" isn't one of them.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Yeah he didn't say what you expected him to say and if you really, really want it (and plenty do) he's taking all the credit for all the success. If you think that makes him five-year-old then that is your take obviously.

In reality there is very little he could have said that people here wouldn't have tried to turn into something pathetic or devilish by twisting his words to oblivion.
It was not so much what I expected him to say as what any experienced football manager would say, in fact what anyone would say in any industry unless you were a narcissist. Why say things that make you look small and bitter. There's no benefit to Graham in doing that, all he achieves is an impression that the personality he's tried so hard to portray is fake. It's a really strange thing to do.

I understand why he left, he was in a good moment with results now going our way and his stock was high. He could take the Chelsea job without disrupting his family or stay and lose that chance - stay 3-4 years at Brighton or take the opportunity. It's a short career and he was riding high so good time for him to earn bags of cash and compete at the top of the game. I'm sure we all understand that.

Him going pissed me off because he is a great manager, had turned the playing style around and done masses for the pathway to the first team for young players. Results had just started to reflect that and all looked good - the timing was awful. All that loyalty and understanding shown to him was paying off. So yes, him leaving pissed folk off - taking Bruno and Roberts increased that.

There is not one person that would think they could walk back after that and be welcomed unless your opinion of the Albion was as low as could be, if you believed we were a nothing club that deserves nothing then that may be how you would think. Graham seems to be of that opinion, look what I've done for you, how dare you be so ungrateful. Even extending to "atmosphere never that great when I was there" childish barb - ironic given the club he now manages are one of the quietist crowds in the league, incorrect and very petty and emotional.

Was Graham Potter a fake? Are we now seeing the real Graham Potter? Or is he not suited too managing with expectations and is beginning to unravel? It looks like the latter to me. Will be an interesting few months for him.

Meanwhile, we have hired a great manager, another great appointment. I'd have preferred that Graham stayed as I thought he was a great fit with our club. He is now consigned to our history as a manager that thought he was better than us, like Poyet before him. In fact Poyet achieved far greater improvements than Potter - the transformation under him was phenomenal. What's he up to now I wonder?

discuss

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Bloom stuck with Potter through some terrible runs and Potter stuck with Bloom despite being the only club in the league, possibly ever, to achieve a net transfer profit over 2.5 years. There's plenty of managers who in the past have either walked or thrown their owner under the bus for not investing in the team. There's even more managers who have overseen their teams getting relegated, with the millions and millions it costs, because there was no investment in the team.

Blooms "incredible faith" got repaid, GP & the staff likely saved him hundreds of millions.
The players were brought in by the recruitment team which isn’t down to potter. You seem to be under the misunderstanding that potter was BHAFC where in fact he was only an employee, who if at other clubs would have been sacked after the bad run last season.

Can you shut the door on your way out as there’s a draft.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:facepalm:

boik

I’ve never replied to one of your posts to date. This message board is open to all and is all about opinions but as your are not a Brighton fan and only appear to be interested in following Potter’s career ( and there is nothing wrong with that at all), why do you not just post on the Shed End ? You can’t understand the history or culture of our club just by researching the internet. Your comments now do unfortunately come across as a bit arrogant and “know it all” .
I think that's a bit harsh. It feels to me that Swanny HAS become a Brighton fan, despite being initially drawn in by the manager. He does contribute to lot of threads and I don't agree with everything he says, but that's no different from a lot of lifelong "REAL" fans on here. Everyone's Albion journey started somewhere.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The players were brought in by the recruitment team which isn’t down to potter. You seem to be under the misunderstanding that potter was BHAFC where in fact he was only an employee, who if at other clubs would have been sacked after the bad run last season.

Can you shut the door on your way out as there’s a draft.
The players were indeed brought in by the recruitment team. While it may be a strange coincidence that everywhere GP has been, previously unknown or raw players have developed postively over time, I'm inclinced to believe he played a part in it.

In Östersund, the club signed players for less than £1m and under GPs reign sold players for more than £10m.
In Swansea, the club signed players for about £8m and sold players for about £50m (excluding the ca £50m sales at the pre-season of his reign)
In Brighton, the club signed players for about £188m and sold players for around £200m... while improving results in the PL.

At some point it stops being a coincidence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that's a bit harsh. It feels to me that Swanny HAS become a Brighton fan, despite being initially drawn in by the manager. He does contribute to lot of threads and I don't agree with everything he says, but that's no different from a lot of lifelong "REAL" fans on here. Everyone's Albion journey started somewhere.
I think you may be right, just need him to hold his hand up and admit it now :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Potter stuck with Bloom despite being the only club in the league, possibly ever, to achieve a net transfer profit over 2.5 years.
"Stuck with" would only make sense here if Bloom somehow deprived Potter of funds or players, which wasn't the case.

Let's not pretend that Potter - a manager with Swansea and Ostersund on his CV - was made to "suffer" (one of his favourite words) at Brighton & Hove Albion.

The recruitment team lined-up a succession of quality talent. A team so good at their job, in the fact, that Chelsea are nabbing them.

Also your "2.5 years" is knowingly selective. Sure, we made big profit on White and Cucurella, and a relatively modest one on Bissouma.

But Bloom spent a fortune on assembling the squad Potter inheritied.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here