Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've felt similar things but obviously not with Brighton. I've cheered and screamed while watching Brighton but obviously it's not the same thing as when I watch Lunds FF score the winning goal against Lunds SK in the dying minutes.

Sure, supporting a Swedish 7th tier side perhaps doesn't come with all the fancy-schmancyness of supporting a team in the Oil League, but hey, everyone is going to lose out on something; I won't celebrate wins in a 30k stadium, and you won't sleep with Swedish women.
I get just as excited seeing Shoreham score from time to time, and singing 'you're going home in a Southlands ambulance'

Prefer Norwegian myself. Not as salty.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Well here is the clip…SJ describes events nicely in my opinion ….GS :facepalm:

I was a big supporter of GP and grateful for what he did ..but “near faultless three years”…u r having a laugh

It's funny how history is being rewritten! The facts are, Potter was BHA manager for just over three years. In the first two seasons of his leadership we finished 15th and 16th. These seasons included some pretty awful runs (in 19/20 we only won three games in the second half of the season; in 20/21 we were flirting with relegation for much of the season - and it would have been dodgy were it not for Fulham's complete implosion over the last 10 games). Last season obviously ended fantastically, but included one 11-match winless run, and then another awful run where we lost six in a row - only coming to an end with a dire 0-0 draw at home to Norwich. What really turned it around for Potter was that game at Arsenal, where Caicedo made his debut. Including that match, we only lost one of our last dozen or so games....and then had a pretty impressive start this season. So - you could argue that Potter had one decent run - in April/May last year, then the first 6 games of 22/23.
Of course Potter should be credited with a lot more than that....he completely changed our playing style almost overnight, and there were several truly fantastic performances. But as you say, "near faultless" is hilarious.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
@Swansman I think you should just accept that people feel different things about the situation. You can apply logic, philosophy and any other way you want to frame it but what you are actually doing is invalidating peoples feelings on the subject. I got the impression that you're onboard the Brighton train now rather than the Potter express, you know the clubs history, you know a lot of the fans on here. AFAIK I don't know anyone on here in real life & I know people IRL that have jumped onto the Brighton train because we're now 'fashionable' along the South coast. 10 yrs ago Jnr CS was virtually the only kid in his yr that supported Brighton, there were only a few others in the whole school & a players kid was in the year above him! Brighton & Hove as a 'City' can also be a small town. Some of those kids who used to support Liverpool or whoever have been bought ST's by their parents. I think it's great that we're getting new supporters & I don't care where they come from. I have a family member who has switched from Spurs to Brighton, we used to annoy a MU supporting fan by sticking Brighton or Spurs memorabilia in his garden. He was blissfully unaware that he had a flag from the FA semi in his garden for 4 weeks! We have banter but we support different teams. Everyone on here supports the same team with exceptions (some welcome & some who are tw@ts) but you seem to currently be on a one man/woman/person crusade to invalidate peoples feelings if they don't agree with you. Fine disagree but you're making the whole of this thread, for example, go around in circles. It's pointless, it's not a politics thread, it's not worth continually annoying people by invaliding their feelings about it. 🤷‍♀️
All of you who are using the term 'salty' makes it obvious that you have teenage relatives! GP has brought the term 'salty' to NSC :lolol:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It's funny how history is being rewritten! The facts are, Potter was BHA manager for just over three years. In the first two seasons of his leadership we finished 15th and 16th. These seasons included some pretty awful runs (in 19/20 we only won three games in the second half of the season; in 20/21 we were flirting with relegation for much of the season - and it would have been dodgy were it not for Fulham's complete implosion over the last 10 games). Last season obviously ended fantastically, but included one 11-match winless run, and then another awful run where we lost six in a row - only coming to an end with a dire 0-0 draw at home to Norwich. What really turned it around for Potter was that game at Arsenal, where Caicedo made his debut. Including that match, we only lost one of our last dozen or so games....and then had a pretty impressive start this season. So - you could argue that Potter had one decent run - in April/May last year, then the first 6 games of 22/23.
Of course Potter should be credited with a lot more than that....he completely changed our playing style almost overnight, and there were several truly fantastic performances. But as you say, "near faultless" is hilarious.

I think and have not checked, but in the staying up tracker thing we would of expected a return of 4 points for the games RDZ has been in charge for so far even with Potter in charge and we have 5. RDZ has already exceeded expectations and you never know we might be able to beat Palace again now.

Potter got out while his stock was still high, hope he crashes and burns at Chelsea.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This!

I think that most of us knew that he was moving the club in the right direction but if we are honest their are long periods of time where it was bloody frustrating being a Brighton fan (mainly because we can see how close we were to being really good). He really only succeeded for the last bit of last season and the first bit of this, we are not to know if this would have continued either.

Don't get me wrong I always thought that he would do well with a better standard of player (striker especially) but lets not rewrite history to fawn all over the bloke. For me he hasn't proven anything yet, it has always been potential. Now is the time he has to prove it!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Look, I appreciate you're the Lifetime President of the Graham Potter Fanclub, and we're not going to agree on issues.

But you can't argue that it's highly unusual for a manager to quit a club just six games into a new season... and highly unusual to leave one Premier League club for another.

It's a bad way to end a project.

Like I said, though, after Saturday I'm kinda over it...

Gonna park any thoughts about Potter until April 15/16. (Stamford Bridge tie must be nailed on for TV coverage.)
You think Potter will still be there?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I find that 'outsiders' have a very skewed view of Potter at Brighton.

They noticed the wins against the big teams because those results made the headlines, but not the terrible runs, poor results against bottom sides or the fact that we couldn't beat the Nigels from up the road.

When we won, they lauded our amazing passing game. When we lost, people chuckled at our XG vs goals issue, but no-one ever wrote a feature on why Potter's team simply could't break down a defensive team (hence the terrible home form).

Said it before on here. Last season was my middle son's first as a season ticket holder. I very nearly 'lost' him (maybe to live football forever) as he was so bored with the home games. It took the magnificent wins against Man United and West Ham to turn him around. Like 'outsiders', he then forgot about all the insipid stuff that came before.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Mr Potter may need a history lesson!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Good post my old fruit. Our mutual friend's view is that we hit a purple patch back end of last season and the start of this. And that's what Chelsea paid for. Post Potter (apart from Saturday) we have just gone back to the norm.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, and you're rewriting it in the other direction, just the same thing though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Still trying to take credit for how well we played

Attachments

• D0A05807-5E9C-4527-A6B8-2AC249A3D431.jpeg
    D0A05807-5E9C-4527-A6B8-2AC249A3D431.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 61

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This!! Potter is a fabulous coach, and supposedly a very intelligent man. Choosing Chelsea is so high risk as to be almost suicidal on his behalf. His Brighton ‘project’ was halfway through and looking like it might just disrupt the established football order of this country. It’s a season like no other. England will be looking for a new boss. Chelsea’s owners are inexperienced - there’s relegation Todd and NO draft. Their fanbase has helped f*** off Jose, Sarri, Conte, Tuchel… The last of your worries is the reaction of an incredibly loyal fanbase who did stick by you as your refined and defined your approach. Wish you no Ill will; yesterday lanced the boil.
Agreed...but personally I think I too would take a high risk job when the price of any failure would be a few more million in the bank 🤷‍♂️💰. Ego bruised yes, but bank balance fortified.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You're right about marsch, it's a deliberate act.

DeZerbi no, he's a football obsessive. Seems to be generally obsessive in fact. Very passionate and determined, his improvement in English whilst changing the playing style and achieving good performances demonstrates that. He's all in.

It's hard/impossible to hide that. Graham doesn't have that personalty unless he's a complete psycho freak. Graham's low key style and calmness has its merits certainly.

Maybe he'll continue to unravel and start getting looney passionate with the stress and expectation at Chelsea - it will be a sign that all is not well though.
Spot on re de Zerbi I think 👍. Great guy, he's not acting.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Still trying to take credit for how well we played
"That Brighton team you saw out there wasn't here three years ago"

No sh*t Sherlock.

Legends (for me) as Brighton manager in my time

Pat Saward (a bit spoiled by events)
Alan Mullery
Micky Adams (a bit spoiled by events)
Gus Poyet (a lot spoiled by events)
Chris Hughton

And respect to Chris Cattlin

Many other managers have come and gone
Graham Potter was merely one of them

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm amazed Potter didn't just say something like;

"I can understand their reactions, we were in a great place, the team was flying in the top 4, then myself and coaching staff left, as a fan it must have hurt. I have nothing but fond memories of my time there and the fans reaction today won't change that. I hope over time they can reflect that we did a really good job as it's a great club and one I'm grateful to have managed".

Then again, he is a human being and whatever intelligence, Saturday was a humiliating, chastening experience. I'd challenge anyone not to have been riddled with conflicting emotions after that and keeping some kind of control over what was said after.
It’s strange as that’s exactly the kind of thing you could imagine him saying.

However I think the atmosphere (which was also hyped by the media pre match) actually caught him off guard with his actual response driven by emotion as well as the loss in consideration of his new fan base

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think we can attach too much credit at times to our managers. It’s never all their fault or to their credit for the actions of the team. Of course they are important but to my mind the players have just as much responsibility.

This group/team has been together for several years now and players are maturing and improving. None more so than Solly March at 28 just entering his prime years.

Dunk, Veltman and Webster have loads of experience together and Big Bobby gets better with every year.

The whole team are growing together into a band of brothers and are just going to get better whoever the manager is. Wonderful times to be a Brighton fan. Certainly the best that I can remember.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will never criticise how we played under GP, it was a breath of fresh air to this poster. It sure as hell frustrated me quite often but it never bored me.

My gripes have never been about the football and I am over my anger at how it ended. Much the same as I got over Poyet, although that didn't happen as quickly.

We have been left in a good place thanks to TB and his team and also due to Potter and his.

In the unlikely event that GP et al came back at some stage in the future, would I welcome them? Would I f***!! (well maybe Bruno and Roberts I would)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A little patronising eh? It’s really clear to me what the ‘project’ has been under Potter (and now continues under De Zerbi)

Brighton played a very direct and defence style of football under Houghton. Houghton just about kept us up in the first 2 seasons of the PL with this type of play but long term, it wasn’t likely going to keep us up there and we only just survived with 7 points above the relegation zone in 2019/20. Potter came in with a complete opposite style of play and started implementing his plan immediately - more possession based (eg under our last season with Houghton, Brighton were averaging just 44.1% cf to over 50% from Potter’s first season to 54% in his last full season) and Potter also brought more tactical and manoeuvre flexibility on the field with his preferred style of play. The long term ‘project’ for the club once we got promoted and had held on under Houghton for a few seasons was to (is to) sustain a top 10 finish season upon season (and become financially sustainable through an astute recruiting and academy programme among other things). Under Potter, or any manager, it wasn’t going to happen overnight and despite improvements, Brighton was still falling well below xGD but things had started improving considerably in 2021/22 and we finished in 9th on a record 51 points. But one Swallow still does not a summer make and we needed at least to equal or top 9th this season and maybe next, to consolidate ourselves as a top 10 club. We all believed we would get that consolidation under Potter but he left before that would happen. De Zerbi is taking that same project forward. But this ‘project’ is the Club’s (ie TB/PB et al - the personal style preferences of the manager/any manager that the Club appoints will be with that project in mind) and it has a clear objective.
Are you just repeating Houghton instead of Hughton to piss people off? If so, it worked. No idea what you posted.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A little patronising eh? It’s really clear to me what the ‘project’ has been under Potter (and now continues under De Zerbi)

Brighton played a very direct and defence style of football under Houghton. Houghton just about kept us up in the first 2 seasons of the PL with this type of play but long term, it wasn’t likely going to keep us up there and we only just survived with 7 points above the relegation zone in 2019/20. Potter came in with a complete opposite style of play and started implementing his plan immediately - more possession based (eg under our last season with Houghton, Brighton were averaging just 44.1% cf to over 50% from Potter’s first season to 54% in his last full season) and Potter also brought more tactical and manoeuvre flexibility on the field with his preferred style of play. The long term ‘project’ for the club once we got promoted and had held on under Houghton for a few seasons was to (is to) sustain a top 10 finish season upon season (and become financially sustainable through an astute recruiting and academy programme among other things). Under Potter, or any manager, it wasn’t going to happen overnight and despite improvements, Brighton was still falling well below xGD but things had started improving considerably in 2021/22 and we finished in 9th on a record 51 points. But one Swallow still does not a summer make and we needed at least to equal or top 9th this season and maybe next, to consolidate ourselves as a top 10 club. We all believed we would get that consolidation under Potter but he left before that would happen. De Zerbi is taking that same project forward. But this ‘project’ is the Club’s (ie TB/PB et al - the personal style preferences of the manager/any manager that the Club appoints will be with that project in mind) and it has a clear objective.
Okay, to me it is really clear that "projects" don't work like that and that the Premier League also does not work like that.

Running a football club is a never-ending project, Brighton and at least 91 other clubs are always trying to improve and get better - the "project" never ends.

Three seasons in the top 10 does not consolidate a club as a top 10 club. Southampton ended up in the top 10 four seasons in a row and I don't think a goddamn soul thought "yeah they'll always be up there, proper top 10 club".

One swallow does not a summer make, four swallows does not a summer make. If you want to be in the "perceived top 10 club" camp, you have to either show financial muscles that makes people realise you'll be there - like Newcastle - or you have to actually reach those positions - with good margin - for at least a decade or so.

When fans, pundits and the likes predict the PL, you're going to find six clubs in pretty much every single prediction: City, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool. You can probably add Newcastle to that collection, going forward. Everyone else is "sometimes maybe top 10, sometimes maybe not". If the end of the project is Brighton being considered a force similar to Manchester City, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool... Graham Potter, and now Roberto De Zerbi, would have to stick around for another 10-20 years not to "leave the project 'halfway' through".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I will never criticise how we played under GP, it was a breath of fresh air to this poster. It sure as hell frustrated me quite often but it never bored me.

My gripes have never been about the football and I am over my anger at how it ended. Much the same as I got over Poyet, although that didn't happen as quickly.

We have been left in a good place thanks to TB and his team and also due to Potter and his.

In the unlikely event that GP et al came back at some stage in the future, would I welcome them? Would I f***!! (well maybe Bruno and Roberts I would)
Easy to say now, isn't it? Just like it was easy for you to say in the summer that you would not hold it against GP if he left the club for a top one if TB / PB told him "ees complicated" about the transfer window.

If in ten years or so a season would go shite - which does happen to nearly ever club at some point or another - and the team got relegated into the Championship, while a certain Graham Potter was currently out of a job after leaving FC Barcelona with five Champions League-titles, don't you think you'd at least consider that bringing him in would be quite welcome..?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here