Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Most of his home games were frustrating, desperately trying to get the ball in the net which gradually wore us all down, when we actually did manage it against united, Leicester and west ham the atmosphere was great.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Stuck with" would only make sense here if Bloom somehow deprived Potter of funds or players, which wasn't the case.

Let's not pretend that Potter - a manager with Swansea and Ostersund on his CV - was made to "suffer" (one of his favourite words) at Brighton & Hove Albion.

The recruitment team lined-up a succession of quality talent. A team so good at their job, in the fact, that Chelsea are nabbing them.

Also your "2.5 years" is knowingly selective. Sure, we made big profit on White and Cucurella, and a relatively modest one on Bissouma.

But Bloom spent a fortune on assembling the squad Potter inheritied.
Tony Bloom and Graham Potter did a lot of good for each other.

TB didn't keep Graham because of some kind of loyalty or favour but because GP was giving him what he wanted. And GP, who could very likely have got a job at a somewhat bigger and wealthier club already a year ago, stayed because TB gave him what he wanted. Due to unforseen circumstances (Covid) they both had to take and give a little extra, but ultimately it was a mutual thing: otherwise TB would have sacked GP, or GP would have left Brighton.

Good recruitment is not a guarantee to stay up and not a guarantee that the players will develop as hoped.

Brighton is a charity off-the-pitch. You like to slap your chest claiming you pay the wages of the players. In reality, Tony Bloom is paying £50m+ a year, money he is unlikely to ever get back, for you to have a football team to watch in the Premier League.

On the pitch, its not a charity however. TB didn't hire Poyet, Hughton, Potter etc. as favours but because he thought the club would gain from it. It did - these managers repaid the faith shown in them. And when they've taken the teams as far as they can, Bloom has sacked them. Business, not one person making massive sacrifices for another.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The players were indeed brought in by the recruitment team. While it may be a strange coincidence that everywhere GP has been, previously unknown or raw players have developed postively over time, I'm inclinced to believe he played a part in it.

In Östersund, the club signed players for less than £1m and under GPs reign sold players for more than £10m.
In Swansea, the club signed players for about £8m and sold players for about £50m (excluding the ca £50m sales at the pre-season of his reign)
In Brighton, the club signed players for about £188m and sold players for around £200m... while improving results in the PL.

At some point it stops being a coincidence.
He's been brilliant at developing players, no one is challenging that. Your reference to him not being backed is odd in the extreme. He left Swansea because he was sold a pup, lost players he didn't believe would go and was forced to throw youth players in. That worked to such an extent that they were then sold for big fees, despite not being great players.

He didn't leave Brighton for not being backed, he left for more money and to compete at the top of the premier league and in the champions league.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

TB didn't keep Graham because of some kind of loyalty or favour but because GP was giving him what he wanted. And GP, who could very likely have got a job at a somewhat bigger and wealthier club already a year ago, stayed because TB gave him what he wanted. Due to unforseen circumstances (Covid) they both had to take and give a little extra, but ultimately it was a mutual thing: otherwise TB would have sacked GP, or GP would have left Brighton.

Good recruitment is not a guarantee to stay up and not a guarantee that the players will develop as hoped.

Brighton is a charity off-the-pitch. You like to slap your chest claiming you pay the wages of the players. In reality, Tony Bloom is paying £50m+ a year, money he is unlikely to ever get back, for you to have a football team to watch in the Premier League.

On the pitch, its not a charity however. TB didn't hire Poyet, Hughton, Potter etc. as favours but because he thought the club would gain from it. It did - these managers repaid the faith shown in them. And when they've taken the teams as far as they can, Bloom has sacked them. Business, not one person making massive sacrifices for another.
Absolutely - Potter did very well out of Brighton, Brighton did very well out of Potter.

Not that you'd think that from his comments post-match though. It's unusual for managers to behave just like fans, especially the calm and professional types like Potter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's been brilliant at developing players, no one is challenging that. Your reference to him not being backed is odd in the extreme. He left Swansea because he was sold a pup, lost players he didn't believe would go and was forced to throw youth players in. That worked to such an extent that they were then sold for big fees, despite not being great players.

He didn't leave Brighton for not being backed, he left for more money and to compete at the top of the premier league and in the champions league.
Absolutely, no doubt that he left due to personal and professional greed.

Still, the retrospective idea that TB was doing him some kind of megaservice by not sacking him just isn't true. They were doing good things for each other: GP operated on a comparatively small budget, and TB accepted results were not always great.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Absolutely - Potter did very well out of Brighton, Brighton did very well out of Potter.

Not that you'd think that from his comments post-match though. It's unusual for managers to behave just like fans, especially the calm and professional types like Potter.
Say the expected media-trained shite and he'll be cold and robotic, "behave like a fan" and he's evil and calculating.

There is nothing he could have said that wouldn't make people twist the words in the direction they want.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
TB didn't keep Graham because of some kind of loyalty or favour but because GP was giving him what he wanted.
Tony Bloom gave Potter a six-year contract. You know, IN ADVANCE.

If Potter thought that the project was done, that he couldn't take the club any further and that he wasn't being backed, he COULD have left in the summer.

But, no, the Brighton & Hove Albion project was done - solely on Potter's terms - when Chelsea came in with wheelbarrows full of money.

Funnily enough, though, I'm less bothered now. We've moved on...

FgYpOFSWIAYlqkQ.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd say he is paying £50m+ a year for HIM to have a team to watch in the Premier League. We happen to be the fortunate beneficiaries, and most of us are very happy indeed to play our part in a small way by buying season tickets and providing a (generally) enthusiastic backdrop in the form of a sold-out (ahem) Amex every game. His philanthropy in many areas is well known but in the case of the Albion, charity begins at home. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Because I don't want to. Like I've said 10 times or something. Go to the f***ing Shed End yourself, I'm not interested.
I think you don't want to because they'd just tell you to f*** off.

People engage with you here and you repay them by being all salty and trying to troll people when we've just had one of the best weekends ever at the Amex.

You're starting to hang round like a bad smell.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tony Bloom gave Potter a six-year contract. You know, IN ADVANCE.

If Potter thought that the project was done, that he couldn't take the club any further and that he wasn't being backed, he COULD have left in the summer.

But, no, the Brighton & Hove Albion project was done - solely on Potter's terms - when Chelsea came in with wheelbarrows full of money.

Funnily enough, though, I'm less bothered now. We've moved on...

View attachment 153269
Yes he got a six-year contract with one of the highest buyout clauses and lowest wages in the PL. Because he thought it was good for Brighton. Not as some kind of charity thing.

"The project" is never done. I can't understand that I have to explain this, but football is a continuous thing. It doesn't really start or end, it keeps going. The only way "a project can be finished" is if football ends or if the club dissolves.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you don't want to because they'd just tell you to f*** off.

People engage with you here and you repay them by being all salty and trying to troll people when we've just had one of the best weekends ever at the Amex.

You're starting to hang round like a bad smell.
Interesting theory. Certainly never experienced anyone telling me to f*** off here, so you're probably right that I have a big fear against experiencing such a thing.

As for you last sentence, you don't like me and I don't like you and this is nothing new.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

I heard that Sheffield United might shortly be sold for around £175m, so so if Tony really wanted his money back, I'm sure that there is a Yank/Arab/Chinese billionaire that would be happy to pay say £500m for an established premier leauge club with a decent modern ground and fine training facilities so there would be minimal infrastucture costs. As fans, we would hate it if Tony sold out, but given where the club is now, it would be pretty easy for Tony to get his money back, and a fat premium on top.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I heard that Sheffield United might shortly be sold for around £175m, so so if Tony really wanted his money back, I'm sure that there is a Yank/Arab/Chinese billionaire that would be happy to pay say £500m for an established premier leauge club with a decent modern ground and fine training facilities so there would be minimal infrastucture costs. As fans, we would hate it if Tony sold out, but given where the club is now, it would be pretty easy for Tony to get his money back, and a fat premium on top.
The only way he could get his money back is likely to sell, yes.

Unless he finds himself in a financially difficult situation for one reason or another I just struggle to see it happening though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only way he could get his money back is likely to sell, yes.

Unless he finds himself in a financially difficult situation for one reason or another I just struggle to see it happening though.
I wonder if he'd feel the need to apologise to his son :wink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder if he'd feel the need to apologise to his son :wink:
Probably not. You don't make billions by making apologies.

I think Tony Bloom is a lot of the things you don't accept that Potter, Bruno etc. are.

You think Chris Hughton felt backstabbed when he was sacked after keeping the team in the PL? You think Dick Knight really thought it was entirely fair and justified that he would miss out on the most hyped game of the season because he said "I'm the president of this f***ing club"?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The players were indeed brought in by the recruitment team. While it may be a strange coincidence that everywhere GP has been, previously unknown or raw players have developed postively over time, I'm inclinced to believe he played a part in it.

In Östersund, the club signed players for less than £1m and under GPs reign sold players for more than £10m.
In Swansea, the club signed players for about £8m and sold players for about £50m (excluding the ca £50m sales at the pre-season of his reign)
In Brighton, the club signed players for about £188m and sold players for around £200m... while improving results in the PL.

At some point it stops being a coincidence.
Biss and ben white were at the club before potter joined.

As for the examples above. Otsersund I can understand but he was only at Swansea for a season ……

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Biss and ben white were at the club before potter joined.

As for the examples above. Otsersund I can understand but he was only at Swansea for a season ……
Yes they were. Bossing the PL every week huh...

Yeah, he was at Swansea for one season, introduced 10+ players with limited or no senior football experience who were subsequently sold for a lot of money. Dan James for example could barely get into the Macclesfield matchday squad the season before GP came to Swansea, a year later he was sold to Manchester United. One season might not be enough for you to make conclusions, but it was enough for Tony Bloom.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Yes they were. Bossing the PL every week huh...

Yeah, he was at Swansea for one season, introduced 10+ players with limited or no senior football experience who were subsequently sold for a lot of money. Dan James for example could barely get into the Macclesfield matchday squad the season before GP came to Swansea, a year later he was sold to Manchester United. One season might not be enough for you to make conclusions, but it was enough for Tony Bloom.
you miss the point. biss and Ben weren’t at BHAFC because of potter though quite correctly he brought them on however Ben White was tearing up the championship before he ever played for us.

No one has said he was crap. If we thought that then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. However you appear to believe that we should all get down on our knees and worship the ground he walked on and that he was BHAFC.

Does potter have a restraining order against you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here