Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
you miss the point. biss and Ben weren’t at BHAFC because of potter though quite correctly he brought them on however Ben White was tearing up the championship before he ever played for us.

No one has said he was crap. If we thought that then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. However you appear to believe that we should all get down on our knees and worship the ground he walked on and that he was BHAFC.

Does potter have a restraining order against you?
You could add that improving players and out position was his job ..for which he got paid for ..and it improved his profile 1000%

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
you miss the point. biss and Ben weren’t at BHAFC because of potter though quite correctly he brought them on however Ben White was tearing up the championship before he ever played for us.

No one has said he was crap. If we thought that then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. However you appear to believe that we should all get down on our knees and worship the ground he walked on and that he was BHAFC.

Does potter have a restraining order against you?
No one said Biss and BW were at Brighton because of GP so whatever your point is, its pretty easy to miss it.

Nope, I don't think you should get on your knees and worship the ground :shrug:

And no, Potter does not have a restraining order against me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just listened to TS …Souness as usual criticising Brighton (this time the fans) begrudgingly accepting the 4/1 tonking but stressing that their were two own goals etc

SJ on the other hand the opposite ..when JW criticised our fans (after drooling over his visit to Newcastle) actually was more measured and understood the emotion and tribalism of football and it’s fans ..accepting that it’s part n parcel of the game!

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No one said Biss and BW were at Brighton because of GP so whatever your point is, its pretty easy to miss it.

Nope, I don't think you should get on your knees and worship the ground :shrug:

And no, Potter does not have a restraining order against me.
The point is that we provided very promising players for him to work with, he’d didn’t bring them with him, which has been pointed out, was his job. who knew.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The point is that we provided very promising players for him to work with, he’d didn’t bring them with him, which has been pointed out, was his job. who knew.
Ok.... hmm.

Nah, still not really getting the point. He had players with good potential and helped them fulfill it. Not sure we're disagreeing here?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes he got a six-year contract with one of the highest buyout clauses and lowest wages in the PL. Because he thought it was good for Brighton. Not as some kind of charity thing.

"The project" is never done. I can't understand that I have to explain this, but football is a continuous thing. It doesn't really start or end, it keeps going. The only way "a project can be finished" is if football ends or if the club dissolves.
Look, I appreciate you're the Lifetime President of the Graham Potter Fanclub, and we're not going to agree on issues.

But you can't argue that it's highly unusual for a manager to quit a club just six games into a new season... and highly unusual to leave one Premier League club for another.

It's a bad way to end a project.

Like I said, though, after Saturday I'm kinda over it...

Gonna park any thoughts about Potter until April 15/16. (Stamford Bridge tie must be nailed on for TV coverage.)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Look, I appreciate you're the Lifetime President of the Graham Potter Fanclub, and we're not going to agree on issues.

But you can't argue that it's highly unusual for a manager to quit a club just six games into a new season... and highly unusual to leave one Premier League club for another.

It's a bad way to end a project.

Like I said, though, after Saturday I'm kinda over it...
Yes I can agree with that. I'd say its just about exactly as unusual as a top 6 club offering the job to another PL manager after six games.

No project has ended. You could maybe say there was a change of project manager but as far as I've seen the club is still up and running and the team is continuing to get stronger with no signs of stopping. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm starting to think a lot of people get annoyed with @Swansman because deep down they know he talks logical sense, but actually, logical sense doesn't really come into being a football fan.

I think I may have listened to Talksport at the same time as @LamieRobertson who had a very good Brighton fan caller in today who seemed to be able to balance gratitude for what Potter achieved here, but also that need to express annoyance that any kind of success a smaller club can have can be just taken at the drop of a hat by the bigger fish. But there was a careful balance of it not being a vilification of the individual, but the larger picture of how football operates.

The timing of Chelsea's approach has what has killed Potter's legacy with us, and that is a shame because that isn't Potter's or our fault. Chelsea throwing the cash to try to buy an entire setup isn't Potter's fault either, but that is how football is - that looks good, I want all that, how much?

Do we take it lying down? No, but while we expressed our annoyance on Saturday, regardless it was the players who taught Chelsea a lesson, the atmosphere was a bonus.

For all those who believe the atmosphere was the thing that won it – why on earth don't we do it more often then if it wins us games?? Blimey, we'd be like a new signing. I'm sure with our new found powers Aston Villa on a Sunday at 2pm should be a walk in the park.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
FFS why is this so difficult for people to understand.

We are now, we always have been, we always will be...

A REACTIVE CROWD.

Give us something to react too and we are phenomenal.
Kill is with a thousand passes leading to a missed shot and we will do, say and sing nothing.
We were pretty dreadful at home under Potter as well over the full three years. Paired with Covid, it's hardly a recipe for a great atmosphere.

Being an away fan under Potter was the complete opposite however.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
‘ a lot of money in the bank’ From the MOTD interview ,So why are we borrowing on future tv revenue ?
Because it is common practice in the Premier League.

I think the real issue with that comment is more that he thinks fans should be pleased that he developed and then sold some of the best players we've ever had so now we can see them play for Spurs and Chelsea. I know fans understand why that is good for the club but you'd have to be pretty obtuse to think that losing players, regardless of fee, is pleasurable for fans.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Say the expected media-trained shite and he'll be cold and robotic, "behave like a fan" and he's evil and calculating.

There is nothing he could have said that wouldn't make people twist the words in the direction they want.
There's not being able to say something without some criticism, and there's making yourself look like a childish prick. It's so odd that he chose the latter. Or was he so rattled that he lost control. Either way, not a good look.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm starting to think a lot of people get annoyed with @Swansman because deep down they know he talks logical sense, but actually, logical sense doesn't really come into being a football fan.

I think I may have listened to Talksport at the same time as @LamieRobertson who had a very good Brighton fan caller in today who seemed to be able to balance gratitude for what Potter achieved here, but also that need to express annoyance that any kind of success a smaller club can have can be just taken at the drop of a hat by the bigger fish. But there was a careful balance of it not being a vilification of the individual, but the larger picture of how football operates.

The timing of Chelsea's approach has what has killed Potter's legacy with us, and that is a shame because that isn't Potter's or our fault. Chelsea throwing the cash to try to buy an entire setup isn't Potter's fault either, but that is how football is - that looks good, I want all that, how much?

Do we take it lying down? No, but while we expressed our annoyance on Saturday, regardless it was the players who taught Chelsea a lesson, the atmosphere was a bonus.

For all those who believe the atmosphere was the thing that won it – why on earth don't we do it more often then if it wins us games?? Blimey, we'd be like a new signing. I'm sure with our new found powers Aston Villa on a Sunday at 2pm should be a walk in the park.
As regards to Swannie I totally agree and i think he misses that point that being a football fan is not all about logic and until he commits himself to a club ..goes to matches ..feels the emotions..the ups and downs, then it won’t change

Re the crowd well Roberto did award us ‘man’ of the match

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's not being able to say something without some criticism, and there's making yourself look like a childish prick. It's so odd that he chose the latter. Or was he so rattled that he lost control. Either way, not a good look.
I'm amazed Potter didn't just say something like;

"I can understand their reactions, we were in a great place, the team was flying in the top 4, then myself and coaching staff left, as a fan it must have hurt. I have nothing but fond memories of my time there and the fans reaction today won't change that. I hope over time they can reflect that we did a really good job as it's a great club and one I'm grateful to have managed".

Then again, he is a human being and whatever intelligence, Saturday was a humiliating, chastening experience. I'd challenge anyone not to have been riddled with conflicting emotions after that and keeping some kind of control over what was said after.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As regards to Swannie I totally agree and i think he misses that point that being a football is not all about logic and until he commits himself to a club ..goes to matches ..feels the emotions..the ups and downs, then it won’t change

Re the crowd well Roberto did award us ‘man’ of the match
I suspect he did given we didn't turn up for Forest.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst I enjoyed all the booing at the weekend, and the lovely win, and Potter sounding a bit like Pep does in interview when he loses, I do think you may be reading a little too much into this. Armchair psychology can be fun but I'm not sure it's terribly predictive. I don't think that Potter (or anyone else, aside from those who have suddenly taken an interest in class A drugs) would turn from the messiah to a very naughty boy overnight.

It is interesting how much he's rubbed the 'Shed End' board up the wrong way, though. If you add in several bucket loads of extra entitlement, they sound like the likes of oneilco, bw3 and junior did a year ago on NSC :lolol:

My final comment on our former manager (till he gets the boot/England job): I still think that Potter has the demeanour of someone who bullies would like to punch. A bit like Southgate. The sucking of air through the teeth, etc. The beard(s) help, but humans are mostly cruel and simple folk who like their 'leaders' to appear 'strong'. Like Bob 'f***ing focus!' De Zerbz :lolol:
If you had to have Roberto or Gwayam as one of the 7 . . .
Almost like it was a mutually beneficial arrangement bought on by mutual success.
Yes, but Without a mutual ending. It is possible to move on without pissing off tens of thousands including the hand that fed and to an extent nurtured.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just listened to TS …Souness as usual criticising Brighton (this time the fans) begrudgingly accepting the 4/1 tonking but stressing that their were two own goals etc

SJ on the other hand the opposite ..when JW criticised our fans (after drooling over his visit to Newcastle) actually was more measured and understood the emotion and tribalism of football and it’s fans ..accepting that it’s part n parcel of the game!
Well here is the clip…SJ describes events nicely in my opinion ….GS :facepalm:

I was a big supporter of GP and grateful for what he did ..but “near faultless three years”…u r having a laugh

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm amazed Potter didn't just say something like;

"I can understand their reactions, we were in a great place, the team was flying in the top 4, then myself and coaching staff left, as a fan it must have hurt. I have nothing but fond memories of my time there and the fans reaction today won't change that. I hope over time they can reflect that we did a really good job as it's a great club and one I'm grateful to have managed".

Then again, he is a human being and whatever intelligence, Saturday was a humiliating, chastening experience. I'd challenge anyone not to have been riddled with conflicting emotions after that and keeping some kind of control over what was said after.
One word

Emotion.

I'm not very emotional, and shut up shop easily . . . but I nearly cried When Gross scored to nail the pre sealed deal into the ground, and match of the day PM, AM, and even reading the paper. . . I'm still proud as punch as I type

GP, Swanny etc wil never feel that.

Their loss.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well here is the clip…SJ describes events nicely in my opinion ….GS :facepalm:

I was a big supporter of GP and grateful for what he did ..but “near faultless three years”…u r having a laugh

It was near faultless because he kept little old Brighton in their place, 16th or so, playing "nice" football that needed to be defensive to succeed and giving media like Talksport and Sky days of media coverage when the side that couldn't beat Burnley or Sheffield United at home suddenly played well at a "proper" club like Liverpool.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One word

Emotion.

I'm not very emotional, and shut up shop easily . . . but I nearly cried When Gross scored to nail the pre sealed deal into the ground, and match of the day PM, AM, and even reading the paper. . . I'm still proud as punch as I type

GP, Swanny etc wil never feel that.

Their loss.
I've felt similar things but obviously not with Brighton. I've cheered and screamed while watching Brighton but obviously it's not the same thing as when I watch Lunds FF score the winning goal against Lunds SK in the dying minutes.

Sure, supporting a Swedish 7th tier side perhaps doesn't come with all the fancy-schmancyness of supporting a team in the Oil League, but hey, everyone is going to lose out on something; I won't celebrate wins in a 30k stadium, and you won't sleep with Swedish women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here