Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Attitude - Ali J

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, are you saying that Hughton and/or Potter should have played Ali J much earlier, and it was poor management by Hughton and/or Potter to have left him languishing for so long?
I'm saying what I've always said, I don't have to change my story to fit the narrative.

It's hard to come into a new country, team manager league and be an instant success.

CH never played him to his strengths, always preferring AK.

He is a footballer and deserved a clean slate back in August.

I have no idea why it's taken so long to get here, I thought he was offski.

But I'm bloody pleased he stuck it out and personally I'm pleased I didn't resort to cheap shots about an Albion player.

I'll say again, as great as his goal is I still prefer his pass to Maupay.
I was getting so frustrated about our balls into the box against 2 lumbering centre backs.
I sit almost behind Ali for that pass and the skill and precision that went into that ball was excellent and had been completely missing until that point.

That's a footballer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
1. Without wasting time going back to my previous posts to get specific quotes, I'd said he didn't seem very good. That's because he'd not been very good.

2. I also said, many times, I wanted him to be good because the Albion spending c£15m on flops isn't in my best interest as an Albion fan.

3. He's now put in two very decent shifts, scoring one of the best Albion goals I've ever seen, and I couldn't be more delighted.

Wasn’t having a pop, just had noticed you uncharacteristically going in hard on him. Don’t get me wrong, the jury is still out on him - we need consistency now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm saying what I've always said, I don't have to change my story to fit the narrative.

It's hard to come into a new country, team manager league and be an instant success.

CH never played him to his strengths, always preferring AK.

He is a footballer and deserved a clean slate back in August.

I have no idea why it's taken so long to get here, I thought he was offski.

But I'm bloody pleased he stuck it out and personally I'm pleased I didn't resort to cheap shots about an Albion player.

I was getting so frustrated about our balls into the box against 2 lumbering centre backs.
I sit almost behind Ali for that pass and the skill and precision that went into that ball was excellent and had been completely missing until that point.

That's a footballer.

ALL OF US get things wrong or judge too early. Incredibly there were NSC’ers who thought that Locadia was PL quality, held back by CH. Thankfully the fresh professional perspective of GP swiftly dealt with that issue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You think Potter didn't give him one?

(Appreciate you taking time out from your lofty position up there, to share your opinions with us BTW)

Potter obviously did, but many many posters on NSC didn't.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Oh so it's ok for [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] & [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] to be mocked and derided every week for saying 'he deserves a chance', but it's not ok to tell the Two- Faced Tina's to shove it when Ali proves them right.

The thing is, I'm with you most of the time when it comes to standing up against the casual scapegoating that goes on after any negative result. But on this occasion I just think this was such a lovely moment for AJ and the Albion that we should all be celebrating and applauding it together, without causing the thread to degenerate into a childish squabble-fest.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The thing is, I'm with you most of the time when it comes to standing up against the casual scapegoating that goes on after any negative result. But on this occasion I just think this was such a lovely moment for AJ and the Albion that we should all be celebrating and applauding it together, without causing the thread to degenerate into a childish squabble-fest.
Agreed. Although you know that's not going to happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ALL OF US get things wrong or judge too early. Incredibly there were NSC’ers who thought that Locadia was PL quality, held back by CH. Thankfully the fresh professional perspective of GP swiftly dealt with that issue.
That would be me, I loved Big Jurg and was amazed when he was offloaded, esp after his preseason.

I was loud wrong on him and as I keep saying I'm not particularly right on Ali J as I was hardly his #1 supporter.
I just always felt he was better than many on here were saying and defended him as an Albion player and defending the process that bought him here, against what I felt was unfair criticism.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That would be me, I loved Big Jurg and was amazed when he was offloaded, esp after his preseason.

I was loud wrong on him and as I keep saying I'm not particularly right on Ali J as I was hardly his #1 supporter.
I just always felt he was better than many on here were saying and defended him as an Albion player and defending the process that bought him here, against what I felt was unfair criticism.

Fair comment.

I’ve always defended Muzza (sorry) and Stephens, when the ungrateful/amnesic bitchy comments pile in. Always will.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which we all did, another cracking round of his chant in the stadium.

I just don't have a problem in calling out the negativity that's rife through here, whether it be specific players, games or against the club itself, even if I'm also being 2-faced about it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair comment.

I’ve always defended Muzza (sorry) and Stephens, when the ungrateful/amnesic bitchy comments pile in. Always will.

I haven't been so pure about Muzza esp this last off-season.
So I'm hardly whiter than white on this subject.

But even then the odds were reversed, great swathes of NSC were mocking me, for saying 'he's done'.
Just as a large amount of posters were driving Ali anywhere throwing in attacks along the way.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

That's a footballer.

Excellent point there. Until AJ came on we kept lumping balls into the box for Rudiger and Zouma to easily bat away, much like we saw Dunk and Duffy do so often last season. It was getting increasingly frustrating that we seemingly weren't learning from the experience until finally AJ comes on and with his chance to cross recognises what hasn't worked and instead tries something different, and much much smarter. It was a superb ball and caught Chelsea off guard. Deserved a goal at the end of it

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
am I the only one who's slightly concerned about the current vacant scapegoat position which Ali J was once so effective in filling?

And rightly so because he has been pants........ Now though..... he’s doing some good stuff. Long may it continue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m enjoying the “not even a footballer” Mods squirming rather than holding their hands up and admitting they were just maybe a little harsh on on a player who really did not get a chance. Certainly under “you need to be a defender first” Hughton and once Potterball gave him a chance he took it.

WHAT a goal AJ :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here