Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off Final - Girlfriend not letting me go

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I tell you what Aseros, you toddle off the the Play off final and I'll ask my mate Big Winston to 'look after' your girlfriend for you? Once she's spent some time with a real man she won't want you back and its job done all round - happy days.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
dude, have some balls. me and my missus are moving country too. But not until the END of the season!

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
20,000 households across Sussex have had the conversation "If Brighton are there, then I'll be there".

1 household (OP) has had a different conversation.

Simples to work out what to do.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
f*** me mate, get a grip, 1, grow some f***ing balls and take 2 stop being a bitch about it on here. No one gives a f***.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I was due to be at the wedding of my then girlfriend's (now my wife) best friend in the arse end of Wales on the day Grimsby were due to travel to Burton Albion in a game which would decide if our 100 year league status would come to an end. The date, 8th May 2010, hadn't meant anything to me when we were originally invited about 8 months earlier, but as the day approached I realised that it had huge significance.

I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail. She was having absolutely none of it. This day had been planned for months, and no way was I going to leave her on her own at her best mate's wedding in some obscure Welsh village.

And so we traveled to Pembrokeshire on the Friday night; she sat beside me in the car looking smug that she'd won the argument. We got to the B&B, had something to eat and went to bed, ready to attend the wedding in the morning. Almost.

I got up early at about 7:00am, and mentioned to my half-asleep girlfriend that I was just nipping out in the car to get a paper as I couldn't sleep. I promptly returned at about 11:00pm, some fourteen hours later, making a sheepish appearance at the night do, having watched Town get relegated from the football league in Burton-on-Trent sandwiched in between a 5 hour drive either side (slightly longer on the way back in fact, due to a shock-induced detour via Watford Gap).

That weekend I managed to witness my football team get relegated out of the football league, spend the best part of £200 on petrol, almost end a long-term relationship with my now wife and signed myself up for weeks-upon-weeks of shít at the hands of my missus. Seriously, the severity of the shit was in when I got back ranks as one of the least enjoyable moments of my life. Do I regret any of it? Not a jot - but I don't think I'd ever have got over not being at possibly the most significant match in my club's history. My missus got over it, yours will too.

Clubs like Brighton don't get promoted to the top flight of English football very often. If it comes down to it, get yourself there at all costs. You'll regret it forever if you don't.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm in the 'grow a pair' camp. I live overseas but would never let my bird tell me what to do regarding anything. Works both ways mind.

Made the mistake of booking the Eurostar back last May(booked last March after the Pompey, Vicente win) anticipating a Wembley Play Off final. Ended up watching West Ham v Watford and Bayern v Chelsea in a couple of Brighton boozers instead. Well, second time lucky hopefully :banana:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I was due to be at the wedding of my then girlfriend's (now my wife) best friend in the arse end of Wales on the day Grimsby were due to travel to Burton Albion in a game which would decide if our 100 year league status would come to an end. The date, 8th May 2010, hadn't meant anything to me when we were originally invited about 8 months earlier, but as the day approached I realised that it had huge significance.

I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail. She was having absolutely none of it. This day had been planned for months, and no way was I going to leave her on her own at her best mate's wedding in some obscure Welsh village.

And so we traveled to Pembrokeshire on the Friday night; she sat beside me in the car looking smug that she'd won the argument. We got to the B&B, had something to eat and went to bed, ready to attend the wedding in the morning. Almost.

I got up early at about 7:00am, and mentioned to my half-asleep girlfriend that I was just nipping out in the car to get a paper as I couldn't sleep. I promptly returned at about 11:00pm, some fourteen hours later, making a sheepish appearance at the night do, having watched Town get relegated from the football league in Burton-on-Trent sandwiched in between a 5 hour drive either side (slightly longer on the way back in fact, due to a shock-induced detour via Watford Gap).

That weekend I managed to witness my football team get relegated out of the football league, spend the best part of £200 on petrol, almost end a long-term relationship with my now wife and signed myself up for weeks-upon-weeks of shít at the hands of my missus. Seriously, the severity of the shit was in when I got back ranks as one of the least enjoyable moments of my life. Do I regret any of it? Not a jot - but I don't think I'd ever have got over not being at possibly the most significant match in my club's history. My missus got over it, yours will too.

Clubs like Brighton don't get promoted to the top flight of English football very often. If it comes down to it, get yourself there at all costs. You'll regret it forever if you don't.

You Sir make me proud to be a football fan and a Man! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr lets do some heavy weights!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Hello,

I shall be in another country during the play-off final. Now, if we get there my girlfriend is adamant I can't go. Actually quite aggressive that I can't go at all as it is "nothing more than men kicking one ball around", what should I do, short of ditching her?

Put it this way:

You met her and she knew from day one you were an avid Brighton and Hove Albion fan.

That should answer your question. See you at Wembley!!! :wave:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
another thought on this: if you give in to her, she'll think that you must be punching above your weight to give up something so important. Even if you are punching above your weight, don't let her think that.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Put it this way:

You met her and she knew from day one you were an avid Brighton and Hove Albion fan.

That should answer your question. See you at Wembley!!! :wave:

Yeah, she knew that. I tried to get her into the game by buying her a shirt/scarf/hat and watching the Watford and Newcastle game stream. She had none of it *sigh* the only chance I have of going is if I can take her cousin, but I am afraid she won't be happy with me spending a couple of days alone with her female cousin in London.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
You wouldn't enjoy it - the place would be full of people standing up during the game.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
I'm also in the "grow some" camp but I'd be interested to know her reasons for not "letting" him go? Who knows, they could actually be justified. (I'm also dying to know where this other country is.) Anyway, you'll all be glad to know that my own other half has my permission to go to Bristol on Tuesday :wink:

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
You wouldn't enjoy it - the place would be full of people standing up during the game.

I never said I was against standing up. I said people should complain if ejected as it is against the regulations. The stewards are just doing their job ;)

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
I'm also in the "grow some" camp but I'd be interested to know her reasons for not "letting" him go? Who knows, they could actually be justified. (I'm also dying to know where this other country is.) Anyway, you'll all be glad to know that my own other half has my permission to go to Bristol on Tuesday :wink:

As we have spent about 4 months apart now due to various issues (her work) and I am returning to her, it would be 2 months after returning to her and she doesn't want me to 'leave' her again. She also has something special planned for the 30th and she wants me to be back on time. She also complained that I ditched her on Valentines Day last year for Millwall. It is Norway.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place

Top post.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
As we have spent about 4 months apart now due to various issues (her work) and I am returning to her, it would be 2 months after returning to her and she doesn't want me to 'leave' her again. She also has something special planned for the 30th and she wants me to be back on time. She also complained that I ditched her on Valentines Day last year for Millwall. It is Norway.

Good luck with the move and everything. I love Scandinavia and they'll probably have a better summer in Norway than we will. Getting back on track, surely you could make it a flying visit - fly over on the Sunday night or even early on the Monday morning and home by Tuesday in plenty of time for the 30th... It could be worse - at least you haven't got the Mothers Day/Palace quandrary!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here