Play off Final - Girlfriend not letting me go

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
After 32 years of marriage I've worked out that I can get away with anything as long as I put it on the calendar in advance. The Missus just wants to know how much food to buy. I've already got all the Sussex cricket fixtures on the calendar.
If you don't assert yourself now you have many years of resentment ahead of you and your marriage will eventually fail.

Snap! Exactly what I do. If it's on the calendar no argument. See you at the cricket.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
I'm sure we can come to some arrangement regarding the female cousin-you take her to the football and one of us will be her um, 'chaperone' for the remainder of the 2 days. Problem solved.

Sadly her cousin doesn't speak English! :eek: plus she is only 19, don't want her wandering around with strange men on her own! :eek:

Nonetheless, she has agreed I can go providing I am away from the 26th to the 29th ONLY. If my flight is delayed then I am not allowed back home (any longer than 8 hours) and she finished with these words "You can go, but please bear in mind that I will be disappointed when you leave me since we don't spend enough time together as it is" so that's settled, she can be disappointed and I can go back to England.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sadly her cousin doesn't speak English! :eek: plus she is only 19, don't want her wandering around with strange men on her own! :eek:

Nonetheless, she has agreed I can go providing I am away from the 26th to the 29th ONLY. If my flight is delayed then I am not allowed back home (any longer than 8 hours) and she finished with these words "You can go, but please bear in mind that I will be disappointed when you leave me since we don't spend enough time together as it is" so that's settled, she can be disappointed and I can go back to England.

So you score a win on the football front, but it's still a massive fail on the relationship front. You are a fully grown and, I assume, financially independent adult and have had to get permission off of your missis to come back to England for 3 short days. She'll expect something back in return for the massive 'favour' that she's done you.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006

Wow. Just wow. The bit about the flight being delayed is truly pathetic. Surely she can't stop you from coming home if through no fault of your own you are delayed? Unbelievable!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Wow. Just wow. The bit about the flight being delayed is truly pathetic. Surely she can't stop you from coming home if through no fault of your own you are delayed? Unbelievable!

The thing is, she actually does want me to go :) But she suffers from a mild form of aspergers syndrome which means she doesn't think correctly sometimes, and she hates it. Her words were that she apologises for acting like a 5 year old as that is simply how she thinks some of the time when it comes to considering what other people may be thinking. I mean, the rest of the time she is completely normal and you wouldn't be able to tell, but when it comes to people leaving her, that's when she has small issues.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
This reminds me of the dentist guy in the first hangover film whos misses is a complete b*tch/bully and he just takes the punsihment. Grow a pair or you will be someones little b*tch for the REST OF YOUR LIFE ! ahah

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Why not bring her with you? Not to the match, but there's plenty for a girl to do in Brighton .. should be quite pleasant in May

We wouldn't be coming back to Brighton, just London. Sadly she also suffers from issues in crowds, more than 100 people and there is a chance of a breakdown :( wouldn't want to bring her to London for that reason. She does want to go mind you, she doesn't feel as though she could 'cope'

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Relationships are about give and take but, from a female point of view, I consider her behaviour to be unreasonable. Then again I may be biased as I'm an Albion fan. The best strategy is to decide on things you won't let her do, think about the things she most likes doing and then put restrictions on them. For instance, if she likes shopping, then cause a fuss every time she comes home with shopping bags, or if she likes a night out with the girls, then say you don't want her to do that. She will no doubt accuse you of being unreasonable and it is at that point that you bring up your wish to travel to the game which hopefully will make her reflect on her own behaviour.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I never understand people who book up holidays/weddings etc on potential big game days, or Euro's or World Cups etc. There are such things as fixtures lists and calenders you know. I got married in a non footballing summer, no aggro, no problem. On the very odd occasion something does clash with a big event, it's a no brainer. I've missed weddings and all sorts in the past. If you don't go to a play off final because the missus/girlfriend puts the block on it, I can assure you 100% you are in for a life of misery in the future with her always having the upper hand. Tell her your going and if she don't like it she can go f**k herself. My bet is she will actually respect you for it.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
years ago i had this with a gf.....one day it came to a head - i got out of bed early to goto a game in london - she pulled it on big time - dont go, it means more to you than me, men kicking a ball? blah blah.....

...i went......and do you know what? she respected me for it deep down, and she even text later in the day to see how i was. a line was drawn in the relationship -"dont tell me where i can and cant go."

man up you complete numpty.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
I never understand people who book up holidays/weddings etc on potential big game days, or Euro's or World Cups etc. There are such things as fixtures lists and calenders you know. I got married in a non footballing summer, no aggro, no problem. On the very odd occasion something does clash with a big event, it's a no brainer. I've missed weddings and all sorts in the past. If you don't go to a play off final because the missus/girlfriend puts the block on it, I can assure you 100% you are in for a life of misery in the future with her always having the upper hand. Tell her your going and if she don't like it she can go f**k herself. My bet is she will actually respect you for it.

It's not a case of booking holidays on this day, it is a case of living in another country.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's not a case of booking holidays on this day, it is a case of living in another country.

I'm sure she is capable of looking after herself for 24 hrs. You fly back, watch the game, get ratarsed and anything else you want to get up to. Then fly back the next day. Job done.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Relationships are about give and take but, from a female point of view, I consider her behaviour to be unreasonable. Then again I may be biased as I'm an Albion fan. The best strategy is to decide on things you won't let her do, think about the things she most likes doing and then put restrictions on them. For instance, if she likes shopping, then cause a fuss every time she comes home with shopping bags, or if she likes a night out with the girls, then say you don't want her to do that. She will no doubt accuse you of being unreasonable and it is at that point that you bring up your wish to travel to the game which hopefully will make her reflect on her own behaviour.

Petty points scoring never works. Both would be behaving as badly as each other. He may as well dump her now and find someone without a personality disorder.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
So you score a win on the football front, but it's still a massive fail on the relationship front. You are a fully grown and, I assume, financially independent adult and have had to get permission off of your missis to come back to England for 3 short days. She'll expect something back in return for the massive 'favour' that she's done you.

Quite what that favour is you must be careful - it will be demanded back in spades.

When I played cricket on my girlfriends birthday a few years back I promised I would do anything in return.

Little did I know the sick bitch wanted to watch me rim the next door neighbours dog.

That was one hell of a price to pay for a game of cricket. I got a a pleasant 29 and took 2-25 from my 8 overs.

be careful. Be very careful.

What is interesting is that her sister has invited her away to Spain for a few days which coincides with my birthday this year.

Bernards dog is going to be one happy son of a bitch come June.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes :( I am keeping my season ticket though, if there is a 'big' match then I will be coming back every couple of months to watch them!

Judging by what you say, do you really think you will be "allowed" to come back every couple of months......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports