Play off Final - Girlfriend not letting me go

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Considering your opinion on people standing at the football, I think this is a delightful little piece of Karma.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was due to be at the wedding of my then girlfriend's (now my wife) best friend in the arse end of Wales on the day Grimsby were due to travel to Burton Albion in a game which would decide if our 100 year league status would come to an end. The date, 8th May 2010, hadn't meant anything to me when we were originally invited about 8 months earlier, but as the day approached I realised that it had huge significance.

I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail. She was having absolutely none of it. This day had been planned for months, and no way was I going to leave her on her own at her best mate's wedding in some obscure Welsh village.

And so we traveled to Pembrokeshire on the Friday night; she sat beside me in the car looking smug that she'd won the argument. We got to the B&B, had something to eat and went to bed, ready to attend the wedding in the morning. Almost.

I got up early at about 7:00am, and mentioned to my half-asleep girlfriend that I was just nipping out in the car to get a paper as I couldn't sleep. I promptly returned at about 11:00pm, some fourteen hours later, making a sheepish appearance at the night do, having watched Town get relegated from the football league in Burton-on-Trent sandwiched in between a 5 hour drive either side (slightly longer on the way back in fact, due to a shock-induced detour via Watford Gap).

That weekend I managed to witness my football team get relegated out of the football league, spend the best part of £200 on petrol, almost end a long-term relationship with my now wife and signed myself up for weeks-upon-weeks of shít at the hands of my missus. Seriously, the severity of the shit was in when I got back ranks as one of the least enjoyable moments of my life. Do I regret any of it? Not a jot - but I don't think I'd ever have got over not being at possibly the most significant match in my club's history. My missus got over it, yours will too.

Clubs like Brighton don't get promoted to the top flight of English football very often. If it comes down to it, get yourself there at all costs. You'll regret it forever if you don't.
Proper bloke. Top work. :bowdown:

OP, stop being such a pathetic f***ing gimp.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Hello,

I shall be in another country during the play-off final. Now, if we get there my girlfriend is adamant I can't go. Actually quite aggressive that I can't go at all as it is "nothing more than men kicking one ball around", what should I do, short of ditching her?
YOU KNOW THE ANSWER. Now grow a pair.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Explain that it is (depending on your age) the biggest game and that not going is just not an option.

How many chances will you get to (potentially) see Brighton get promoted to the Premier League?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

I shall be in another country during the play-off final. Now, if we get there my girlfriend is adamant I can't go. Actually quite aggressive that I can't go at all as it is "nothing more than men kicking one ball around", what should I do, short of ditching her?

I will not be another country because I have already TOLD her I am flying back back for a day if it happens. Sorry but there are things that are almost as important as her and for one day almost is enough. Yes I need to make it up to her but she'll get over it. The key is to give notice. Its way off, it only a possibility but of it happens it happens. You can always come with me or stay here on the beach. Up to you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was due to be at the wedding of my then girlfriend's (now my wife) best friend in the arse end of Wales on the day Grimsby were due to travel to Burton Albion in a game which would decide if our 100 year league status would come to an end. The date, 8th May 2010, hadn't meant anything to me when we were originally invited about 8 months earlier, but as the day approached I realised that it had huge significance.

I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail. She was having absolutely none of it. This day had been planned for months, and no way was I going to leave her on her own at her best mate's wedding in some obscure Welsh village.

And so we traveled to Pembrokeshire on the Friday night; she sat beside me in the car looking smug that she'd won the argument. We got to the B&B, had something to eat and went to bed, ready to attend the wedding in the morning. Almost.

I got up early at about 7:00am, and mentioned to my half-asleep girlfriend that I was just nipping out in the car to get a paper as I couldn't sleep. I promptly returned at about 11:00pm, some fourteen hours later, making a sheepish appearance at the night do, having watched Town get relegated from the football league in Burton-on-Trent sandwiched in between a 5 hour drive either side (slightly longer on the way back in fact, due to a shock-induced detour via Watford Gap).

That weekend I managed to witness my football team get relegated out of the football league, spend the best part of £200 on petrol, almost end a long-term relationship with my now wife and signed myself up for weeks-upon-weeks of shít at the hands of my missus. Seriously, the severity of the shit was in when I got back ranks as one of the least enjoyable moments of my life. Do I regret any of it? Not a jot - but I don't think I'd ever have got over not being at possibly the most significant match in my club's history. My missus got over it, yours will too.

Clubs like Brighton don't get promoted to the top flight of English football very often. If it comes down to it, get yourself there at all costs. You'll regret it forever if you don't.
:bowdown:

I'm not sure that was the best way though, it would have been nice for your partner if she knew you weren't going, so she wasn't so mad while she was supposed to be enjoying her friends wedding:
'I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail.'
There was one thing you didn't try:
'I'm sorry, I will let you down and I hope you can forgive me and that you have a great day.'

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
When I first met my Mrs I told her the rules are this; I am a Brighton fan and you will never ever stop me watching them. Been with her 30 years. She knows the rules!!:D

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I shall be in Munich with no way of getting back so shall just have to grin and bear it and set the Sky box to record the match or find a bar that's playing some English football. Hey ho . . .

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
:bowdown:

I'm not sure that was the best way though, it would have been nice for your partner if she knew you weren't going, so she wasn't so mad while she was supposed to be enjoying her friends wedding:
'I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail.'
There was one thing you didn't try:
'I'm sorry, I will let you down and I hope you can forgive me and that you have a great day.'

On a serious note, I like to think that I'm a decent bloke and I take no pleasure whatsoever in upsetting my wife. The problem I had was that she had absolutely no concept of how important of how it was for me to be there day. That's not her fault - trying to explain to her why my club means so much to me is like her trying to explain to me her fixation with shoes. Two very different mentalities that simply cannot comprehend each other.

In actual fact, I did actually try to get that point across. How I'd been watching them since I was four, how it was the only time in my childhood that I felt close to my dad, the amount of games I'd been to, the lengths I'd gone to etc. But at the end of the day, to a non-football fan it is, as the OP noted, just a few blokes kicking a ball around.

Ultimately, you can't make someone understand something they can't comprehend. So be it; if you're that important to them they'll deal with it. If not, well that's a lucky escape.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Put your f#cking foot down and share the trousers!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I first met my Mrs I told her the rules are this; I am a Brighton fan and you will never ever stop me watching them. Been with her 30 years. She knows the rules!!:D

Ditto.

First wife I met in the North stand so never a problem. Second wife before we started going out I informed her of the rules. She sometimes mutters about cost etc but I remind her of the costs reference her 4 horses.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
I honestly think if you don't go you will never look at her the same again. You have to go, if it's meant to be she will get over it.

If she doesn't then you've had a lucky escape.

This is a really tragic story by the way.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Ditto.

First wife I met in the North stand so never a problem. Second wife before we started going out I informed her of the rules. She sometimes mutters about cost etc but I remind her of the costs reference her 4 horses.
Rules are rules.:thumbsup:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Be a man !
I will even help you hide the body :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports