Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning to email the club (re ticket prices)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
AND THERE IS THE RUINATION OF FOOTBALL a closed shop for those that can afford it , LEAVES A NASTY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH DOESN'T IT
regards
DR

Everything is a closed shop for those that can afford it. I'd like a holiday in Barbados this Christmas, but the travel companies have completely priced me out of the market, the TINKERS.

Jan 30, 2008
I understand that DR.

At present we are competing against the likes of 'Boro playing Downing £70k a week and QPR paying Austin £60k a week.

When Fulham tried to lure Dunk away in August the club had two options, pocket the £5m on offer from the Cottagers, or offer Dunk a pay rise to persuade him to stay and put together a promotion challenge.

The football this season has been the best I have seen for a long while (even though I've not seen us win yet), why not give it a try? I am sure you must have a mate or two who could have sorted you out a ticket for a tenner at the Cardiff match. You would have enjoyed it.
i was at the game :ohmy:
regards
DR

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Amen to that, well said. As has been said above, an unsold seat is bringing in nothing and we still have, IMHO, too many of them.
We're currently averaging around 24k. This means that if they were to drop the price by 20% - less than what many have suggested - then we would have to sell out every match to make the same income. However we wouldn't sell out, so would make less money (or lose more) than we are.

From a point of view of maximising income, I think that they've got the pricing of Season and match day tickets more or less spot on.

Last edited:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
There's one seat next to me that is always free, its in a row that is next to another group of season ticket holders. On the rare occasion I have purchased that seat (which I did for the Hull game this season) for someone else to come along with us.
I can see what the thread starters logic is and with he's theory I could ask the club to sell me that seat really cheaply, as its never sold. But I can't see the club going along with that...

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Reduced prices across the board = less take up of ST = reduced income = reduced playing budget = poorer squad = poorer results = lower crowds = reduced income = reduced playing budget =.....

More fans at each game = better atmosphere = better results (potentially) = more tickets sold = better future for the club = potential promotion = GOOD STUFF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
More fans at each game = better atmosphere = better results (potentially) = more tickets sold = better future for the club = potential promotion = GOOD STUFF

Do you really think the casual visitor will enhance the atmosphere?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I dare say many of us started as "Casual fans",and then it hit us,and that was that ! Casual fans may bring their children or friends,and they also will not only spend but also be converted .IMO not everyone can afford a season ticket,and i am happy with all the ticket incentives that the club have come up with.As to atmosphere ...........its up to us to show the way !!!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reduced prices across the board = less take up of ST = reduced income = reduced playing budget = poorer squad = poorer results = lower crowds = reduced income = reduced playing budget =.....

Why? Surely a price reduction across the board would include a price reduction in season tickets, potentially increasing the uptake of ST?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? Surely a price reduction across the board would include a price reduction in season tickets, potentially increasing the uptake of ST?

One person has already said he wouldn't choose the cheaper seats so price isn't necessarily the issue.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I know I'm sounding like a stuck record, but at current prices we still fill our 30K capacity ground to around 80% most games, so it can't be too far wrong; a price reduction across the board would mean a very large loss of income.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One person has already said he wouldn't choose the cheaper seats so price isn't necessarily the issue.

Yes, but there would also be those who don't buy season tickets at the moment because of their cost, either it's too much for them to commit to, even by direct debit, or because they don't know how many games they would be able to get to but are willing to take the hit of a couple of missed games if the ST is cheaper. And also those who don't buy match day tickets because they are a bit too much.

I know I'm sounding like a stuck record, but at current prices we still fill our 30K capacity ground to around 80% most games, so it can't be too far wrong; a price reduction across the board would mean a very large loss of income.

Two seasons ago we averaged a little over 90% attendance. Last season it was 85%. This season 80%. There is a downward trend there. People are losing interest. The no shows last season were (I am assuming) largely responsible for the 10% non-renewals this season. This season's no shows are likely to be next season's non-renewals. A continued fall in attendances will lead to its very own large loss of income.

Part of that will of course be the failure to go up, and the flirting with relegation. But price also pays a big part. Whether we admit it or not, even someone with loyalty and passionate support, will be affected by cost. People are less willing to tolerate things if it is more expensive - whether that be boring football, unsuccessful football, missed games already paid for, paying for a season ticket they only buy in case we go up so they can get one for the premier league etc.

With cheaper tickets the income might go down, but it also might rise.

You can get the same total income charging less per ticket if you bring in enough new/lapsed supporters. We've all seen those example equation; in previous ticket price threads, in safe standing threads, etc. A large loss is not a given.

Everyone is aware that it is a struggle to find that balance between appealing to as many people as possible while bringing in the most money they can, and for the past few seasons the club have felt they got it right. I don't know that I would disagree (pretty much any realistic price for championship football will be too high for someone). But with attendance falling year on year, perhaps the balance needs to be looked at again.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex

Also more fans (might) = more beer drunk,= more food and more programmes sold etc. As it was said earlier in this thread the more fans the better the atmosphere.

Personally my view is, the cost of my North stand season ticket is what it is and I just have to pay the money for it if I want go. Its my choice as Jnr Northstandfan and I want to watch the Albion as much as I can. I cant afford to do the away games but hey ho,Maybe only feeding the kids 5 days a week from now on might help on that score.
I appreciate that there are people on a budget in all walks of life and for all kinds of reasons that cant afford it but that is the reality of life, I want to buy an Aston Martin but I doubt whether they will ever lower the prices so that I can have one just because I work hard.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, but there would also be those who don't buy season tickets at the moment because of their cost, either it's too much for them to commit to, even by direct debit, or because they don't know how many games they would be able to get to but are willing to take the hit of a couple of missed games if the ST is cheaper. And also those who don't buy match day tickets because they are a bit too much.

Two seasons ago we averaged a little over 90% attendance. Last season it was 85%. This season 80%. There is a downward trend there. People are losing interest. The no shows last season were (I am assuming) largely responsible for the 10% non-renewals this season. This season's no shows are likely to be next season's non-renewals. A continued fall in attendances will lead to its very own large loss of income.

Part of that will of course be the failure to go up, and the flirting with relegation. But price also pays a big part. Whether we admit it or not, even someone with loyalty and passionate support, will be affected by cost. People are less willing to tolerate things if it is more expensive - whether that be boring football, unsuccessful football, missed games already paid for, paying for a season ticket they only buy in case we go up so they can get one for the premier league etc.

With cheaper tickets the income might go down, but it also might rise.

You can get the same total income charging less per ticket if you bring in enough new/lapsed supporters. We've all seen those example equation; in previous ticket price threads, in safe standing threads, etc. A large loss is not a given.

Everyone is aware that it is a struggle to find that balance between appealing to as many people as possible while bringing in the most money they can, and for the past few seasons the club have felt they got it right. I don't know that I would disagree (pretty much any realistic price for championship football will be too high for someone). But with attendance falling year on year, perhaps the balance needs to be looked at again.

i'd be confident that they are continually looking at this...and from what i see the club are pretty innovative with there ticket promotions

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It would be very interesting to find out how many tickets the club sold on the £10 deal at the Cardiff game. That would provide some sort of indication of how many more people might attend if prices were lower. I'm guessing a couple of thousand. And that was through a convoluted offer which required you to know someone who has a season ticket.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let's start with fact football is not cheap. Most would agree that. Is it good value, well, that entirely depends on individual circumstances. I decided it wasn't and chose not to renew by ST after nearly 20 years, inc Gillingham!, because I could no longer sell games I couldn't get to. And increasingly there were more and more because eg TV rescheduling, Other local events and so forth. And all that before the hassle and time of getting to games which is actually quite stressful given bus replacement services, the m25, southern rails persistently poor management of Brighton concourse before and after games etc. Plus I can never go with casual friends because of all seating. Add into the mix £38 (which I paid when took friends to a game in lower east stand by corner flag so not exactly prime!) unless there's a special and well, it's just not difficult to see why the walk up numbers on the day could be a lot better. The real price I paid for my cheap ST in the north became £40 a game as I tended to miss 1 in every 2. So really I'm paying the same if I have a ST or not. It's a little less stressful Without the ST however simply because you don't feel compelled to go or begrudge wasting it often through circumstances beyond my control. Modern football is a hassle and expensive by comparison. No one will convince me otherwise. The only reason we tolerate is because we fell in love with our clubs at an earlier age and like malaria it never leaves your damn bloodstream!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here