Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning to email the club (re ticket prices)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Calm down dear - being tempted isn't the issue, far from it. And I'm sure I will give into that temptation as I have done several times already this season, as watching the Albion is obviously really superb again.
Have you taken advantage of the 4 matches for £100 deal, and is it as flexible as it seemed? To me, this deal seems the ideal compromise for a fan that wants to see a few games a season but isn't able to commit to buying a season ticket.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Some people seem to prefer finding excuses than to just getting on with things and cracking on. This is probably true for their lives in general and illustrates how some are winners and others are losers. Time spent thinking about saving money is time wasted and better served on making it, then you don't have to worry about the odd irrelevant fiver.

thank god you dont run a business(or the club) I hope!!

.....many have jumped on the wrong band wagon here a little, (for a general whinge about prices) and the original sentiment of my post has been lost(by those that dont read so good) My immediate concern is not about saving £10 or so, but the clubs overall strategy on promoting the sale of empty seats and season ticket holders upselling on behalf of the club effectively, and brokering potential future(return) customers.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Have you taken advantage of the 4 matches for £100 deal, and is it as flexible as it seemed? To me, this deal seems the ideal compromise for a fan that wants to see a few games a season but isn't able to commit to buying a season ticket.

On the face of it, totally agree. But - it's nowhere near as good a deal as it first seemed, to me anyway:

"The Pack includes the right to claim a match ticket to one category A, two category B and one category C game of your choice.

- Do they honestly think that I can be arsed or even have the time to check out in advance which one of these lame, made-up "categories" the next home game might fit into when I've already shelled out 100 quid? No. I really can't be doing with all that.

"Tickets will be available to claim on a match-by-match basis in the North, South and West Stand Lower corners (Zone A and Zone C). Tickets can be selected once they go on sale to members."

This might be a personal thing but I'm really not a fan of sitting in the corners, esp. low down. I don't think many people are and that's obviously why this deal tries to target those areas. But they are sub-optimal places to sit, IMHO.

So for that reason, sadly, I'm out.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Oh and these risible "categories" - oh so Premiership 20 years ago - are, of course: " (subject to change, prior to the on-sale date)".

Right ho.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
when you say average, is that with no show ST massaged into the figures? and so far we're 1k up on that figure despite a good start..............interesting
regards
DR

The no-shows are a moot point - they still invested in a season ticket and so contribute to the clubs turnover. What it shows is that the attendances are relatively stable. Whether you consider crowds of 20-25k for a provincial second division football club to be inadequate is another matter, but historically we are not a club that has regularly commanded much in excess of that. And our crowds are still among the highest outside the Premier League, and higher than some who are in it.

So again I'd have to say, the club have got it about right. We'd all love to see prices slashed, but its always going to be a balancing act. They need to continue to be innovative with ticket deals, whilst maintaining a stable core of bums on seats. Grizzling about wanting matchday tickets for £20 is simply unrealistic in todays market.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The no-shows are a moot point - they still invested in a season ticket and so contribute to the clubs turnover. What it shows is that the attendances are relatively stable. Whether you consider crowds of 20-25k for a provincial second division football club to be inadequate is another matter, but historically we are not a club that has regularly commanded much in excess of that. And our crowds are still among the highest outside the Premier League, and higher than some who are in it.

So again I'd have to say, the club have got it about right. We'd all love to see prices slashed, but its always going to be a balancing act. They need to continue to be innovative with ticket deals, whilst maintaining a stable core of bums on seats. Grizzling about wanting matchday tickets for £20 is simply unrealistic in todays market.

The market is defined by what people are willing to pay. The poor match day ticket sales suggest that many are not willing to pay 30-40 quid for a championship game. If the club don't want to reduce prices because they might then have to reduce season ticket prices, that's a very short term view. Thousands of empty seats at every game, seats which could be filled by new fans who could be part of the future of the club.

If the pricing was right we might get close to selling out every game. It's not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The market is defined by what people are willing to pay. The poor match day ticket sales suggest that many are not willing to pay 30-40 quid for a championship game. If the club don't want to reduce prices because they might then have to reduce season ticket prices, that's a very short term view. Thousands of empty seats at every game, seats which could be filled by new fans who could be part of the future of the club.

If the pricing was right we might get close to selling out every game. It's not.

I'm not convinced thats the case. We were sometimes getting closer to 30k when the Amex was new (and newly expanded), and the team was competing for the playoffs, but that was always going to drop off to an extent after the novelty value had subsided. We'll still get pushing 30k when the massive games come along, but historically we've never been able to maintain crowds of that size so this is nothing new. I think averaging 24-25k for a club of BHA's size playijng in the second division is still a fine achievement.

I've not got the figures, but I'd wager we have a far larger proportion of STH's than most clubs, which has probably resulted in a smaller pool of "floaters" (for want of a better expression!) who pick and choose which games to go to.

If I was not a STH, then yes, I WOULD balk at paying £40 or £42 for a ticket, but then that would be for one of the best seats in the house. I'd lower my sights a bit and pay £30 for a WSU ticket though, as I do think that's reasonable with the travel aspect built in. Of course if we lopped 30% off all tickets across the board we might get closer to selling out some games, but at what cost to the overall turnover ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Amen to that, well said. As has been said above, an unsold seat is bringing in nothing and we still have, IMHO, too many of them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Reduced prices across the board = less take up of ST = reduced income = reduced playing budget = poorer squad = poorer results = lower crowds = reduced income = reduced playing budget =.....

Jan 30, 2008

cut inflated player wages for starters and it might happen
regards
DR

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Jan 30, 2008
Lovely fluffy theory. Wouldn't that be wonderful ?

The trouble with that is that on the whole, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Clubs who make the top 6 rarely pay bottom 3 wages.

AND THERE IS THE RUINATION OF FOOTBALL a closed shop for those that can afford it , LEAVES A NASTY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH DOESN'T IT
regards
DR

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I will not be mugged off EP
regards
DR

I understand that DR.

At present we are competing against the likes of 'Boro playing Downing £70k a week and QPR paying Austin £60k a week.

When Fulham tried to lure Dunk away in August the club had two options, pocket the £5m on offer from the Cottagers, or offer Dunk a pay rise to persuade him to stay and put together a promotion challenge.

The football this season has been the best I have seen for a long while (even though I've not seen us win yet), why not give it a try? I am sure you must have a mate or two who could have sorted you out a ticket for a tenner at the Cardiff match. You would have enjoyed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here