Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Berbers Revenue Streams

Yogi Hair

Jan 25, 2012
I know Paul Barber has been bought in to create new revenue streams for the club, and yesterday I fell victim to one of them.
I forgot my season tickets yesterday (Brum) and so went into the ticket office before the game hoping they could print me some paper tickets off.
Good news, they could, but at £5 each!!!!
I had no choice did I, pay up or go home.
"ten quid? Ok then! (sigh) ( 2 tickets)
" courtesy of PB's new Terms and conditions" says the ticket office bloke.
Now I don't mind paying a fair price, but £5 to print off a ticket is taking the piss, especially when I have paid for it once already
Any one else noticed any other "stealth taxes" creeping in (apart from food/drink etc?
PS -Don't forget your ST's

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You answered your own question

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are going to an event that requires you to take your ticket.

I guess if you P & R it, all you need to watch the Albion is your preloaded ticket and door keys.
You forgot the ticket.

I'm surprised you only get charged a fiver, most stooopid taxes are through the roof.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That's contrary to the club charter
Lost or stolen cards may be replaced at a charge of £10. On the day of a match, a duplicate ticket may be issued at the Club’s discretion for misplaced tickets/cards. The ticket/card will subsequently be cancelled for that match only. The duplicate ticket, if issued, will always take precedence. A non-refundable charge of £3 will be payable.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Had this last week was abit miffed would perfer they did the same as Withdean when you paid say £20 but it was refundable on displaying your ticket, I know things a different but sure they could look at the card and see it wasn't used for entry and refund your cash.

That said I don't blame PB if it was him then he is only DOING HIS JOB that he was brought in for. If it allows us to continue to progress then fine by me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know Paul Barber has been bought in to create new revenue streams for the club, and yesterday I fell victim to one of them.
I forgot my season tickets yesterday (Brum) and so went into the ticket office before the game hoping they could print me some paper tickets off.
Good news, they could, but at £5 each!!!!
I had no choice did I, pay up or go home.
"ten quid? Ok then! (sigh) ( 2 tickets)
" courtesy of PB's new Terms and conditions" says the ticket office bloke.
Now I don't mind paying a fair price, but £5 to print off a ticket is taking the piss, especially when I have paid for it once already
Any one else noticed any other "stealth taxes" creeping in (apart from food/drink etc?
PS -Don't forget your ST's

Was it Paul Barber's fault that you forgot your card?

Yogi Hair

Jan 25, 2012
No I don't get public transport, always get a coach with seagulls travel.
I think my issue is that PB has been bought in to create new revenue streams, yet has he done any more than just whack XY% onto everything?
He comes out with the usual chief exec spiel of "strategies" & "branding" etc, but people I speak to connected to the club ask if he is actually any good.
Guess time will tell. And, I hope he does do well.
Just seemed a bit of a harsh way to extract even more money from me, when I am spending a fortune already.
Don't want to be one of these wingers, so will shut up now!
Nite folks xx

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No I don't get public transport, always get a coach with seagulls travel.
I think my issue is that PB has been bought in to create new revenue streams, yet has he done any more than just whack XY% onto everything?
He comes out with the usual chief exec spiel of "strategies" & "branding" etc, but people I speak to connected to the club ask if he is actually any good.
Guess time will tell. And, I hope he does do well.
Just seemed a bit of a harsh way to extract even more money from me, when I am spending a fortune already.
Don't want to be one of these wingers, so will shut up now!
Nite folks xx

But it's a bit like complaining about a parking ticket when you're late back to your car, or when you get caught speeding, isn't it?

I'm sorry you had to shell out another £10, and that might seem a bit steep, but hopefully you'll not make the same mistake again. As pointed out before, it is nothing new, just gone up, like a lot of things. Again, this is nothing new in the wider economy; wouldn't see it as PB's fault – maybe it is TB you should be complaining about?

Plus, if we are aiming for the PL, I think only the most naive would expect things to stay the same. Prices will go up if/when we get promoted, and I'm prepared for the binfest(s)...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If true, and I'm not doubting you, this is pretty disgraceful from the club who would, once again, be just tossing the club's Customer Charter aside for no apparent reason.

What is the purpose of this document if the club are just going to ignore it, on a whim?

£3 -> £5 is not a lot, in absolute terms, but in relative terms a 66% rise is exhorbitant. Additionally, some U-10 tickets barely cost a fiver a game anyway. Charging 100% for a replacement ticket is outrageous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If true, and I'm not doubting you, this is pretty disgraceful from the club who would, once again, be just tossing the club's Customer Charter aside for no apparent reason.

What is the purpose of this document if the club are just going to ignore it, on a whim?

£3 -> £5 is not a lot, in absolute terms, but in relative terms a 66% rise is exhorbitant. Additionally, some U-10 tickets barely cost a fiver a game anyway. Charging 100% for a replacement ticket is outrageous.

Look at Insiders answer on the link in post 6. It is due to a small minority abusing the system.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Look at Insiders answer on the link in post 6. It is due to a small minority abusing the system.

This is more of an excuse than a genuine reason. If this is the case weed these types out, it cannot be too difficult to figure out who the serial abusers are and not allow them a cheap re-print.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
An old invention called a 'wallet' solves this issue & can carry other useful items such as cash so you don't have to 'remember' items. Ask for one for Xmas?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An old invention called a 'wallet' solves this issue & can carry other useful items such as cash so you don't have to 'remember' items. Ask for one for Xmas?

True. Man Purses are also very useful.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But it's a bit like complaining about a parking ticket when you're late back to your car, or when you get caught speeding, isn't it?I'm sorry you had to shell out another £10, and that might seem a bit steep, but hopefully you'll not make the same mistake again. As pointed out before, it is nothing new, just gone up, like a lot of things. Again, this is nothing new in the wider economy; wouldn't see it as PB's fault – maybe it is TB you should be complaining about?

Plus, if we are aiming for the PL, I think only the most naive would expect things to stay the same. Prices will go up if/when we get promoted, and I'm prepared for the binfest(s)...
No, its nothing whatsoever like it, a FAN, forgot his ticket, and was then ripped off for a replacement, I see no similarity whatsoever to a parking fine.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't have a huge issue with the charge for issuing replacements. We all know why its really there.

I do like Bozza, have an issue with the club ignoring the published charter, though.

For me however, the biggest story in this little tale, is the quoted line from the ticket office staff :
" courtesy of Paul Barber's new Terms and conditions" says the ticket office bloke.

Did he really say that? There was certainly no need for him to directly namecheck Barber, if indeed he did so, Makes you wonder about staff attitudes toward him.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is more of an excuse than a genuine reason. If this is the case weed these types out, it cannot be too difficult to figure out who the serial abusers are and not allow them a cheap re-print.

The ticket office already has to deal with thousands of tickets each game, and don't get that right, so why not use a deterrent? It's cheaper and simpler.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If you forgot your ticket to most things you get charged, refused entry or made to pay in full again. Our tickets now fit easily in a wallet there's not much excuse for 'forgetting' them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here