Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Berbers Revenue Streams

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On the trains, if you forget your season ticket, you are asked to pay the fare at the time. You can then write off to have it refunded by proving you forgot your season ticket, by posting a photocopy of said season ticket and the receipt of the journey you had to pay for. However, you are only able to do this once a year. Any more, and it's tough shit - you pay for the entire journey that you have already paid for in your season ticket.

To be honest, I've always felt this seems to work quite well, and can't help thinking this is what should be happening in situations like these. First time you forget, that's fine you can have a reprint. Any more often, then a charge should apply as you are taking the piss if you expect others to compensate you with their time just because you forget your season ticket more than once a season out of only 23 games.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A very quick google shows that:

At Spurs

What happens if I lost my card or left it a home?

If Platinum, Gold or Silver One Hotspur Members arrive at the Stadium without their Season Stadium Access Card they will be able to obtain a replacement match ticket from the Ticket Office at a non-refundable cost of £10.00, provided that they have with them proof of identity at the time

Leeds Utd £5 per ticket

Out of interest how did the OB provide proof if ID

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, its nothing whatsoever like it, a FAN, forgot his ticket, and was then ripped off for a replacement, I see no similarity whatsoever to a parking fine.

The point being the onus is on the individual to remember their card, or, in the case of parking, get back to their car before the ticket runs out.

I can see the argument that is 'why should there be any charge for forgetting a ticket' but I don't think it is exclusive to our club, nor to life in general.

Can you get into a sold out gig without a ticket (because they are fans too)? Or can you board an aeroplane without your ticket or passport? In the main, I think the answer is no.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Barber on Saturday and I was very impressed by the man. First of all he admits to being first and foremost a Spurs fan and whilst pitying him this affliction I was impressed that he has the integrity to not hide his loyalty as a football supporter. More importantly he spoke very openly about making decisions- not all of which would be popular - which benefit the club but also about the importance of engaging fans and taking them with him. I thought his approach and attitude was commendably balanced and very clearly he is amenable to discussion and is prepared to respond to customers views and needs. A top addition to the backroom team.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I turned up at Barnsley home match without my season ticket and they printed me off one there and then with absolutely no charge!

He turned up at an event that he'd already paid for , having forgotten his ticket, he was then charged an extra £5, it's profiteering, plain and simple, I think a nominal charge should be applied, it's known as goodwill, he is a fan, the lifeblood of any club.

Would you expect to be let in to a gig if you turned up without your ticket? No. The 'fan' argument doesn't wash either, the club is a business.

On a slightly different note, the driver of my bus home on Saturday refused to let me use my season ticket as it was midnight and insisted I pay the full fare. Is that Paul Barber's fault as well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a slightly different note, the driver of my bus home on Saturday refused to let me use my season ticket as it was midnight and insisted I pay the full fare. Is that Paul Barber's fault as well?

Is there a time limit after which you cannot use your season ticket?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
The club established an enormous amount of goodwill when 6,000 of us Withdean season ticket holders all bought season tickets for mates, relatives etc and generally did a great pr job on the clubs behlaf that ended up with 20k season tickets being sold

However all this goodwill is now happily being flushed down the toilet in order to raise a few quid more. Still not as if anyone reads what's on here to find out what's going on or anything.

An interesting point of note being that since the Shef Wed game sold out and these new "stealth charges" were introduced, we have not yet managed to sell out any match since then

Is there a time limit after which you cannot use your season ticket?

Not sure what it is for 3pm kick offs, but it's midnight for evening games. I really wasn't in a state on Saturday to get into a debate about a 5:30 start. Tbh the bloke was just being a jobsworth. Plenty of times I've caught late buses home and it's never been an issue.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Seems a bit harsh to me. Maybe they should bring in fingerprint identification- very hard to forget your finger.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
An interesting point of note being that since the Shef Wed game sold out and these new "stealth charges" were introduced, we have not yet managed to sell out any match since then

Erm, there's been one home game since Sheffield Wednesday. And no, Birmingham didn't sell out, but they didn't sell all their allocation, so we had more home tickes available than the Sheff Wed game. Because of this, we actually sold more home tickets than for any other game since we moved to the amex.

Cardiff City total attendance: 25,518, Albion: 24,734
Barnsley total attendance: 24,594, Albion: 24,297
Sheff Wed total attendance: 26,594, Albion: 24,912
Birmingham total attendance: 26,121, Albion: 25,010

Since those "stealth charges" were introduced, we've broken the record for most home tickets sold.

(nb attendance = tickets sold, not necessarily number of people)

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The club established an enormous amount of goodwill when 6,000 of us Withdean season ticket holders all bought season tickets for mates, relatives etc and generally did a great pr job on the clubs behlaf that ended up with 20k season tickets being sold

However all this goodwill is now happily being flushed down the toilet in order to raise a few quid more. Still not as if anyone reads what's on here to find out what's going on or anything.

You must be congratulated on your sterling work and deep pockets for buying season tickets for your friends and family. Do you really think that the Withdean 6000 sold 20,000 season tickets..........you are in a dreamworld with a very inflated opinion on your self importance. Still we did manage to get the highest attendance in the division on Saturday even with the "stealth taxes".

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I remember a time when if you turned up at the match without your ticket you either went home and got it or missed the event, we are living in a mollycoddled society now were you can just leave the house with your head up your arse and your brain in neutral because hey, it doesn't matter I just fill in a form and get another ticket/£20 note/ train ticket/payment on a betting slip/hotel door key etc etc. FFS people take some some responsibility. if I forgot my ST i'd breathe a sigh of relief that I could get it replaced for the price of a pint.

Thanks for this - 100% agree.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Would you expect to be let in to a gig if you turned up without your ticket? No. The 'fan' argument doesn't wash either, the club is a business.

I would if I had paid for a season ticket that entitled me to entry to the same venue once or twice every fortnight for nine months of the year .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure what it is for 3pm kick offs, but it's midnight for evening games. I really wasn't in a state on Saturday to get into a debate about a 5:30 start. Tbh the bloke was just being a jobsworth. Plenty of times I've caught late buses home and it's never been an issue.

Same here. I have used my travel vouchers well into the night.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Barber on Saturday
Doesn't that disqualify you from passing judgement? We don't want to judge him on facts, we want hearsay, rumour and, ideally, some innuendo too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They'll be someone who does, I guarantee it.

What will the going rate be on the ticket exchange, if you need to send the other guy the tip of your finger?*

*I'm not going to do this - I have three season tickets, and there is no way my wife would let me cut off the tops of each of our lads' fingers. Not even if I explain we can then recoup some money on unused tickets :down:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah, how are people that don't forget their season ticket to know that they would have been charged if they had. We need to tell them all immediately, so they can find a better club to support.

You couldn't have been less interesting if you'd tried. These 'stealth charges' are so stealthy I doubt I'll ever be charged them.

The club aren't going to be making any significant money from this, I'm sure it would be better for them if we all remembered our ticket and didn't waste their time on the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here