Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber: his best and his worst decision to date - in your opinion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Paul Barber started his work at the club sometime in June 2012. So 8 months or so into his tenure, what do you believe to be his best and his worst decision thus far? Obviously, there isn't a definitive list of which decisions have been Mr Barber's handiwork, so we'll just have to use our judgement on that.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
£2 for a cup of hot gravy granules(bovril), or a tea bag with some hot water poured on it, is quite frankly disgusting. The pies etc seem fairly priced, but the hot drinks are criminal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The catering prices were changed for the Fat Boy Slim concert last year, so before Barber arrived.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His best move must have been to sack Azure although I have heard that it has come to late to influence some of the corporate boxholders who are not renewing due to the poor standard of food in them.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't know what exactly he's done as compared to what someone else would have done in his place, I sort of just think he's probably a better person to be at the helm than most. Ticket prices really aren't that bad.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would have thought that pricing is part of his remit. And how many I ask is that fishing??? Unless you think £2 for a paper cup full of hot water and a spoon full of bovril is fair enough.

Pricing is down to the caterer, in agreement with the club.

The current price was set before Barber arrived.

£2.00 (or £1.80) for Bovril is steep, but is probably the going rate at these sort of places - if you can find it, that is.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The way the club release seats for sale for home games is utterly retarded and nothing less than short term profiteering. If he is behind it he is a moron.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would have thought that pricing is part of his remit. And how many I ask is that fishing??? Unless you think £2 for a paper cup full of hot water and a spoon full of bovril is fair enough.

Only asking because I genuinely believe its up to the caterers what they choose to charge, so I just thought you were blaming him randomly, wasn't accusing you of anything :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Best - sacking the caters
Worst - closing down the NSC ticket exchange

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Best - getting rid of Azure and appointing The Lindley Group
Worst - getting rid of Gully's Girls, Saturday's effort was shambolic.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Think Barbers best is yet to come - we all know he's a clever man when it comes to money and I think/hope this summer that he'll be trying to get some clever commercial revenue for the club from big,well known companies .

Think some of the pricing is his worst so far , but hard to judge until we see exactly what it leads to I guess.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
His best move must have been to sack Azure although I have heard that it has come to late to influence some of the corporate boxholders who are not renewing due to the poor standard of food in them.

I thought* they were on minimum 5 year deals, so nothing to renew for the net 3.5 years. That said, they may have refused to have the food on offer, which I believe is an additional cost.

* note, I said I Thought that was the deal on the boxes, if I'm wrong then I'm sure someone who knows for sure can clarify.

Best - getting rid of Azure
Worst - failing to fill the stadium

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. Although strictly speaking, the NSC exchange was actually illegal, but to have it closed down comes across as petty.

Best - getting rid of Azure and appointing The Lindley Group
Worst - getting rid of Gully's Girls, Saturday's effort was shambolic.
Not many people really care that much about Gully's Girls, US. I quite liked them but really getting rid of them hardly ranks as a bad decision let alone the worst IMO. You don't see people looking around whistfully at half time thinking "I'd really love to see Gully's Girls back for the visit of Huddersfield Town".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe you should blame the men who were abusing Gully's Girls. Barber said he felt it was inappropriate for them to be open to such abuse.

I don't buy this. He has been judge and jury and executioner. Seems a shame.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agreed. Although strictly speaking, the NSC exchange was actually illegal, but to have it closed down comes across as petty.

Agreed back at you but lets not forget that Sussex Police have publicly stated that they didn't really have a problem with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here