Paul Barber - first impressions

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
One of the things that helps the club function the way it does is the whole 'sticking around afterwards for a pie and a pint' thing. It helps the flow of people on to the trains, and makes the transport thing work pretty well.

Going the Pukka Pies / Carlsberg Tetley route will almost certainly have the dual effect of people not buying something that isn't generally wanted, meaning more people will leave early - bollocksing up the trains. There may be a short-term incentive to get some sort of 'beer deal' in, but if it has the long-term effect of alienating the fans and affecting sales, who will come out the winner?

It's one area that works brilliantly at present - why rock it? It wouldn't make sense.

Paul Barber was staggered by the beer sales when it was mentioned - at which point Martin Perry interjected and pointed out that '140,000 pints were Harvey's'. That, to me, was very telling. He then rolled his eyes and with a smirk muttered something like 'but then, one or two of us didn't think that idea would work...' They all acknowledge it's something there now exceptionally proud of.

This is VERY true.

If everyone were to leave the ground straight after the game instead of a good percentage staying back afterwards, travel would become far worse.

IMO, the club should be doing EVEN MORE to get people to stay behind afterwards - how about a 10% price reduction once the final whistle has gone?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That seeks to pre-suppose that we'll stuff our faces to any old rubbish. I can't see that happening. We've eaten and drank ourselves silly because the product was (a) local and (b) good.

Indeed. I think the club should underestimate this at their peril.

kevinputtick

Mar 24, 2010
Addlestone, Surrey
I think if Paul Barber supplies the thousands of fans each week with Harveys and Piglet Pantry pies then life will good along with his commercial knowledge he has, we can only be on the road to success, and yes Azzure do need looking at in terms of their delivering of food and drinks especially in WSU but I'm sure across the whole of the stadium...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think if Paul Barber supplies the thousands of fans each week with Harveys and Piglet Pantry pies then life will good along with his commercial knowledge he has, we can only be on the road to success, and yes Azzure do need looking at in terms of their delivering of food and drinks especially in WSU but I'm sure across the whole of the stadium...

Indeed. Martin mentioned that the new ESU kiosks will each have eight tills instead of six.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That seeks to pre-suppose that we'll stuff our faces to any old rubbish. I can't see that happening. We've eaten and drank ourselves silly because the product was (a) local and (b) good.

I think you're wrong. There may be exceptions, such as your good self, but by and large people would rather have a beer of almost any sort and have a leisurely chat with chums than stand, sans beer, for 45 minutes in a barely moving queue for a train. More so if the weather is shite.

The Harveys sales figures are fantastic, certainly, but I know of many, including myself, who bought Harveys often because it was the easy option, due to the mobile kegs and short queues. It was far from my first choice but, echoing my point above, some beer was better than both a long queue for a beer and having no beer at all.

I've even bought pints of Fosters for some right real ale fiends, because Harveys had run out. Again some beer > no beer.

All that said, that's not to say I advocate the abandonment of the local produce we all enjoy, but I think some overplay the impact on 'the Amex success story'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And to reiterate a point from above, that really shouldn't need saying, Azure have been the weakest link in the Amex offering on a near-constant basis.

Sorting that out should be top of PB's list.

kevinputtick

Mar 24, 2010
Addlestone, Surrey
Indeed. Martin mentioned that the new ESU kiosks will each have eight tills instead of six.

thats good to hear

I met Ken Brown on the train after we wont the title at Walsall, heading back to New Street station with Martin Perry, the carriage sang along to 'sack the board'! Martin and Ken were quizzed with questions of which Martin only replied to, maybe a sign of shyness in public!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

But there must be a big % of the crowd that would drink and eat any old thing on sale, people don't go to the ground for the pies and ale and if they served John Smiths and Pukka Pies for many it wouldn't matter

Bozza puts this point better than me above

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
And to reiterate a point from above, that really shouldn't need saying, Azure have been the weakest link in the Amex offering on a near-constant basis.

Sorting that out should be top of PB's list.

This, together with the transport, which could still be improved by making some very small changes, and using a little bit of common sense.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
All that said, that's not to say I advocate the abandonment of the local produce we all enjoy, but I think some overplay the impact on 'the Amex success story'.

I am not sure about that for the Harveys. It all helps create the ambience that draws people to the ground early, and encourages them to stay later. I think it is a really important factor.

Anyway we are contracted with Harveys for four years anyway aren't we ?

The importance of the pies are over-stated. Chips would do.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think you're wrong. There may be exceptions, such as your good self, but by and large people would rather have a beer of almost any sort and have a leisurely chat with chums than stand, sans beer, for 45 minutes in a barely moving queue for a train. More so if the weather is shite.

The Harveys sales figures are fantastic, certainly, but I know of many, including myself, who bought Harveys often because it was the easy option, due to the mobile kegs and short queues. It was far from my first choice but, echoing my point above, some beer was better than both a long queue for a beer and having no beer at all.

I've even bought pints of Fosters for some right real ale fiends, because Harveys had run out. Again some beer > no beer.

Agreed. I stay behind and have a pint or two because it's nice to wind down a bit after the game, and it makes getting the train a nicer experience later. I don't really drink Ale so only drink the Harveys if someone happens to buy me one. The pies are good, but to be perfectly honest, when I've had a few beers and have been watching football and am hungry, it doesn't make the slightest difference to me whether they are made in Sussex or in Timbukto. I'm not eating them to support a local business and make myself feel happy about what a great community success story the club is, I'm eating them because I'm hungry (or, more accurately, drunk).

I'm sure there are a few people who don't think like this, but they will be in the overwhelming minority in a 25,000 crowd.

How much lager is sold compared to Harveys? I don't drink the lager because it is a great product, it isn't. It's usually relatively flat and served in a horrible plastic glass, same as every other football ground in the country that serves alcohol. I don't eat the pies because they are a fantastic product either. They're quite nice, but the main reason is simple- they're there.

Personally, I think it would be much more important to get the service at the kiosks sorted out, than worry too much about the actual product that they're serving. As long as it isn't rubbish, people will buy it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

agree........ the current food and beverage sales will bring x amount of millions, hold that up against shirt sponsorship at y millions. If someone like Carlsberg or Carling etc would sponsor our shirts for 3y millions in return for exclusivity on certain beers and that brings in a much higher net return overall the club will implement it.

It is first and foremost a business trying to maximise revenue and not a social club, can't see that affecting harveys per se but as someone who would prefer Harveys over John Smiths, coke over pepsi and piglets over Pukka, I wouldnt have nothing if the club made a commercial decision that would maximise net income. I would still want to eat and drink something.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm not quite sure what he means by... "by inviting outside money in, there may be occasions where he has to be seen as the bad guy" perhaps you could clarify please?

I have the impression he's talking about sponsorship and marketing. So be prepared for Brighton and Hove Jobs on the front of the shirts to be replaced by something that brings in more money. Let's hope it's not McDonalds or Starbucks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am not sure about that for the Harveys. It all helps create the ambience that draws people to the ground early, and encourages them to stay later. I think it is a really important factor.

Not as far as I am aware. It's there because we initially asked for it, and now because we drink it.

To excess.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I have a choice of Fosters (shit), Strongbow (shit) and Harveys (not to my taste really). This has absolutely no impact on my usage of concourse facilities before, during or after matches. I stay for the ambience, mates, chitter chatter and transport queue avoidance - both to and from games. Like many, I've spent a fortune. Many I'm with will drink whatever is the quickest to obtain - often Harveys - I doubt we're alone in that.

(This collective Harveys related back-slapping is also a bit off when lager and cider drinkers have been largely abandoned when it comes to on-concourse drinking.)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I'm glad we don't sell chips. Have you noticed how the Amex smells so much nicer than other grounds? That's why.

Going back to this 'local' point again, I think it matters to about 1% of the customers (don't forget that's what they are), if that. Nobody else really cares. Certainly as far as the pies go, anyway.

And I think people drink Harveys because they like Ale, and a lot of football grounds don't serve it, rather than because it comes from Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports