Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - first impressions

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks for that - very interesting, and glad to hear he's reading Build a Bonfire/we want Falmer, and confirming what we knew about David Davies.

I'm not quite sure what he means by... "by inviting outside money in, there may be occasions where he has to be seen as the bad guy" perhaps you could clarify please?

It's my inference, rather than his comment. He needs to get more money into the club, to take us to the next level, and there's only a finite amount that the local business community can contribute. He wasn't specific at all, but one thing someone did suggest while we were nattering before the meeting (and I'm not saying that this is going to happen - and it's not a sleight on B&H Jobs) was that we ought to be able to attract a big-name shirt sponsor.

For instance - though this wasn't mentioned at all - the stands are still not sponsored...

I'm not sure what he meant about the bad guy bit (though he did mention about not hiking prices) - possibly acknowledging that some decisions CEOs have to make aren't popular, but that - if it's in the interest of the club as a whole - he will make them.

Everything said was in vague, roundabout terms, but it looks like he's (among other things) been brought in to attract new money, attracting companies to invest in an upwardly moving set-up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't a report from earlier say this week that he'd already read those books?

Bringing money in - the most obvious things for me, especially given his time at the FA and Vancouver, are commercial sponsorships/partnerships such that the Albion have an 'official' beer, airline, burger, bank, travel agency, mobile phone network, soft drink etc etc.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The only time I met Ken Brown was when he first joined. I was parked in the car park at Carlisle and he came and knocked on my window and introduced himself asked how far I has come and had a little chat. Seemed a nice chap.

That does sound good... I met him later in his Albion tenure and he gave me the impression that the opinions of supporters are unimportant: basically only someone of his level of business acumen can provide an opinion on what's best for our club... I still think he is an arrogant t0sser and glad he found the exit door...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I should have just gone to Wikipedia to back that point!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Barber_(soccer_administrator) says the following about his time in Vancouver...

Barber re-launched the Vancouver Whitecaps brand and agreed a number of major sponsorships with telecommunications giant Bell Canada, EA Sports, Budwesier, Kia Motors, BMO Bank, Rogers Sportsnet TV, and TEAM 1040 Radio. In all, it was reported that the club signed a total of 25 new commercial agreements in a 24 month period while Barber was Chief Executive Officer

...and this about his work at the FA...

Barber is credited with the creation of FA Partners, The FA's lucrative commercial programme which ran between 2002 and 2006, securing major agreements with McDonald's, Pepsi, Carlsberg, Nationwide Building Society, British Airways, and Umbro.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Promising stuff, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. It's an interesting time. Barely four years ago we really were a little club, but if he can attract that sort of sponsor to the club we are going to be quite big soon - however I'll bet that will mean waving goodbye to cosy discussions with fans on whether to stock Harveys or Dark Star...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He wasn't specific at all, but one thing someone did suggest while we were nattering before the meeting (and I'm not saying that this is going to happen - and it's not a sleight on B&H Jobs) was that we ought to be able to attract a big-name shirt sponsor.

Their sponsorship ends after this season doesn't it? Would not be at all surprised if the club goes and finds a big money sponsor

I like the fact we've had plenty of sponsors with local connections but we're becoming bigger and more professional, and I think we'll need to take that next sponsorship step to help us move forward

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For instance - though this wasn't mentioned at all - the stands are still not sponsored...

I thought the reason why the stands are not sponsored was because of the rift between TB and DK, with TB taking the 'I'd rather have no named stands than one with Dick Knight's name on it' approach.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
He is currently reading Build A Bonfire and We Want Falmer, and getting himself familiarised with the culture and history of the Albion, the fans and the stadium.

What he said he has no intention of doing is bumping up prices in order to take the piss out of loyal fans.

It was suggested that if he really wants the club to be successful, one of his assignments would be to make Brighton a Spurs / Chelsea / Arsenal / Man U-free zone.

I like him

A lot.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Yeah, it was a light-hearted comment, but more pointing towards the whole inclusive thing of 'if you live around here, it's only right you support Brighton...' sort of thing.

Really, I live half-way between Reading and Swindon, and I have NEVER had a supporter of either club suggest that to me..........

If any Brighton fan suggested that to someone living in Brighton I would feel personally affronted. It comes across as being not only incredibly arrogant, but patronising as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Promising stuff, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. It's an interesting time. Barely four years ago we really were a little club, but if he can attract that sort of sponsor to the club we are going to be quite big soon - however I'll bet that will mean waving goodbye to cosy discussions with fans on whether to stock Harveys or Dark Star...

He did have it impressed upon him - and this will happen at board level too - about the culture of local pride here; Harvey's and Piglet's being two examples. I think he took it on board, and understands this point.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He did have it impressed upon him - and this will happen at board level too - about the culture of local pride here; Harvey's and Piglet's being two examples. I think he took it on board, and understands this point.
I hope you're right, and I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I suppose ideally we'd want to see an official beer that is available everywhere and on all the promotion material, side-by-side with a local one.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Really, I live half-way between Reading and Swindon, and I have NEVER had a supporter of either club suggest that to me..........

If any Brighton fan suggested that to someone living in Brighton I would feel personally affronted. It comes across as being not only incredibly arrogant, but patronising as well.

But i'm assuming you had Brighton connections to begin supporting us?

I think you have taken Barber's comments to literally there. It clearly means, instead of 'choosing' a top 4 team to support, we really want people to start supporting Brighton as their home club. It's hardly a shocking statement.

D

Deleted member 22389

All sounds positive. I don't blame TB for hiring someone like this. The club needs more money. Arsenal are probably the only club doing it the right way at the moment. Sensible spending, will put Arsenal in a safe place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
that will mean waving goodbye to cosy discussions with fans on whether to stock Harveys or Dark Star...

It's all positive then.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

but if I read this right, he is a hard nose business man, therefore if he struck a deal with say Carling to provide alcohol for the stadium that gives us extra funds for players or Pukka Pies etc, harveys and Piglets will be dispatched pretty quickly.

We are now moving on from a little seaside family club that the supporters knew the directors by first name and moving into teh corporate world of money generation.

Now I would hazzard a guess that 90% of our younger fans will think this is great being brought up on a diet of corporate TV, Sky etc etc and I would also think some of the fans who have been "close" to the clubs management will have their noses put out of joint.

Welcome to the Brave New World

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's all positive then.
I know you're JOSHING there but it is a fine line to tread. I think most of us want the club to be competitive and the club of choice for local football fans, but do we want the club to sell it's soul in order to inevitably find the wages of someone like Joey Barton? I look at clubs like QPR and Blackburn and pity their supporters really. Their owners don't give a f*** about people who have been involved for decades.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
but if I read this right, he is a hard nose business man, therefore if he struck a deal with say Carling to provide alcohol for the stadium that gives us extra funds for players or Pukka Pies etc, harveys and Piglets will be dispatched pretty quickly.

We are now moving on from a little seaside family club that the supporters knew the directors by first name and moving into teh corporate world of money generation.

Now I would hazzard a guess that 90% of our younger fans will think this is great being brought up on a diet of corporate TV, Sky etc etc and I would also think some of the fans who have been "close" to the clubs management will have their noses put out of joint.

Welcome to the Brave New World

It's a bit of a shame, but I'd rather we are a successful club playing in a fantastic stadium watching fantastic players and having to put up with some dodgy lager and pies and a bit of corporate / plasticness*, than being a shit third tier club playing in the worst ground in the league but being able to pretend I am friends with the Chairman.

*I draw the line at goal music. The day we bring it in is the day I start watching non-league football.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I,m sure Paul Barbers job (amongst others...encouraging more outside investment) will be considerably easier, if we have a succesful team on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here