Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - first impressions

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
About 20 people - FFA bods, Seagulls Over Burwash, among others - were invited to an 'get to meet you' gathering in Dick's Bar yesterday evening.

In introducing himself, he wanted to point out that while is presently getting to meet and greet people, getting his feet under the table etc. What he wants is good communication between himself and the supporters - in effect, to be approachable on any matter relating to the running of the Albion.

He is a genuinely mad-keen football fan - a dyed-in-the-wool Tottenham Hotspur fan, for which he did have the good grace to apologise. He is currently reading Build A Bonfire and We Want Falmer, and getting himself familiarised with the culture and history of the Albion, the fans and the stadium.

One of his remits (I'm paraphrasing) is take it to the next level financially. He accepts that, in doing so, he wishes to do so by inviting outside money in, there may be occasions where he has to be seen as the bad guy by doing something unpopular. Should something like that happen, he says, he is always prepared to listen and consider alternatives and suggestions from fans. What he said he has no intention of doing is bumping up prices in order to take the piss out of loyal fans.

It was suggested that if he really wants the club to be successful, one of his assignments would be to make Brighton a Spurs / Chelsea / Arsenal / Man U-free zone.

What we also got was a historical perspective from inside the FA around the time of the Archer / Bellotti days. The thing that came up most often was just how far David Davies had to go out on a limb from within the culture of the FA in order to help Brighton.

First impressions - a good signing. One has to take what he says at face value, especially as at present there is no other way to take him. He certainly talks a good talk. But, yeah - a decent bloke who does seem to be on the ball.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've not heard a bad thing about him yet

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can't be worse than Ken Brown, who seemed to have very little respect for supporters in general when I met him... Paul B, on the other hand, definitely came across very well in his interviews in the media on joining... has specifically stated that he wants an open dialogue with fans... very promising IMHO...

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Good to hear that he has the hardcore support in mind while still trying to make money for the club.

My biggest fear is, while enjoying this amazing new era, I get priced out of supporting the club I love.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It was suggested that if he really wants the club to be successful, one of his assignments would be to make Brighton a Spurs / Chelsea / Arsenal / Man U-free zone.

Cheers for the update - very interesting. Just a comment on the above. Did he mean trying to get kids in Brighton supporting the local team rather than established premiership big boys? Will be interesting to see how they go about doing that.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Can't be worse than Ken Brown, who seemed to have very little respect for supporters in general when I met him... Paul B, on the other hand, definitely came across very well in his interviews in the media on joining... has specifically stated that he wants an open dialogue with fans... very promising IMHO...

The only time I met Ken Brown was when he first joined. I was parked in the car park at Carlisle and he came and knocked on my window and introduced himself asked how far I has come and had a little chat. Seemed a nice chap.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm excited about his potential, his links and experience can only benefit the club. I'm skeptical of bringing in outside money, did he explain what he meant by this? Nonetheless, Tony and the board are really thinking long-term for the club, we can only get better and bigger.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've not heard a bad thing about him yet
His last job was Vancouver Whitecaps. If you go to one of their forums you'll find they haven't got a good thing to say about him.

As for me, I'll reserve judgement for when he starts in earnest. I can't imagine you'd get any idea of his level of competence from his one and only fan meeting, sensible though it is for him to introduce himself to our various prominent fan groups...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Anyone know if he uses twitter and have a link?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cheers for the update - very interesting. Just a comment on the above. Did he mean trying to get kids in Brighton supporting the local team rather than established premiership big boys? Will be interesting to see how they go about doing that.

Yeah, it was a light-hearted comment, but more pointing towards the whole inclusive thing of 'if you live around here, it's only right you support Brighton...' sort of thing.

To be fair, the club has made big strides towards this already - and this is just a continuation of it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
About 20 people - FFA bods, Seagulls Over Burwash, among others - were invited to an 'get to meet you' gathering in Dick's Bar yesterday evening.

In introducing himself, he wanted to point out that while is presently getting to meet and greet people, getting his feet under the table etc. What he wants is good communication between himself and the supporters - in effect, to be approachable on any matter relating to the running of the Albion.

He is a genuinely mad-keen football fan - a dyed-in-the-wool Tottenham Hotspur fan, for which he did have the good grace to apologise. He is currently reading Build A Bonfire and We Want Falmer, and getting himself familiarised with the culture and history of the Albion, the fans and the stadium.

One of his remits (I'm paraphrasing) is take it to the next level financially. He accepts that, in doing so, he wishes to do so by inviting outside money in, there may be occasions where he has to be seen as the bad guy by doing something unpopular. Should something like that happen, he says, he is always prepared to listen and consider alternatives and suggestions from fans. What he said he has no intention of doing is bumping up prices in order to take the piss out of loyal fans.

What we also got was a historical perspective from inside the FA around the time of the Archer / Bellotti days. The thing that came up most often was just how far David Davies had to go out on a limb from within the culture of the FA in order to help Brighton.

First impressions - a good signing. One has to take what he says at face value, especially as at present there is no other way to take him. He certainly talks a good talk. But, yeah - a decent bloke who does seem to be on the ball.

Thanks for that - very interesting, and glad to hear he's reading Build a Bonfire/we want Falmer, and confirming what we knew about David Davies.

I'm not quite sure what he means by... "by inviting outside money in, there may be occasions where he has to be seen as the bad guy" perhaps you could clarify please?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
His last job was Vancouver Whitecaps. If you go to one of their forums you'll find they haven't got a good thing to say about him.

As for me, I'll reserve judgement for when he starts in earnest. I can't imagine you'd get any idea of his level of competence from his one and only fan meeting, sensible though it is for him to introduce himself to our various prominent fan groups...

He acknowledges he wasn't very popular there.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This sounds like a big step forward in the club's thinking. I love what's going on at the moment but, I suspect, in over time there will be quite a few things the long-standing fans aren't happy about at all. Once we're established in the Premier League, I'd be astonished if we don't eventually sell out to an overseas investor, allowing TB to get his money back.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Simster - what sort of things are levelled against him with regard to Vancouver Whitecaps...? I guess the main danger is that everything just becomes very expensive for fans...?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster - what sort of things are levelled against him with regard to Vancouver Whitecaps...? I guess the main danger is that everything just becomes very expensive for fans...?
From what I recall, the main bone of contention was not listening to supporters, the consequence of which was that season ticket sales fell from 17,000 to 15,000 this season.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, it was a light-hearted comment, but more pointing towards the whole inclusive thing of 'if you live around here, it's only right you support Brighton...' sort of thing.

To be fair, the club has made big strides towards this already - and this is just a continuation of it.

Absolutely agree and the knock-on effect of the big crowds for the new stadium and the expansion mean it can only get easier. Add in signing of Vicente and the other class players that should help attract and it's all looking rosy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here