Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - first impressions

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have a choice of Fosters (shit), Strongbow (shit) and Harveys (not to my taste really). This has absolutely no impact on my usage of concourse facilities before, during or after matches. I stay for the ambience, mates, chitter chatter and transport queue avoidance - both to and from games. Like many, I've spent a fortune. Many I'm with will drink whatever is the quickest to obtain - often Harveys - I doubt we're alone in that.

(This collective Harveys related back-slapping is also a bit off when lager and cider drinkers have been largely abandoned when it comes to on-concourse drinking.)

Lager drinkers have Fosters!

I don't disagree after the game, although I think people do only stay beyond their first post-match pint because of the quality of the beer. But I am hapy to get to the ground early and I would not do that if it was just Fosters.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have a choice of Fosters (shit), Strongbow (shit) and Harveys (not to my taste really). This has absolutely no impact on my usage of concourse facilities before, during or after matches. I stay for the ambience, mates, chitter chatter and transport queue avoidance - both to and from games. Like many, I've spent a fortune. Many I'm with will drink whatever is the quickest to obtain - often Harveys - I doubt we're alone in that.

(This collective Harveys related back-slapping is also a bit off when lager and cider drinkers have been largely abandoned when it comes to on-concourse drinking.)

You forgot Kronenberg (shit). But yeah, I've drunk a fair amount of Harveys this season for the sole reason that it is the quickest to obtain. I don't really like it, and I'd never order it in a pub. Same goes with the plastic bottles of Fosters they sell from the mobile kiosks in the North.

As long as they have one draught lager on sale, it wouldn't make one single iota of difference as to what time I got to, or left the ground, or how much I purchased, on a matchday. Let's be honest, after two or three and a game of football in the freezing cold and served in a horrible plastic glass, it all tastes the same anyway.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I don't disagree after the game, although I think people do only stay beyond their first post-match pint because of the quality of the beer. But I am hapy to get to the ground early and I would not do that if it was just Fosters.

I don't, I got sick of the queing like cattle and waiting for 40 mins outside in the elements at the train station, I would stay behind whatever was on offer to avoid the queue and have a natter

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But there must be a big % of the crowd that would drink and eat any old thing on sale, people don't go to the ground for the pies and ale and if they served John Smiths and Pukka Pies for many it wouldn't matter

Bozza puts this point better than me above

I'm sure that there is a hefty percentage of the crowd who will drink 'anything'.

However, what we've got is an enormous beer sales figure because the product is good (I really think the local pride angle is undersold). Anecdotally, what we have is the difference between staying behind and drinking, say, two pints and drinking three pints. I, for instance, will drink Kronenbourg, if pushed, but would much prefer a Harvey's. If no Harvey's was on offer, I'd go for a pint or two of Kronenbourg. If Harvey's is on, I'll go for three or four of them. That's the difference I'm talking about in commercial terms.

If only Fosters is on, I'll have a cup of tea.

Bozza says it's 'exceptions' who will only drink certain beers. While I'd say it's by no means the majority, I would say it's far more than 'exceptions'. I'd more say 'a significant minority' - a number the club have no need to lose, sales-wise.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm glad we don't sell chips. Have you noticed how the Amex smells so much nicer than other grounds? That's why.

Going back to this 'local' point again, I think it matters to about 1% of the customers (don't forget that's what they are), if that. Nobody else really cares. Certainly as far as the pies go, anyway.

And I think people drink Harveys because they like Ale, and a lot of football grounds don't serve it, rather than because it comes from Sussex.

I agree about the chips. It was a point about Piglets Pantry not being the only food stuff that would sell well. And if it wasn't Harveys, but say Wells - I would drink it of course. But not the same quantities. Hopefully this Barber chap will not attempt to fix what is not broken, and will concentrate on what is not working.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think you're wrong. There may be exceptions, such as your good self, but by and large people would rather have a beer of almost any sort and have a leisurely chat with chums than stand, sans beer, for 45 minutes in a barely moving queue for a train. More so if the weather is shite.

The Harveys sales figures are fantastic, certainly, but I know of many, including myself, who bought Harveys often because it was the easy option, due to the mobile kegs and short queues. It was far from my first choice but, echoing my point above, some beer was better than both a long queue for a beer and having no beer at all.

I've even bought pints of Fosters for some right real ale fiends, because Harveys had run out. Again some beer > no beer.

All that said, that's not to say I advocate the abandonment of the local produce we all enjoy, but I think some overplay the impact on 'the Amex success story'.

I have to disagree with you it runs deeper than that and I think you are underestimating the power of the pull of real ale. I am not saying most of the crowd are ale drinkers but the spending proportion is significant and there is a knock on affect. My son does not drink Harveys but if I no longer go for a beer then I will not buy his coke and crisps either, also in mixed groups where half the group drink ale and half drink lager would they split or all drink in town before/after games. Do not underestimate the real influence this has on the overall spending dynamics, it is part of what makes us different to other grounds. rightly or wrongly I for one am very fussy about what I drink, and I would go elsewhere before the game if only Fosters and John smiths was available.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Fosters is vile. And I don't really understand, how can Harveys out of a a keg be classed as top quality beer? Surely it isn't as good as it it in a pub? If most people were really bothered about the quality of beer after a match, then they'd just go to a pub instead.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't, I got sick of the queing like cattle and waiting for 40 mins outside in the elements at the train station, I would stay behind whatever was on offer to avoid the queue and have a natter

I have done both - when the Harveys has run out. Stayed and drunk Fosters, and departed early for town. I don't think there are any conclusions to be drawn!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You forgot Kronenberg (shit). But yeah, I've drunk a fair amount of Harveys this season for the sole reason that it is the quickest to obtain. I don't really like it, and I'd never order it in a pub. Same goes with the plastic bottles of Fosters they sell from the mobile kiosks in the North.

As long as they have one draught lager on sale, it wouldn't make one single iota of difference as to what time I got to, or left the ground, or how much I purchased, on a matchday. Let's be honest, after two or three and a game of football in the freezing cold and served in a horrible plastic glass, it all tastes the same anyway.

this...... i couldnt tell the difference between fosters, carlsberg, carling, heineken, after the fist 2 sips it all tastes the same, and on away days I don't not eat and drink, i pick from whats available

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I agree about the chips. It was a point about Piglets Pantry not being the only food stuff that would sell well. And if it wasn't Harveys, but say Wells - I would drink it of course. But not the same quantities. Hopefully this Barber chap will not attempt to fix what is not broken, and will concentrate on what is not working.

in saying that, i have tried a burger and a hotdog once and thought they were both shit, not in the same league as the pies. Would be happy if they were reviewed

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Fosters is vile. And I don't really understand, how can Harveys out of a a keg be classed as top quality beer? Surely it isn't as good as it it in a pub? If most people were really bothered about the quality of beer after a match, then they'd just go to a pub instead.

It is bright beer isn't it. It is a quality pint, and if it is not as good as the pint down your local it is bloomin excellent for a concourse (as well as being there and available) plus all your mates are there as well. It would be an odd person who leaves his mates behind to leave to get a marginally better pint down a pub.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
agree........ the current food and beverage sales will bring x amount of millions, hold that up against shirt sponsorship at y millions. If someone like Carlsberg or Carling etc would sponsor our shirts for 3y millions in return for exclusivity on certain beers and that brings in a much higher net return overall the club will implement it.

Alcohol sponsorship on shirts is no longer allowed in the UK I believe, hence why Liverpool is now Standard Chartered and not Carlsberg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's rubbish though isn't it? For all the real ale v lager snobbery and, yes, I know not all are like that - lager doesn't have to mean mass-produced tasteless piss. I'm not a lager drinker either - [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] can cover this a lot better than me.

Cider then. Strongbow - thanks for that. I'm a cider drinker and I'd probably choose Harveys over Strongbow.

If I'm sounding all "Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", I'm not. The Amex is fantabulous and I love it muchly. I just disagree on some of the points that have been made. We all seem to agree that Azure have been dreadful though - think how much could be sold with a canny operator in situ.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think you're wrong. There may be exceptions, such as your good self, but by and large people would rather have a beer of almost any sort and have a leisurely chat with chums than stand, sans beer, for 45 minutes in a barely moving queue for a train. More so if the weather is shite.

The Harveys sales figures are fantastic, certainly, but I know of many, including myself, who bought Harveys often because it was the easy option, due to the mobile kegs and short queues. It was far from my first choice but, echoing my point above, some beer was better than both a long queue for a beer and having no beer at all.

I've even bought pints of Fosters for some right real ale fiends, because Harveys had run out. Again some beer > no beer.

All that said, that's not to say I advocate the abandonment of the local produce we all enjoy, but I think some overplay the impact on 'the Amex success story'.

.....and I think that you're underplaying the importance of Harvey's (& Piglet's pies!); the Large One's views are shared by more than just a few "exceptions" and you're expressing a lager drinkers view.

Every time that Harvey's hasn't been available in WSL after the match then my group of 8 friends head off to the the Swan, Brighton or Lewes. (and if we catch the train then we certainly don't wait 45 minutes)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's rubbish though isn't it? For all the real ale v lager snobbery and, yes, I know not all are like that - lager doesn't have to mean mass-produced tasteless piss. I'm not a lager drinker either - [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] can cover this a lot better than me.

Cider then. Strongbow - thanks for that. I'm a cider drinker and I'd probably choose Harveys over Strongbow.

If I'm sounding all "Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", I'm not. The Amex is fantabulous and I love it muchly. I just disagree on some of the points that have been made. We all seem to agree that Azure have been dreadful though - think how much could be sold with a canny operator in situ.

to long in the west country Bozza, what next driving your tractor to the amex..... oooooh aaahhhh!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It would be an odd person who leaves his mates behind to leave to get a marginally better pint down a pub.

Which kind of goes against what people are saying about staying behind for the quality of the produce.

The novelty factor is that you can stay behind in the ground and continue drinking in a football atmosphere until 8pm, it's not that they sell local beer. I'm not saying get rid of Harveys' by any means, the club seem to sell loads of it. But that's because Ale drinkers like to drink Ale, not because of local pride.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is bright beer isn't it. It is a quality pint, and if it is not as good as the pint down your local it is bloomin excellent for a concourse (as well as being there and available) plus all your mates are there as well. It would be an odd person who leaves his mates behind to leave to get a marginally better pint down a pub.

The proximity of a decent boozer is also problematic. You can't exactly walk out of the Amex and straight into a boozer. That being the case, I'm delighted that the Amex has sought to offer (or at least nod towards) some decent beers. I'm in no way against lager. CAMRA isn't anti lager. I am anti-piss-poor-lager that is bought in more for convenience that actually putting any money in the coffers. Also, we have to remember that Carlsberg aren't a major local employer in the community. I'd be well hacked off if our club couldn't see it within its responsibilities to back its local brewer (anyhow, I don't think that time will come.)

Catering, one hopes, will get sorted in time for next season. It would be nice not to 'run out' of everything. Really shouldn't happen.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm glad we don't sell chips. Have you noticed how the Amex smells so much nicer than other grounds? That's why.

Going back to this 'local' point again, I think it matters to about 1% of the customers (don't forget that's what they are), if that. Nobody else really cares. Certainly as far as the pies go, anyway.

And I think people drink Harveys because they like Ale, and a lot of football grounds don't serve it, rather than because it comes from Sussex.

Not so long ago, I am sure you said the pies make the stadium smell greasy....

If they got rid of the Kronenbourg, I would not get to the ground at 1pm on a Saturday and I certainly would not be leaving after 6pm as I did last season. Kronenbourg is not my favourite lager but it is certainly better than Foster's, Carlsberg, Carling etc. Although the majority may not be like me but I am sure there will be a signicant number that would be.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Which kind of goes against what people are saying about staying behind for the quality of the produce.

The novelty factor is that you can stay behind in the ground and continue drinking in a football atmosphere until 8pm, it's not that they sell local beer. I'm not saying get rid of Harveys' by any means, the club seem to sell loads of it. But that's because Ale drinkers like to drink Ale, not because of local pride.

I'm not so sure that is strictly true. It's very tribal isn't it. Ale drinkers like ale, but they are also much more likely to be interested in local produce and wish to champion that. Lager drinkers won't have that same attachment to the produce (I'm not attacking lager drinkers for that.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here