Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not quite the distances everyone else has posted but then I don’t always remember to hit record on strava.

Managed c370 miles for 2020, much more prolific in first lockdown where it felt I escaped maybe 3-5 times a week on modest distances.

Gave up refined sugar in 2nd lockdown but saw no marked improvement to my times or endurance so knocked that on the head and instead since then I’ve tried to challenge myself on inclines - such that they are around my way - and have been impressed with some of my split times.

Through next year I want to consistently achieve sub 9 minute miles and compete in at least 2 x 5km, 2 x 10km and my first HM.

Thanks to all for the encouragement on this thread and the invaluable sharing of tips for recovery etc.

Have a good running start to 2021. It can’t get much worse.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Gentle 6km today to finish off the year. 2020 was a good year for running volume: total of 3171km which is my highest ever, by a country kilometre, and I've never got much over 2000km in previous years.

A Strava friend has just pointed out that my year total is 20 miles short of 2000 miles. Luckily, as per previous discussions on this thread, I don't care to set targets in archaic measurement systems, so failure to reach this "mile" stone is irrelevant to me.

I'm even more pleased with my Covid run streak, which started around the date of lockdown 1, and which reaches 285 days of daily running today, and I'm clearly (bar injury) on course for 300 days or possibly a full year of daily running.

Speed-wise, my year was much less impressive. I've not come near any PBs, which I put down to my advanced age (65) and the relative lack of speed work in my training this year. Races have been virtually non-existent. Apart from a few parkruns in Jan/Feb (and as we know, these aren't races), I only managed two races (Brighton Half, and Beachy Head half), both in respectable but short-of-PB times.

Next year, I'm going to work hard on running form and technique (I've read a very interesting new book on this recently - "Shane Benzie: The Lost Art of Running" - which, although I don't know how much science is behind it, has given me a different way of looking at running form, and I'm going to give it a go), and try to get some more speedwork and races in.

I wish all of NSC running thread contributors and aficionados a happy, and injury-free New Year.

I'm looking forward to reading The Lost Art of Running after hearing good things about it and interested in checking out his online running tutorials at https://runningreborn.com/. I think there's always room for improvement when it comes to running technique and form to progress in our running. I know I could do with giving this more focus. #marginalgains :)

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I finished on 1007 miles. I’m so grateful to have a love of running it’s been an invaluable release this year.

Happy New Year fellow runners. Look forward to actually running some races together again in 2021.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
End of Year Report for me

1531miles which is over 500 more than 2019 and more than 100000 feet of climbing.

No pbs and hardly any events (possibly just Bedgebury but that doesn’t count as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] beat me), a handful of parkruns and 42 notparkruns.

Despite all the shit this year, I have enjoyed running more than ever - especially up on the Downs which were huge place of solace and reflection for me especially during the first lockdown. I remember the feeling of it being spring, the greenery and the blue skies were a massive positive on my mental health at the time.
Leaving my company after 32 years in July has also meant I have had much more time to run and I have loved regularly running 3x10 mile+ runs a week.

Happy New Year to you all and thanks as ever for the support and inspiration that this thread brings.

I’ll sign off with my favourite photo of the Downs this year. Heres to 2021 and meeting up next year!
View attachment 131944

Great photo and in total agreement over running on the Downs. I should have mentioned this in my 2020 review, that spending a lot more time up there and now having the confidence to know my way around was great for me.

It’s been nice to mix up some seafront long runs with some big ones on the Downs.

My first run after isolation may well be up there if the days continues to be bright and sunny.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm looking forward to reading The Lost Art of Running after hearing good things about it and interested in checking out his online running tutorials at https://runningreborn.com/. I think there's always room for improvement when it comes to running technique and form to progress in our running. I know I could do with giving this more focus. #marginalgains :)

As I'm in pompous old git mode can I thank you, and I'm sure this is on behalf of all of us, for your consistently helpful advice to individuals and to all, so generously given over the year.

PS and you are a sh*t-hot runner too!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As I'm in pompous old git mode can I thank you, and I'm sure this is on behalf of all of us, for your consistently helpful advice to individuals and to all, so generously given over the year.

Can you win both runner and coach of the year? A certain candidate for both.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Despite the rubbish year with very little racing and parkruns, it's brilliant to read the NSC Runners year of running reports. Fantastic running everyone! :clap2:

I've closed out 2020 running a total of 3,312 miles which I'm super happy with. It's more miles than what I was expecting to run but once the year was turned upside down I was pretty determined to make the best of a bad situation and look to kick on with my running as it's given me the one constant positive when everything else has been so dark and turbulent.

With so few races to take part in it's been all about running for fun this year and I've probably just got the two highlights in 2020. Running a half marathon PB of 1:15:58 at the London Big Half back in early March (which feels like a lifetime ago now) and another complete niggle-free year of running.

I'm hoping that all of the building of the aerobic foundation running this year will hold me in good stead to reap the rewards with faster race times next year when we can get out and race. The most pleasing thing is that I'm feeling aerobically stronger than I did this time last year which is a positive sign that the process is working.

Happy New Year guys! Here's to a healthy and happy year of running for Team NSC Runners in 2021! :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Thanks for the kind words GNT! :thumbsup:

I'm aware my enthusiasm for all things running can at times have a tendency to overspill into being a running bore when getting into "running talk" (I think my very patient and supportive family would testify to that :lol:) so it's something I'm mindful of, but it's great to have this thread for us to share our running adventures and any insights along the way as we're always learning. With the infinite benefits to getting out of the door for a run, I think we're the lucky ones.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
My New Years resolution is 1000 miles, planning a 7 miler to start off the year, problem is that I am currently drinking 57% woods navy rum.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] definitely gets my vote for the NSC Runners "Runner of the Year" Award. Phenomenal consistent progress in 2020! :clap2: If only he would take a rest day now and again. :lol:

Official result announced (subject to ratification from the Gaffer): Bozza and Big Nuts involved in a sprint finish. Bozza does a 'Colin Jackson dip' at the tape and after several hours of analysing the video footage, Bozza is indeed awarded the prize.

The panel (of one) remarks that the overall standard of running and thread posts this year was remarkably high and looks forward to seeing all NSC runners achieving their goals in 2021 - and even more importantly sharing their triumphs and frustrations with all.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm sure this has been asked many times in this huge thread, but how would you suggest a middle aged over weight non runner gets started? (Be kind)

I did a 10k a few years ago in 53 mins, but I was doing a lot of spin at the time. Nothing to draw on now, so starting from scratch. Will drop some pounds to ease the pressure on my knees.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm sure this has been asked many times in this huge thread, but how would you suggest a middle aged over weight non runner gets started? (Be kind)

I did a 10k a few years ago in 53 mins, but I was doing a lot of spin at the time. Nothing to draw on now, so starting from scratch. Will drop some pounds to ease the pressure on my knees.

Welcome. I've never used it but I know many people swear by the 'Couch to 5k' programme. I think the key is to set pretty modest goals. All the very best - and looking forward to hearing progress,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Welcome. I've never used it but I know many people swear by the 'Couch to 5k' programme. I think the key is to set pretty modest goals. All the very best - and looking forward to hearing progress,

Absolutely this - it’s a brilliant programme - my old running club were using it under Run England auspices for the beginners. Given you’ve run a bit before you might find it a bit easy after the first few sessions (you’ll be surprised at how quickly you can progress with consistent training) - if that’s the case there’s no reason why you can’t accelerate through the plan.

You can download the programme onto your phone and it literally talks you through each session as you go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here