Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I received a Garmin chest strap HRM for Xmas so I’ve decided to try out MAF training for the first time. I’ve a super-fit mate who swears by it. Plus I’m recovering from a hamstring injury so seems like a good time to try it out. In fact I’ve never really looked at my HR when training, I’ve only ever focused on time and distance.

Went out yesterday and ran 8km at a constant 150bpm. The pace was really slow, over 7min/KM, so felt quite unnatural, especially being lapped by grannies! But I’m going to stick with it. I’ll keep posting progress here for anyone who’s interested!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I received a Garmin chest strap HRM for Xmas so I’ve decided to try out MAF training for the first time. I’ve a super-fit mate who swears by it. Plus I’m recovering from a hamstring injury so seems like a good time to try it out. In fact I’ve never really looked at my HR when training, I’ve only ever focused on time and distance.

Went out yesterday and ran 8km at a constant 150bpm. The pace was really slow, over 7min/KM, so felt quite unnatural, especially being lapped by grannies! But I’m going to stick with it. I’ll keep posting progress here for anyone who’s interested!

If you don't watch Kofuzi on YouTube, it might be worth taking a look as he went through a period of following Maffetone training.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Respectable!! I dream of getting over the 70% barrier again!

I'd forgotten about Age Grade scores, so I've just plugged my recent bests into the calculator and I'm well happy, as I recall seeing those with 70%+ scores and thinking that was likely unobtainable for me...

5km 19:11 74.59%
10km 41:32 71.91%
10m 1:10:36 70.79%
HM 1:34:48 70.03%

Interesting trend there, too, which suggests stamina isn't really my thing!

I'm still plodding through my runstreak. I needed to go to my Mum's on Christmas Day to drop off presents so I decided to run there and back to kill two birds with one stone. It was a bitter morning, and I found it's also quite difficult to run when, essentially, you only have one arm - I had a carrier bag full of presents in one hand for the first half!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Mrs H bought me one for Xmas but hasn’t arrived yet. I got it as have a couple of friends using Myzone who have seen huge gains in performance so thought I’d give it a try.
I haven’t tried MAF and struggle to run deliberately slowly but would be good to see how you get on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mrs H bought me one for Xmas but hasn’t arrived yet. I got it as have a couple of friends using Myzone who have seen huge gains in performance so thought I’d give it a try.
I haven’t tried MAF and struggle to run deliberately slowly but would be good to see how you get on.

Baz and I used to do our Tri training with a hrm. It was impossible for both of us 10 years ago to run 10” mile pace or faster at 130bpm. So we only used for cycling.
Now having a fair idea of my training levels I use a pace calculator.
These are based on current fitness at 23” 5K

A3093CAA-7441-414D-9968-60B5C3A8B612.jpeg

Then in 2 months I should be on this

AF382091-4834-4D70-BBF6-89F9CCDDA06E.jpeg

80% to 90% of my winter base training will be around 9” mile pace.

Enjoy the HRM!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Baz and I used to do our Tri training with a hrm. It was impossible for both of us 10 years ago to run 10” mile pace or faster at 130bpm. So we only used for cycling.
Now having a fair idea of my training levels I use a pace calculator.
These are based on current fitness at 23” 5K

View attachment 131814

Then in 2 months I should be on this

View attachment 131816

80% to 90% of my winter base training will be around 9” mile pace.

Enjoy the HRM!

Thanks. The Myzone app monitors how you train and then suggests targeted workouts. I haven’t used it as waiting for the strap but have heard good things.

That’s seems an amazing marathon time based on 23 minute miles. Is that the target for Moleyman?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A very belated Merry Christmas to you all.

Around 2150km (1335 miles) for me this year. Nothing like the distance some of you have done but I've never really been one for putting in big mileage expecially when I stopped training in March. I'm just happy I've still been able to get out regularly and keep myself in good shape.

I managed to get out for a wintery Boxing Day run yesterday. I love fresh snow.

Screenshot_2020-12-27 Strava Runner Profile Charlie Needham.png

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks. The Myzone app monitors how you train and then suggests targeted workouts. I haven’t used it as waiting for the strap but have heard good things.

That’s seems an amazing marathon time based on 23 minute miles. Is that the target for Moleyman?

I wish! 😁
The calculators are based on, a tiny written 23” and 21” tiny written 5k time.

If I get a Moyleman place, I’ll be very happy with a 5 hour to 5:30 finish time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Around 2150km (1335 miles) for me this year. Nothing like the distance some of you have done but I've never really been one for putting in big mileage expecially when I stopped training in March. I'm just happy I've still been able to get out regularly and keep myself in good shape.

View attachment 131824

That powdery snow looks lovely. Haven’t run on any for 3 years now. 🌨🌨

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Declaring my year end figures now.

The NHS app has told me to isolate for 7 days due to a contact (haven't a clue where or when!)

So my running streak has ended at 285 days.

Miles for the year of 1677, previous highest was 1317 in 2019

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Declaring my year end figures now.

The NHS app has told me to isolate for 7 days due to a contact (haven't a clue where or when!)

So my running streak has ended at 285 days.

Miles for the year of 1677, previous highest was 1317 in 2019

Laps of the garden? It's what I did during Lockdown 1 if my one exercise slot for the day had been taken up walking the dog. I think I even did laps of the lounge for about an hour on one day.

D

Deleted member 2719

Laps of the garden? It's what I did during Lockdown 1 if my one exercise slot for the day had been taken up walking the dog. I think I even did laps of the lounge for about an hour on one day.

That makes my knees hurt even thinking about it, did you alternate between clockwise and anti-clockwise?

D

Deleted member 2719

Just been out skating/running and I am now closing in on my target for the year.:)

I am currently on target to hit my biggest ever month target as I had to do that to stand a crack of the yearly one!

Most of you guys probably achieved my target in a couple of months or so, but mine is ample for my life and I will have done an increase of 25% on last year. 400k for the year, you can tell I never used to run as I only use kilometres in running terms!

Perhaps my 2021 target should be to run more than 5k at a time !!!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

A great purchase! I'd definitely be interested in hearing about your progress. I'm a big fan of low heart rate running and I wear a chest heart rate monitor for the majority of my running. It's a game of patience but it works and I have it to thank for my improvements over the last few years (maintaining decent consistency in time spent running and significantly reducing the risk of niggles and injuries).

I think it's important to also incorporate a sprinkle of harder efforts now and again so I'm not a MAF purist, but I believe the general ethos of slowing down to get faster is 100% correct.

You might like to check out YouTube videos by the MAF advocate Floris Gierman. This interview with the rapid Leeds-based runner Jonathan Walton is really interesting for a running nerd like me. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6pwxJE5iVk&t=686s

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

That's a fantastic Xmas gift from Mrs H! :thumbsup: I think they are a really useful running tool to help improve.

Let us know how you get on!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

View attachment 131824

That looks awesome fun running Badger!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Really dicey icy conditions around the west of Burgess Hill this morning. Here is my route. 4.5 miles, 48 minutes. Some of the way, I had to run as though I'd soiled myself to prevent going cranium over rectum on the frozen lanes!

Attachments

• BH Run.JPG
    BH Run.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 59

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really dicey icy conditions around the west of Burgess Hill this morning. Here is my route. 4.5 miles, 48 minutes. Some of the way, I had to run as though I'd soiled myself to prevent going cranium over rectum on the frozen lanes!

I nearly lost it on a couple of corners yesterday around Burgess Hill too........ok today though

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Today I had done exactly 500 miles for the year, which was a nice, round, Proclaimer like number, but I wanted to go out today and Thursday and so I did 5 today and will look at 5 on Thursday to complete 510 for the year. Nowhere near the 1200 planned but given six and a half months totally out of action I'll take it.

"Slow" is also getting a little less slow. Able to comfortably weave between the Christmas walkers at a social distance at 9.30 min mile pace.

Other than a few glasses of wine on New Year's Eve am now planning a long dry spell to try and get some weight off me, I reckon I am nearly as fat and slow as when I first started in 2015.

I will aim for a conservative 1000 miles in 2021 but with three marathons entered it may end up more if I stay healthy and the training picks up.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another ORT regular sending belated seasonal greetings. I'm still plodding on, picking up Strava local legends as I go and dodging people (even at early o'clock) and icy surfaces as I go. Planning on a HM tomorrow morning to finish the year in style and just under 1,700 miles.

Here's to a fantastic 2021 for all of you. May all your running wishes come true. I only have one and that's another crack at Moyleman. Not sure how likely that will be, but fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here