Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Thanks all, I’ll take a look at the challengers. I only wore my gtx for warmth, agree I wouldn’t wear them if it’s chucking it down, but I run across fields a lot and in the early morning when the grass is wet and it’s about 0-5 degrees I find the gtx do keep my feet dry and warm. Agree they’re slightly heavier.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
You’re plenty fast enough anyway........

Oddly I don’t get cold feet, even when wet so I just stick to normal trainers and single layer thin socks. Problem for me is my fingers - even last weekend they were completely numb when I finished my jog (weather was pretty evil - wind and horizontal rain on the SDW) but it wasn’t freezing and I was wearing gloves.

3am is a different issue though isn’t it....I think you get so energy-depleted on the really long runs that it’s almost impossible to keep/get warm. I’ve seen a lot of races ruined (my own and as a volunteer) through people getting too cold to carry on - even in the dry.

All of that I never have to worry about again! Unless of course I feel the urge to do 24hr bike races! Yeah fingers are always risky.. but as long as you keep your wrists warm your fingys shouldn’t freeze.. hence why I normally have a snood wrapped around my wrists when cycling or running. Blood nearer the surface on your wrists.

Not looked at this thread since 2016 when I ran my last very slow marathon, but since March I’ve been running 5k six days a week (Saturday off usually) thanks to homeworking and getting rid of horrible London commute. Got my time down a fair bit but have plateaued around 21 minutes. Next year will try the longer distances again

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been a hit and miss return for me this month. Still have fleeting joint pain and have to rest till it's gone. Last Friday walked round the Chattri and the Beacon. Went weak and feet were sore to stand on for a couple of days. Also got restless leg syndrome at night for 3 days after every run.
On Monday I took an iron supplement and ate a kilo of mussels (mariniere beautiful). Been fighting fit ever since. 4 easy miles Tuesday and yesterday. Today did a mile in 4 intervals at 6:46 and feel marvellous. Now for an easy recovery weekend.

Have decided to mix in 1-2 miles each week at mile pace intervals for my speed form which is a different form of running to my marathon plod pace. i want to get faster in 2021!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hit 1,900 miles for the year this morning, and 138,000ft of elevation. Easily my highest annual total (particularly elevation) but feels a bit weird as I’ve only done 2 ‘actual’ races (lowest for a few years). The key to high mileage for me is simply not being injured and missing loads of weeks ! Been averaging 50+ per week since redundancy.

Definitely not got fitter or faster this year but if I can hang on until June I’ll hit a new parkrun age cat so might try to make the most of that [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Outside chance I might get to 2k, probably depends on Rioja and pigs in blankets intake over the next fortnight. [emoji106][emoji201]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hit 1,900 miles for the year this morning, and 138,000ft of elevation. Easily my highest annual total (particularly elevation) but feels a bit weird as I’ve only done 2 ‘actual’ races (lowest for a few years). The key to high mileage for me is simply not being injured and missing loads of weeks ! Been averaging 50+ per week since redundancy.

Definitely not got fitter or faster this year but if I can hang on until June I’ll hit a new parkrun age cat so might try to make the most of that [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Outside chance I might get to 2k, probably depends on Rioja and pigs in blankets intake over the next fortnight. [emoji106][emoji201]

I’ll pencil in being volunteer pacer next June. 🤮

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Been a hit and miss return for me this month. Still have fleeting joint pain and have to rest till it's gone. Last Friday walked round the Chattri and the Beacon. Went weak and feet were sore to stand on for a couple of days. Also got restless leg syndrome at night for 3 days after every run.
On Monday I took an iron supplement and ate a kilo of mussels (mariniere beautiful). Been fighting fit ever since. 4 easy miles Tuesday and yesterday. Today did a mile in 4 intervals at 6:46 and feel marvellous. Now for an easy recovery weekend.

Have decided to mix in 1-2 miles each week at mile pace intervals for my speed form which is a different form of running to my marathon plod pace. i want to get faster in 2021!

Good to hear this. In case you wanted to test your speed, there's a series of 5K runs in the new year at the Ardingly showground (see Sussex Races page). My mate was on marshalling duty at the last one and the standard is frighteningly high. Even Lowden didn't win his category and neither did The Gasson. Next one is on 2nd Jan which is too soon for you guess. I'm toying with the idea but my likely 23.00 would see me almost last in the entire field (the shame!), Worth checking out though. Good to hear you are on the way back but I wouldn't like to be downwind after that kilo of mussels.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to hear this. In case you wanted to test your speed, there's a series of 5K runs in the new year at the Ardingly showground (see Sussex Races page). My mate was on marshalling duty at the last one and the standard is frighteningly high. Even Lowden didn't win his category and neither did The Gasson. Next one is on 2nd Jan which is too soon for you guess. I'm toying with the idea but my likely 23.00 would see me almost last in the entire field (the shame!), Worth checking out though. Good to hear you are on the way back but I wouldn't like to be downwind after that kilo of mussels.

The mussels are more binding so you would be safe in the unlikely scenario of being downwind.
The series you mention looks good but I’ll avoid all races for at least two months.

You should give Ardingly a go and tempt a few from here.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Was hoping to do a real race on Sunday but was dependant on Kent coming out of tier 3. Which means I’ve only competed in 1 legitimate race this year which was the hugely enjoyable Bedgebury 10 with generous numbers of NSC participants.
1 race, 4 park runs and will hit my 1k total miles target next week. Biggest 2020 achievement is staying relatively injury free through the year and running most weeks. Love to run and hope to always be able to but really missing the competitive challenge of a park run and buzz of race day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

12 runners slower than 22 mins......out of 330 ! 15 mins wouldn’t get you in the top 20.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

As Dazzer says no shame in last place with that field. Caroline Wood 15th to last and the Gasson in 5th last place. Awful rain and wind that day. Good luck.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Was hoping to do a real race on Sunday but was dependant on Kent coming out of tier 3. Which means I’ve only competed in 1 legitimate race this year which was the hugely enjoyable Bedgebury 10 with generous numbers of NSC participants.
1 race, 4 park runs and will hit my 1k total miles target next week. Biggest 2020 achievement is staying relatively injury free through the year and running most weeks. Love to run and hope to always be able to but really missing the competitive challenge of a park run and buzz of race day.

Bedgebury feels like a long time ago now. That was a great day and race out and then I had the Brighton Half-Marathon which is probably my running highlight of the year.

I’ll post my 2020 end of year report in a couple of weeks. I think I’ve ran Just five events, but only raced three and completed 2 Park Runs (one hungover NYD) it’s undoubtedly been my favourite and best running year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Strava IG-story style year review is quite a nice touch if you've not seen it yet.

I'll save sharing the details of mine until the year is over though. Still 13 days, and 13 days of running to go! I'm currently contemplating what my first ever Christmas Day run should be...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Strava IG-story style year review is quite a nice touch if you've not seen it yet.

I'll save sharing the details of mine until the year is over though. Still 13 days, and 13 days of running to go! I'm currently contemplating what my first ever Christmas Day run should be...

I don’t know why they don’t wait until the end of the year to post it. Daft.

I love running on Christmas Day....usually see quite a few others out too (in normal times several parkruns operate as well). Great start to the day [emoji106]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm planning running our actual parkrun course on Christmas Day.
Love the Christmas Day parkrun.
Haven't seen the strava year review, is it subscription only?
I'll be using the fetcheveryone one.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
infographic (2).png
This is how it looks so far

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm planning running our actual parkrun course on Christmas Day.
Love the Christmas Day parkrun.
Haven't seen the strava year review, is it subscription only?
I'll be using the fetcheveryone one.

No, I'm not currently a Strava subscriber.

Go to "Profile" in the bottom menu bar and pretty much in the middle of the screen there should be an orange screen-wide button "See Your Year In Sport". Tap that.

(This is on iOS anyway - assume Android is the same)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just managed to take another bit off my 5km non-PB 19:48 -> 19:11.

Very happy with that as most of it was into quite a stiff breeze, and I had to do a fair bit of swerving of cars at junctions and on driveways.

I can remember when 25 minutes felt like an impossible time for 5km, so to be within touching distance of 18:xx feels almost unreal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here