Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
The Strava IG-story style year review is quite a nice touch if you've not seen it yet.

I'll save sharing the details of mine until the year is over though. Still 13 days, and 13 days of running to go! I'm currently contemplating what my first ever Christmas Day run should be...

The Strava Year Review stats are really cool this year but agree with Dazzer, it would be nice to receive it once the year ends. We haven't quite finished yet! :)

Christmas Day hill reps 10 x 30 secs (jog recovery)? :lol:

I don’t know why they don’t wait until the end of the year to post it. Daft.

I love running on Christmas Day....usually see quite a few others out too (in normal times several parkruns operate as well). Great start to the day [emoji106]

New Year's Day parkrun is also a really fun one.

I was just thinking what a pleasure it was to meet the Gaffer [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] who was kind enough to meet up with me at Worthing parkrun on the last Saturday parkrun of last year (Dec. 28th I think) when I was down visiting my family. :bowdown: I also had the honour of meeting [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] on marshalling duty. It definitely made it a special parkrun for me that day and what parkrun is all about I think!

Hopefully we can do a NSC Runners meet up next year?

Just managed to take another bit off my 5km non-PB 19:48 -> 19:11.

Very happy with that as most of it was into quite a stiff breeze, and I had to do a fair bit of swerving of cars at junctions and on driveways.

I can remember when 25 minutes felt like an impossible time for 25km so to be within touching distance of 18:xx feels almost unreal!

Fantastic running Bozza! Your improvement this year has been phenomenal! Congrats! :clap2:

I also fancied having a little blast out this morning with a 5k time trial / not parkrun. I thought I had timed it perfectly to head out for a dry run but the heavens opened as soon as I had made it to the park so it was a tough effort in absolutely torrential rain and wind.

Still really happy to have come home in 17:00 on the nose (unofficial). A nice bench mark for where I'm at currently.

As soon as I finished the rain stopped, the wind disappeared and the sun came out.... :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just managed to take another bit off my 5km non-PB 19:48 -> 19:11.

Very happy with that as most of it was into quite a stiff breeze, and I had to do a fair bit of swerving of cars at junctions and on driveways.

I can remember when 25 minutes felt like an impossible time for 5km, so to be within touching distance of 18:xx feels almost unreal!

Incredible. Think you should definitely stick to never racing any of us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought I'd drag this thread kicking and screaming onto page 1, from page FOUR!

End of the run streak for me on Sunday – at 205 days. Started again today and we'll see how it goes. On the plus side, I managed to pick up a few more 'Local Legend' crowns, meaning I'm up to 18 now :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Strava tells me only 32 miles to go to reach a low 500 miles for 2020. Happy I'd managed that much with 5 months laid up until I realised that it includes 100+ miles of hill walking.

Still a small target to aim for and will get me out in the rain for a dawdle this morning. Looking forward to tomorrows mini intervals 4 X 1/4 mile aiming at steadily working through the gears. Then a frosty Xmas Day sunshine jog followed by the traditional sea dip.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Good news on the Strava Year in Review stats front - it looks like this year Strava have changed it so that our total 2020 Year in Review "IG story style" stats are getting automatically updated through to the end of the year which is pretty cool.

CC: [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] & [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good news on the Strava Year in Review stats front - it looks like this year Strava have changed it so that our total 2020 Year in Review "IG story style" stats are getting automatically updated through to the end of the year which is pretty cool.

CC: [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] & [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

Just checked mine....

...’Is that all you lazy ****ard ?’

Thanks Strava [emoji16]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Buttocks...........................................suffering slightly. I'll leave the mini intervals for Xmas morning, subject to a last minute medical.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I also fancied having a little blast out this morning with a 5k time trial / not parkrun. I thought I had timed it perfectly to head out for a dry run but the heavens opened as soon as I had made it to the park so it was a tough effort in absolutely torrential rain and wind.

Still really happy to have come home in 17:00 on the nose (unofficial). A nice bench mark for where I'm at currently.

As soon as I finished the rain stopped, the wind disappeared and the sun came out.... :lol:

No bad for a fellow old boy like me! The weather does tend to act like that though doesn't it.....

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Did my East arm of Brighton Marina to Saltdean (end of the undercliff) and back yesterday - 5.6 miles. 54 minutes exactly. 1 minute 7 seconds off of last time's time. Very pleased as a getting on for 65 year-old.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Another great running year by the thread brotherhood in a year almost wholly without the stimulus of proper events.

An Xmas Day 5k on a freezing cold prom: 22.48 (AG73.57%). Respectable.

A very happy (and safe) Christmas to all.

Respectable!! I dream of getting over the 70% barrier again!

Good running on a deceptively cold morning

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit jaded this morning but seeing an in form Mr Blobby helped me get my act together and join the hundreds going in the sea. Enjoying a small glass of 14 year old Glenlivet now to warm up and best to leave running for tomorrow.

Happy Xmas to one and all.

Jimmy Grimble

Merry Christmas to all on here.

Only started running with the first lockdown but have loved checking in on this thread since then and appreciated the help given with my minor injury earlier in the year.

I’m (probably too ambitiously) aiming for a sub 20 5k by the end of the year. Hit 20:53 a month ago and have done six 10k+ runs since then as well as a lot of cardio HIIT sessions. I suspect I’ll fall a bit short but it’s good to set the bar high, right?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Merry Christmas to all on here.

Only started running with the first lockdown but have loved checking in on this thread since then and appreciated the help given with my minor injury earlier in the year.

I’m (probably too ambitiously) aiming for a sub 20 5k by the end of the year. Hit 20:53 a month ago and have done six 10k+ runs since then as well as a lot of cardio HIIT sessions. I suspect I’ll fall a bit short but it’s good to set the bar high, right?

I've aimed for sub 20 every year since I first joined this thread. 2021 won't be any different!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Belated Happy Christmas to all fellow NSC runners! Great to see the boss (knocky1) on Christmas morning, met a couple of other footy mates not seen since February to do the Hove Prom Parkrun. It was great to be back running on Hove Prom. With the stay local lockdown could be a while before I do it again. My mum due an Operation 4/1, so as I cant go in with her will do a run along the seafront that day as they said I need to collect her 4 hours later. Anyway I hope all have a good year and setting some realistic goals for 2021, who know when we will be back at races, I am hoping post Easter once the vaccine rolled out, but who knowns. I hope to get to 1,800 miles for the year, was hampered a little by having 7 days off after my tumble at the Plumpton south downs trail race then getting a track and trace isolation message so basically didn't run for 16 days! I hope to do a few more runs on the downs as that is kinda local to me, need to get more hill running in as still hoping the SDW50 will go ahead in April. Stay safe all x

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got a new Garmin in September. The 735xt and it's much better on speed of GPS location. Problem is that for every unfit, lardarse run I've done since it tells me that I have smashed various pbs. Today I PBed at 10K in 56".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here