Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Knocked off over a minute of my Marina to Saltdean and back run this morning. 52 minutes 41 seconds.

Attachments

• Saltdean Run.JPG
    Saltdean Run.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 67

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Well done, Jack. Good to see another old bugger doing well. On which note I'm pleased to report that my first 10k as a newly minted 66 year old was my fastest of 2020 @ 48.33. Perfect conditions helped!

You've set me a target! That seems very impressive. Was your route all down hill?!! :lolol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No, afraid not. This was the pan-flat and windless (today!) Worthing prom. Just to give an indication of its runner-friendliness Worthing parkrun (in effect the same course as the one I run) is ranked as one of the fastest courses in the country - out of some 500+. You just need to weave around hundreds of walkers, youngster on scooters and the odd cyclist who think he's in the Tour de France.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting to see the benefit of a pace-maker / running with someone faster to assist performance.

Joe Wicks, The Body Coach, set himself a goal of running a 19:30 5km by the end of the year. He started a short while back at around 22 minutes. His previous effort, last week, was a 19:38.

Today he had his last try and said he had brought a friend along to help him pace his effort. His "friend' turned out to be Sir Mo Farah and, with that help, Joe ran an 18:45 which is astounding!

D

Deleted member 2719

Interesting to see the benefit of a pace-maker / running with someone faster to assist performance.

Joe Wicks, The Body Coach, set himself a goal of running a 19:30 5km by the end of the year. He started a short while back at around 22 minutes. His previous effort, last week, was a 19:38.

Today he had his last try and said he had brought a friend along to help him pace his effort. His "friend' turned out to be Sir Mo Farah and, with that help, Joe ran an 18:45 which is astounding!

This a great idea but doesn't suit me as a runner as my partner may want to talk and there would be no chance of that if I was trying to hit a PB!

D

Deleted member 2719

Left it to the last day but hit my distance yearly record going over a by a massive 800m not miles lads, metres!! 25% increase on last year and hope to repeat the same 2021.

I also done my most distance in a month today and recorded my fastest time since February.:O

So all in all happy with that.

Happy New year guys and gals.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another ORT regular sending belated seasonal greetings. I'm still plodding on, picking up Strava local legends as I go and dodging people (even at early o'clock) and icy surfaces as I go. Planning on a HM tomorrow morning to finish the year in style and just under 1,700 miles.

Here's to a fantastic 2021 for all of you. May all your running wishes come true. I only have one and that's another crack at Moyleman. Not sure how likely that will be, but fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Job done and the conditions – underfoot at least, not the biting wind – were perfect. Sub-zero, but the mud was slightly frozen, meaning it was perfect for running on. Half marathon to Bramber and back (with a Shoreham Beach loop) with the dog, taking me to 1692 miles for the year.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Which kind of shows that you need to get to parkrun as as soon as it comes back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tapping out of 2020 running after a gentle 8 mile jog this morning. Steady but unspectacular year, mileage pretty good (highest ever I think) but lack of events is a bit demotivating at times. Coped with a minor but irritating niggle since the end of May so quite pleased to have maintained consistent volume. Probably the first year where I have avoided anything that’s given me an enforced 4 weeks+ break. Only managed two ‘real’ marathons, one virtual marathon (ish) and a virtual 50 miler. Happy New Year to all ORT Threadsters and best wishes for a much better 2021. Onwards [emoji106]

e0922db2a32e6cd9bc90834d5a0ea30e.jpg

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Gentle 6km today to finish off the year. 2020 was a good year for running volume: total of 3171km which is my highest ever, by a country kilometre, and I've never got much over 2000km in previous years.

A Strava friend has just pointed out that my year total is 20 miles short of 2000 miles. Luckily, as per previous discussions on this thread, I don't care to set targets in archaic measurement systems, so failure to reach this "mile" stone is irrelevant to me.

I'm even more pleased with my Covid run streak, which started around the date of lockdown 1, and which reaches 285 days of daily running today, and I'm clearly (bar injury) on course for 300 days or possibly a full year of daily running.

Speed-wise, my year was much less impressive. I've not come near any PBs, which I put down to my advanced age (65) and the relative lack of speed work in my training this year. Races have been virtually non-existent. Apart from a few parkruns in Jan/Feb (and as we know, these aren't races), I only managed two races (Brighton Half, and Beachy Head half), both in respectable but short-of-PB times.

Next year, I'm going to work hard on running form and technique (I've read a very interesting new book on this recently - "Shane Benzie: The Lost Art of Running" - which, although I don't know how much science is behind it, has given me a different way of looking at running form, and I'm going to give it a go), and try to get some more speedwork and races in.

I wish all of NSC running thread contributors and aficionados a happy, and injury-free New Year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gentle 6km today to finish off the year. 2020 was a good year for running volume: total of 3171km which is my highest ever, by a country kilometre, and I've never got much over 2000km in previous years.

A Strava friend has just pointed out that my year total is 20 miles short of 2000 miles. Luckily, as per previous discussions on this thread, I don't care to set targets in archaic measurement systems, so failure to reach this "mile" stone is irrelevant to me.

I'm even more pleased with my Covid run streak, which started around the date of lockdown 1, and which reaches 285 days of daily running today, and I'm clearly (bar injury) on course for 300 days or possibly a full year of daily running.

Speed-wise, my year was much less impressive. I've not come near any PBs, which I put down to my advanced age (65) and the relative lack of speed work in my training this year. Races have been virtually non-existent. Apart from a few parkruns in Jan/Feb (and as we know, these aren't races), I only managed two races (Brighton Half, and Beachy Head half), both in respectable but short-of-PB times.

Next year, I'm going to work hard on running form and technique (I've read a very interesting new book on this recently - "Shane Benzie: The Lost Art of Running" - which, although I don't know how much science is behind it, has given me a different way of looking at running form, and I'm going to give it a go), and try to get some more speedwork and races in.

I wish all of NSC running thread contributors and aficionados a happy, and injury-free New Year.

How weird - I'm exactly 20 short of 2,000 too, and equally couldn't care less :)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Great year's running. Although we are situated at the same end of the NSC Runners age distribution graph (aka the 'wrong end'), we are clearly at different ends of the speed v. distance spectrum. I probably wouldn't have crossed the 500 miles annual total (not that I've ever kept a record), but I've tried to keep some speed. This has variously consisted of running up the vertical slope of the Steyning Borstal as fast as I can, running hill repeats as fast as I can, running the NSC 1 mile challenge and the highlight being bowled along the Worthing prom with a very stiff following wind for a 5K in a time I'll never do again. We'd probably 'meet' around the 10K distance.........

Happy new year to all!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also calling it for 2020.

Just back from a half-marathon, which I only did as I noticed via Strava that I'd not completed one this month. A not-really-trying 1:41i:23 is indicative of what a year it's been for me. That's my fourth best time over the distance, and my HM best was 1:53:51 just over a year ago.

It was blinking freezing but I'm a #ShortsAlways advocate (I don't actually own anything else) and it was nice to be out in the sun after quite a few yucky runs this month when I went out in the evening, after dark. in the pissing rain.

2,252 miles in total for the year, and yesterday I hit 11 months of running every day. I started the streak on January 31st after an injury-hit start to the year, caused by over-doing it at the end of December last year in order to hit 500 miles for 2019. As a non-racer each of those 336 runs started and ended at my front door, and those front doors have been in Worthing 328 times, a Heathrow hotel once and Orlando seven times.

I've had PB improvements all over the board - the first time was my best on January 1st and the second is my best today:

5km - 21:57 - 19:11
10km - 46:10 - 41:32
10m - 1:19-39 - 1:10:36
HM - 1:46:31 - 1:34:48

No real plans for 2021 other than to keep on keeping on - mix up road and trail and see where it takes me. t turn 50 in 2021 so it feels like I should set some sort of lofty goal to aim for, but I have no idea what that would be right now.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and inspiration over the course of this bizarre year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

It definitely makes a difference, especially with longer runs. I saw your previous post where you noted your longer distance PBs don't quite match up with your 5K efforts (although they still look like decent times). I guarantee if you ran a half marathon race with other people to pace off, you'd smash your PB.

All of my PBs have come in races. I don't think I could touch most of them on a solo run.

Anyway, happy new year to all of you on this great thread. Let's hope for some real races in 2021.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, and be careful out there.

Weaving in and out of pedestrians on the packed Worthing seafront, I waved at some good friends that I ran by.

When I got home, I messaged them to apologise for startling them, to be told that further on their walk along the prom they came across a lady screaming for help as her running husband had just collapsed. My friend tried giving CPR and was still doing so when the ambulance turned up. "It wasn't looking good" was the somewhat sobering message.

Fingers crossed for the poor chap involved.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
In what has been a shit year, running has been a complete saviour throughout.

Just a shame I finish the year self isolating. Frustrating too as I’m on annual leave all through Christmas and New Year. At least I can give the body a weeks rest and start from fresh next year.

I thought without races I’d struggle for motivation but it’s been quite the opposite. I’ve loved just getting out of the house after working from home all day and this has helped me clock 2000+ miles this year. Almost 700 more than my next highest total last year.

I peaked in terms of speed around July but then started to feel a tight Achilles so knocked the fast stuff on the head for a little while. I’ve probably not got back to my summer form but I’m not too far off.

Despite the lack of races I’ve PB’d in four distances

1 mile - 5:20
3k - 10:46
5k - 18:05
HM - 1:26:02

Bring on next year and hopefully a return to Park Run around April and a chance to meet up again for The Weakest Link Relay.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Also calling it for 2020.

Just back from a half-marathon, which I only did as I noticed via Strava that I'd not completed one this month. A not-really-trying 1:41i:23 is indicative of what a year it's been for me. That's my fourth best time over the distance, and my HM best was 1:53:51 just over a year ago.

It was blinking freezing but I'm a #ShortsAlways advocate (I don't actually own anything else) and it was nice to be out in the sun after quite a few yucky runs this month when I went out in the evening, after dark. in the pissing rain.

2,252 miles in total for the year, and yesterday I hit 11 months of running every day. I started the streak on January 31st after an injury-hit start to the year, caused by over-doing it at the end of December last year in order to hit 500 miles for 2019. As a non-racer each of those 336 runs started and ended at my front door, and those front doors have been in Worthing 328 times, a Heathrow hotel once and Orlando seven times.

I've had PB improvements all over the board - the first time was my best on January 1st and the second is my best today:

5km - 21:57 - 19:11
10km - 46:10 - 41:32
10m - 1:19-39 - 1:10:36
HM - 1:46:31 - 1:34:48

No real plans for 2021 other than to keep on keeping on - mix up road and trail and see where it takes me. t turn 50 in 2021 so it feels like I should set some sort of lofty goal to aim for, but I have no idea what that would be right now.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and inspiration over the course of this bizarre year.

All of which puts you well in the frame for the coveted NSC Runner of the Year award.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In what has been a shit year, running has been a complete saviour throughout.

Just a shame I finish the year self isolating. Frustrating too as I’m on annual leave all through Christmas and New Year. At least I can give the body a weeks rest and start from fresh next year.

I thought without races I’d struggle for motivation but it’s been quite the opposite. I’ve loved just getting out of the house after working from home all day and this has helped me clock 2000+ miles this year. Almost 700 more than my next highest total last year.

I peaked in terms of speed around July but then started to feel a tight Achilles so knocked the fast stuff on the head for a little while. I’ve probably not got back to my summer form but I’m not too far off.

Despite the lack of races I’ve PB’d in four distances

1 mile - 5:20
3k - 10:46
5k - 18:05
HM - 1:26:02

Bring on next year and hopefully a return to Park Run around April and a chance to meet up again for The Weakest Link Relay.

And you!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
End of Year Report for me

1531miles which is over 500 more than 2019 and more than 100000 feet of climbing.

No pbs and hardly any events (possibly just Bedgebury but that doesn’t count as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] beat me), a handful of parkruns and 42 notparkruns.

Despite all the shit this year, I have enjoyed running more than ever - especially up on the Downs which were huge place of solace and reflection for me especially during the first lockdown. I remember the feeling of it being spring, the greenery and the blue skies were a massive positive on my mental health at the time.
Leaving my company after 32 years in July has also meant I have had much more time to run and I have loved regularly running 3x10 mile+ runs a week.

Happy New Year to you all and thanks as ever for the support and inspiration that this thread brings.

I’ll sign off with my favourite photo of the Downs this year. Heres to 2021 and meeting up next year!
AD156423-2BA7-4408-953A-CE068D92F5D7.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports