Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Managed 330 enjoyable running miles running this year. Around 10% of Arties volume and 50% of my usual mileage.

Started the year with a number of XC races and the highlight was the Southern XC Championship at Parliament Hill. Finished a reputable 1057th out of 1100 finishers. Continued building up to fitness and set a target of chasing [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at the well attended NSC Bedgebury 10m. Pace was bit fast for me but I managed to just hang on with a painful last mile up the hill.

Then I had a month off after the successful polyp removal (thankfuly that was before Covid). Came back with slow mileage runs before having a bash at the GNT Mile Challenge . Got 5:56 without the magic shoes and any speed training. Will be chasing that in 2021.
Then [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] had his revenge. I joined his Not Parkrun route and died a death 2 minutes behind and dropped out at 2.9 miles. A week later with the only run ever in the Vaporfly I ran a nice 20:45 in the English Athletics Virtual Relays.

Then had rheumatoid arthritis flare up in July and I had to stop running. Something I have had to patiently deal with every few years since 1988. 34 miles of swimming in 2020 helped keep a bit of fitness during this.

Back running now and looking forward to meeting up with you all in various places in 2021. Also managed my worst Parkrun SB in over 11 years. 22:12 in just 2 appearances.

For 2021 I will aim for a summer of 5k and mile races plus the showdown with GNT at the Worthing 10K.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure this has been asked many times in this huge thread, but how would you suggest a middle aged over weight non runner gets started? (Be kind)

I did a 10k a few years ago in 53 mins, but I was doing a lot of spin at the time. Nothing to draw on now, so starting from scratch. Will drop some pounds to ease the pressure on my knees.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was a 52 year old , overweight beginner 2 years ago. Last year i did 1300 miles or so and back to fighting weight.
this is what worked for me... (although if you've done 10K a couple of years ago - then sounds like you're half way there already)
- i didn't give up. i had a few false starts. i did a couple of runs then stopped for a bit. Found it hard to start again.
- i didn't do couch to 5K - i got there off the bat after about 4 or 5 runs where i pushed myself. I think i was already pretty fit but didn't know it due to playing football/dog walks/commuting walking but loads of people swear buy it. its scientifically proven and works.
- this thread - lots of support, case studies and help. one of the best things on NSC.
- Strava (but there's lots of similar apps) is still really useful to track progress, its an incentive to run faster, longer, and get support from fellow runners.
- Park runs were great at first having a weekly event, . seeing others in the same boat. Obviously thats not an option now but having a regular weekly 5k at 9am to shoot for might helps with training.
- After a bit then setting myself a few targets kept things going (entering a half marathon, and then some ambitious charity runstreak targets worked for me.)
- social media - i find sharing how you're doing is really helpful. people are very encouraging which keeps you going.
PS warm up. at my age i've been lucky and only really had one minor muscle injury in two years.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Hello folks, Firstly, a very happy new year to you all :)

Thought I’d better get my review of 2020 in quickly before I start thinking about the coming year, blimey it seems like ages since I last posted an update on here!

My run streak which started back in April came to an end in early November courtesy of a mild bout of illness, I clocked up 209 consecutive days and covered 1439 miles in the process.
When I got my shoes back on I revised my annual target up to 2200 miles (a rearranged 2020) because let’s face it, covid rearranged the year for all of us!! This would also represent an increase of 1000 miles on my 2019 total.

I hit this target on 18th December and have unashamedly taken my foot off the gas since, for 2020 I’m declaring (entirely by design) a final total of 2222 miles.

It’s been such a strange year, an early season PB at Hove Parkrun and then a decent effort in trying conditions for the Brighton half, it seems like a lifetime ago.

I also completed the Brighton Marathon virtually, I took the easy option of 4@5 miles and 1@6.2 miles, my cumulative time was 3.11.04 and placed me 7th overall out of those who took up that option. This did also bring home how hard it will be to try and achieve this kind of time over the full distance.

I also shaved a couple of seconds off my 10K PB in the final segment attempt, alas not an official record in my books but as my course was repeated laps of mainly up and down it did make me think what I could have done on the flat and this does at least offer some encouragement for further improvement.

Hopefully 2021 will provide the opportunities we all want for getting out there again and reconnecting with the events we love.

In the meantime stay safe and healthy and happy running :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
5k in 22.12. AG 76.26%

This is what I think I'd call 'early season form' - the equivalent of the Albion going to the top of the table after the first two games in August. And we know what happens next...........

Off to a flying start. Just the motivation I need.

Have decided to not enter the Moyleman if registration opens. It would be too much at the moment and not help with my plan to go faster at shorter distances this year. There is a slight chance of it going ahead due to 250 limit and open space of the course.

Apologies to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] for pulling out. I am happy to register for the relay with anyone on here where 2 people do half the course each. Any volunteers?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
5k in 22.12. AG 76.26%

This is what I think I'd call 'early season form' - the equivalent of the Albion going to the top of the table after the first two games in August. And we know what happens next...........

Have you transferred the Worthing 10K entry?
Just done mine. If June 13th is a little too early due to the pandemic, I'll meet you at Worthing Pier at 8am for the GNT Course AG 10K showdown.........

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Have you transferred the Worthing 10K entry?
Just done mine. If June 13th is a little too early due to the pandemic, I'll meet you at Worthing Pier at 8am for the GNT Course AG 10K showdown.........

Yes, mate. Well I think I have; I got a bit lost in the system. This gives me a handy excuse if I'm not in any sort of form and want to bottle out on the day! I managed a 48.33 over 10K last week, but will need to improve by at least a minute I reckon to edge you on AG. But it's a long way off. TBH I'd be happy just that it goes ahead.
But yes, if it's not on we can have a head-to-head. (I know we're important but I don't think I can get Worthing Council to close the roads just for us; but a double Worthing Parkrun is viable.)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
really chuffed with this, especially following the christmas period where I slacked off a little. It's my furthest to date (still no speed awards being won here!)

Capture.PNG

I'm hoping to do my first ever 10 miler before the end of January, plus I've signed up for the Strava 100km January challenge.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
really chuffed with this, especially following the christmas period where I slacked off a little. It's my furthest to date (still no speed awards being won here!)

View attachment 132028

I'm hoping to do my first ever 10 miler before the end of January, plus I've signed up for the Strava 100km January challenge.

Brilliant run.:ascarf:

Be careful with the 100km challenge by listening to the body, warm up, cool down, easy days, stretching and walking some of those miles, if necessary.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Also calling it for 2020.

Just back from a half-marathon, which I only did as I noticed via Strava that I'd not completed one this month. A not-really-trying 1:41i:23 is indicative of what a year it's been for me. That's my fourth best time over the distance, and my HM best was 1:53:51 just over a year ago.

It was blinking freezing but I'm a #ShortsAlways advocate (I don't actually own anything else) and it was nice to be out in the sun after quite a few yucky runs this month when I went out in the evening, after dark. in the pissing rain.

2,252 miles in total for the year, and yesterday I hit 11 months of running every day. I started the streak on January 31st after an injury-hit start to the year, caused by over-doing it at the end of December last year in order to hit 500 miles for 2019. As a non-racer each of those 336 runs started and ended at my front door, and those front doors have been in Worthing 328 times, a Heathrow hotel once and Orlando seven times.

I've had PB improvements all over the board - the first time was my best on January 1st and the second is my best today:

5km - 21:57 - 19:11
10km - 46:10 - 41:32
10m - 1:19-39 - 1:10:36
HM - 1:46:31 - 1:34:48

No real plans for 2021 other than to keep on keeping on - mix up road and trail and see where it takes me. t turn 50 in 2021 so it feels like I should set some sort of lofty goal to aim for, but I have no idea what that would be right now.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and inspiration over the course of this bizarre year.

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but a 50-miler would seem an obvious – and very gettable, given your form – challenge :shrug:

Congrats on a great 2020 – another vote for NSC Runner of the Year :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Off to a flying start. Just the motivation I need.

Have decided to not enter the Moyleman if registration opens. It would be too much at the moment and not help with my plan to go faster at shorter distances this year. There is a slight chance of it going ahead due to 250 limit and open space of the course.

Apologies to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] for pulling out. I am happy to register for the relay with anyone on here where 2 people do half the course each. Any volunteers?

No worries. I actually doubt it will go ahead, but if it does, I'll run in your honour :lolol:

PS: If you're doing the relay, do the first half – the second half is WAY harder!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No worries. I actually doubt it will go ahead, but if it does, I'll run in your honour :lolol:

PS: If you're doing the relay, do the first half – the second half is WAY harder!

Just rightfully cancelled.
I’d prefer the second half for a relay team. Food stand at Glynde and the run into the Brewery Yard to be welcomed by a freshly cooked pizza and a pint of Harvey’s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
False start to 2021 for me........vertigo episode on NYD and not over it yet. Already WAY behind my mileage target [emoji90][emoji90]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks....probably not. Had one episode previously that was much more severe but passed in a few hours. Think that was preferable to this !

IF it’s an inner ear inflammation making yourself cry from raw onions and squeezing raw onion around the outer ear lobe is something I have done with pain from swimming.

A good cry won’t do any harm at the moment, especially if you can’t even get out for a run. Now where’s my tin foil hat...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here