Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went out last night as I couldn't resist trying my new GTS 16s. It was a massive struggle - my legs really don't have anything left in them. Today is going to be a rest day on the bike.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ruined myself at the weekend. More beer than i knew what to do with at Edgbaston followed by a midnight curry and then three days away with the kids eating hotel and amusement park food. Haven't weighed myself but can bet I've put on a bit. Attempted a steady run yesterday to get back in to it, having not done a long run on Sunday, and it went ok but my pacing was far less consistent than it has been. Marathon fitness - despite the promises to myself to keep it - has gone, as has trail running. Just not enough time with all the extra family stuff to do in summer.

My hope now is to do a short-ish aerobic threshold (about 8.55s) tomorrow and get out for a proper long run on Sunday to burn off the bad living before more speed work next week. No wonder [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] struggled after his cricket marathon last year, one day of it was a killer!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have you got a target time for the Phoenix? I was hoping for a 43ish but unless I get in some serious training in during the next 2 weeks it's looking more like 45ish. I can always fall back on the AG to cheer me up but I'd like to do a decent time and even get close to some of the other NSC whippets. I plan to the 2 Parkruns between now and the 10K and I'd do those flat-out if only for morale purposes (I'm not very strategic).

My flat out was the Weakest Link 2.5km legs. Really took it out of me. My target is sub 43 for the Phoenix, a long way from the whippets. I will be strategically at Hove Prom Parkrun this Saturday and aiming at a 6:55 pace (43:00 10k pace) to get used to running on the flat. Your AG NSC silver record is under no threat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are you on for the Phoenix 10k? I'd like to have a go at you before you lose 5kg. May get within a minute of you.
The Dazzer/Bozza running zones debate is interesting. Marathon training with no speed work produces my best 5k times all year. This is 90% 9:00 pace and 30-50 miles a week.
This month I have trained at either 10k or steady pace (6:45 to 7:00 or 8:00 to 8:20) for 6-20 miles a week. This is a big pace increase and my legs have reached a point where they are too knackered to run above 10k pace. Hit a training wall but not overtraining. No gain without pain.
2 days to go and a slight taper sets in (mixing shorter distances, shorter faster bursts, holding back on Parkrun and easy 9:30 runs). What I'm looking forward to is what this will produce at the Phoenix.

Then it's down to the real business of tackling the 5k
Not at the moment, don't think I can make it.

I was a bit surprised at my Hove prom parkrun time the week before the 100 as I've done no speedy stuff for ages. Spoke to my guru about it and he said it's down to aerobic endurance being vastly improved due to long distance training, which would correlate with your 5k pbs on the back of marathon training. Hopefully can now maintain some of that whilst working on speed (next long term goal being a marathon PB so training will still incorporate long efforts). Hopeful a sub 20 parkrun is doable at some point at least

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I was a bit surprised at my Hove prom parkrun time the week before the 100 as I've done no speedy stuff for ages. Spoke to my guru about it and he said it's down to aerobic endurance being vastly improved due to long distance training, which would correlate with your 5k pbs on the back of marathon training. Hopefully can now maintain some of that whilst working on speed (next long term goal being a marathon PB so training will still incorporate long efforts). Hopeful a sub 20 parkrun is doable at some point at least

Worked for me too - 22.16 5K (PB by over a minute) on the hilly HP course two weeks after Brighton.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

That matches my own experiences when I was training for my first half marathon, I wasn't doing parkrun for the vast majority of the 12 week training schedule - but once it was done and dusted I was markedly quicker over 5k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Set a date 2-4 Saturday's after the July 13th Phoenix and we can all do a Parkrun NSC Challenge. Remember the ethos is for all runners to go all out with a personal pb attack and, of course, win.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went out last night as I couldn't resist trying my new GTS 16s. It was a massive struggle - my legs really don't have anything left in them. Today is going to be a rest day on the bike.

Looked at the forecast, thought "no way I'm going for a long ride in the pissing rain" and headed out for another 5 miles. Intentionally pedestrian paced and possibly my most uniform splits ever, all being within a 9 second span, although that required me to gradually work harder given the profile of my run.

1ad74cff974c9ff8e6f3d0e609647f19.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My flat out was the Weakest Link 2.5km legs. Really took it out of me. My target is sub 43 for the Phoenix, a long way from the whippets. I will be strategically at Hove Prom Parkrun this Saturday and aiming at a 6:55 pace (43:00 10k pace) to get used to running on the flat. Your AG NSC silver record is under no threat.

I'll be at Worthing prom and if the wind is anything like today's (which I experienced) then both proms will be a real battle and planned times will be blown away, I think. But good luck. I'll be trying to do 21.15 - but that will be flat-out. Seen your parkrun challenge too - specify course? (Presume you want a 'home' game at Hove Park?)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back on the usual Bobkin 10k route this morning taking it VERY easy. I know it's not all about the miles, but I'm back to 80 miles for the month, which mentally is good for me.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1233989192

I'm back to HP on Saturday, none of this prom nonsense for a while :lol:

Is [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] OK? I know he's recovering from injury and moving/moved house, but I've not seen him on here for a while...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] OK? I know he's recovering from injury and moving/moved house, but I've not seen him on here for a while...

He said he would run last week in the relay, if needed (as he was). Just taking it easy for him and fast for us.

I'll be at Worthing prom and if the wind is anything like today's (which I experienced) then both proms will be a real battle and planned times will be blown away, I think. But good luck. I'll be trying to do 21.15 - but that will be flat-out. Seen your parkrun challenge too - specify course? (Presume you want a 'home' game at Hove Park?)

I'm looking for a fast, flat course from July 20th onwards. Determined to get nearer to 20:00 5k and Hove Park adds about 15 seconds. So probably Hove Prom but if no uptake, I'll come and mix it with the Worthing boys. Is it a fast course?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
He said he would run last week in the relay, if needed (as he was). Just taking it easy for him and fast for us.

I'm looking for a fast, flat course from July 20th onwards. Determined to get nearer to 20:00 5k and Hove Park adds about 15 seconds. So probably Hove Prom but if no uptake, I'll come and mix it with the Worthing boys. Is it a fast course?

Well it's flat, wide and has just one turn (not at half-way so you have to watch your timing) but there's a slightly fiddly bit at the end. But I'd say it's about as fast as Hove prom although no definitive data. (Hove prom was my PB so have good vibes about it). I can make Hove (Park or Prom) or Worthing so am happy wherever.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Back on the usual Bobkin 10k route this morning taking it VERY easy. I know it's not all about the miles, but I'm back to 80 miles for the month, which mentally is good for me.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1233989192

I'm back to HP on Saturday, none of this prom nonsense for a while :lol:

I'm still here but recuperating from my hamstring injury. The good news it is getting better, but still far from ideal. I've still been running but taking it slowly, my competitiveness means I run too fast at times even though I'm on my own.

I should probably bin the Garmin until recovered. My plan is to take in a Park Run the on the 9th July in prep for Phoenix, it might be Preston Park as I move tomorrow and that will be my home venue now.

Going into Phoenix with no expectation, if I feel good on the day I might threaten sub 40 if not then I'll enjoy a beer after.

The Park Run challenge sounds good and happy to try any of the venues. I definitely want to try Bevendean once fully recovered, it's definitely my only chance of ever winning one.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
At the halfway point of the year how are we all looking back at the past six months? No doubt targets were set New Year.

I would give my 2016 an 8 out of 10 running wise so far, but concerned that I'm struggling to shake off an injury at present so second half of the year may not be so strong.

I've run 436 miles so far this year over 62 runs average pace is 7 minutes dead.

My 5k pb has improved from 18:59 to 18:40
My 10k pb has improved from 40:39 to 40:08 still can't get the coveted sub 40 but I'm almost there
Half Marathon has improved from 1:32:23 to 1:27:23
Marathon pb has improved from 3:29:23 to 3:15:59

The Brighton marathon was definitely an highlight but was delighted with the HM too. I've decided to take a year of marathon running so I've entered the BM 10k instead.

Plenty of 10k's lined up between now and November so plenty of opportunities to grab a sub 40.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
At the halfway point of the year how are we all looking back at the past six months? No doubt targets were set New Year.

I would give my 2016 an 8 out of 10 running wise so far, but concerned that I'm struggling to shake off an injury at present so second half of the year may not be so strong.

I've run 436 miles so far this year over 62 runs average pace is 7 minutes dead.

My 10k pb has improved from 40:39 to 40:08 still can't get the coveted sub 40 but I'm almost there

The Brighton marathon was definitely an highlight but was delighted with the HM too. I've decided to take a year of marathon running so I've entered the BM 10k instead.

Plenty of 10k's lined up between now and November so plenty of opportunities to grab a sub 40.

Been a good year. 628 miles so far.

5K race PB - 22.16
HM race PB - 1.46.36
Marathon finish - 4.00.05 (Grrrrr)
Unofficially went under 50 mins for 10k in training - aiming for around 45 at Phoenix

Highlight? Obviously beating [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at Brighton :)lolol:) but he will have his revenge at Phoenix - that 45 is looking optimistic at current training.

Lowlight? Trying to get back in to training after the marathon. It hasn't felt the same, I've lacked motivation, drank too much beer and eaten too much crap food. In that respect I can't wait for September to do some serious Bright10 training and then really start upping the miles again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Yes - a good time to take stock and my perception is that across the thread there's been a lot of achievements. I'm such a sad b****** that I simply count old git category placings of which I've had 17 x 1sts, 3 x 2nds (including 2 duathlons) and 1 x 3rd - and nothing else. These are mostly Parkruns of course (sometimes with very few competitors in my category) but there is a 10K and a 4 miler in there somewhere. Topping it all, though, is the current Silver in the NSC AG competition.
In truth it's been my best (half) year ever; it can only go downhill from here. A sub 20 5K or 80% AG rating still seem a long way off - but you never know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good post and good time for reflection ! Cracking set of results.

Main focus for me was SDW100 and everything this year was aimed at that. Happy to have finished after failing last time, will also give myself an 8/10. Sub 24 would have been 9 or 10, my time is probably a 7 really but given conditions on the day and how pleased I was with overall management of the ace end to end I'll award an extra mark. It's also an effing long way. Happy to have got 5k time back down a bit, to 20.08 the week before the hundred so only 10s off of PB.

No other PBs, although did have course PBs on Steyning Stinger and Three Forts which was pleasing after a stuttering few months blighted by injury. Most remarkable was doing Brighton in 3.54 after not being able to run for 5 mins 10 days earlier. My physio is awarded a 10.

Rest of this year will be aimed at training for a marathon PB (Feb target booked in but may do another earlier one as a test run), plus another go at the Downslink 38 miler as I was crap at that last time. Will probably have half a handful of other marathons in the programme for fun (Lunartic, Mouth to Mouth, Beachy at least)

Just under 1000 miles for the year so far. Average pace is embarrassing [emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm still here but recuperating from my hamstring injury. The good news it is getting better, but still far from ideal. I've still been running but taking it slowly, my competitiveness means I run too fast at times even though I'm on my own.

I should probably bin the Garmin until recovered. My plan is to take in a Park Run the on the 9th July in prep for Phoenix, it might be Preston Park as I move tomorrow and that will be my home venue now.

Going into Phoenix with no expectation, if I feel good on the day I might threaten sub 40 if not then I'll enjoy a beer after.

The Park Run challenge sounds good and happy to try any of the venues. I definitely want to try Bevendean once fully recovered, it's definitely my only chance of ever winning one.
Good to great everything's ok. Good luck for the recovery and for Phoenix.

The parkrun challenge is scheduled for next Saturday - c.21 miles apparently. Should be good but I reckon I'll be done in by HP start line...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here